This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Burning In Upper Stomach

Mayflowers

Mayflowers Contributor

I have burning in my upper stomach. I was blood tested negative to h pylori.

I had an Upper GI Study done which showed only a hiatal hernia. Would the GI show an ulcer as well or would one have to have an endoscopy done. I can't even drink red wine now because of the burning. Is there other bacteria that can cause the same type of burning? Thanks.. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emilushka Contributor

H Pylori are the only bacteria that would cause that pain. The Upper GI study would not show an ulcer - that would have to be shown on endoscopy. The burning you're describing could be either gastritis and reflux or an ulcer, and without doing the endoscopy there's no way to know between those two.

The hiatal hernia will predispose you to having gastritis and reflux, so there's a good chance that you have those things (ulcer or not). Gastritis just means that your stomach wall is inflamed, and inflammation can cause the burning pain you describe.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're suffering like this! Are you on an acid reducer drug? Something with "prazole" or "tidine" in the name?

Mayflowers Contributor

H Pylori are the only bacteria that would cause that pain. The Upper GI study would not show an ulcer - that would have to be shown on endoscopy. The burning you're describing could be either gastritis and reflux or an ulcer, and without doing the endoscopy there's no way to know between those two.

The hiatal hernia will predispose you to having gastritis and reflux, so there's a good chance that you have those things (ulcer or not). Gastritis just means that your stomach wall is inflamed, and inflammation can cause the burning pain you describe.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're suffering like this! Are you on an acid reducer drug? Something with "prazole" or "tidine" in the name?

Thank you for your reply. My primary doctor wanted to put me on prilosec but I read that those acid reducer drugs are causing bone trouble like fosomax and Boniva. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis so I'm afraid to take that stuff, though sometimes the pain causes me to take a Pepcid to relieve the burning. My ND said that there are other bacteria that can cause an overgrowth in the stomach besides pylori, when I told him I was tested negative for pylori. I started taking Manuka honey 2-3 times a day and my stomach is improving. I actually drank some red wine today.

Looking for answers Contributor

I have noth h-pylori and a hiatal hernia. Very painful, so I completely understand. Blood tests are not the best for detecting h-pylori. My blood test and endoscopy were negative but stool anitgen was positive. That is the most accurate of all test. In fact, I just watch a webinar yesterday from Dr. Kalish explaining this. Manuka honey is great, so is mastic gum. Also probiotics and brocolli sprouts are great to keep the bacteria at bay is you do have it. Finally, when your stomach is really bad, try black licorice...you can find chewable tablets are natural foods stores. Good luck!

Emilushka Contributor

Thank you for your reply. My primary doctor wanted to put me on prilosec but I read that those acid reducer drugs are causing bone trouble like fosomax and Boniva. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis so I'm afraid to take that stuff, though sometimes the pain causes me to take a Pepcid to relieve the burning. My ND said that there are other bacteria that can cause an overgrowth in the stomach besides pylori, when I told him I was tested negative for pylori. I started taking Manuka honey 2-3 times a day and my stomach is improving. I actually drank some red wine today.

Acid reducers cause bone problems because reducing the acid in your stomach causes decreased calcium absorption. So if you need extra and you're taking the right amount, once you reduce the acid in your stomach, you're decreasing the amount of calcium that actually makes it into your body.

Pepcid does also reduce acid. It's a different class of drugs from Prilosec, but it it also reduces acid in your stomach. I think the key is to not take them too regularly so that you are still able to get your calcium properly overall. The other thing is that you can always take Tums (which have calcium in them and are gluten-free) to reduce heartburn. Just don't pop them like candy. :-)

pinki656 Rookie

I had burning in my stomach for days on end, became so painful I felt it all the way through to my back... Doing research i found (going along with the "tine" in it) ... try eating steamed cabbage.. has l-gltamine I think in it.. helped my tremendously and I feel so much better...

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I had chemical gastritis at one point from my medications. It was a boring burning sensation. NSAIDS, vitamins, and antidepressants were the culprit for me. Making sure I had a large snack or small meal and drank plenty of liquids with the meds made a difference as did switching to tylenol and chewable vitamins. If you are on meds of any kind, check with your doctor if they could be the trigger.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Loey Rising Star

I just tested positive for an ulcer after having a capsule endoscopy a week ago. I moved to a new state (after being bedridden for 6 weeks) literally the day after my old GI gave me all of my test results and told me I had Celiac and thought it went undiagnosed for years. She told me she wanted my new GI to order the capsule endoscopy as soon as I went to him/her because she was concerned about organ damage. My new doctor was hesitant to give me the test. I finally put my foot down after 5 weeks of excruciating abdominal, lower back and then vertical pain below my breastbone. He called me the day after the test (they had told me originally it would take 2-3 weeks to read the images) and has done a total 360 in his attitude. I'm having a biopsy on November 12th. I'm new to this forum and to Celiac and the other disorders associated with it but your pain definitely sounds like mine. I'm an avid researcher and have a lot of links to articles on ulcers. PM me if you want to vent. This forum has been a lifeline for me and has educated me more than I can say (and the Tickle Me Elbows Thread has been a great source of laughter- the greatest form of medicine). I'm currently an unemployed elementary and special education teacher and I LOVE researching. If anyone wants me to research anything feel free to let me know.

Loey smile.gif

Posting links about ulcers here. Hope they help!

Open Original Shared Link

Loey Rising Star

I had burning in my stomach for days on end, became so painful I felt it all the way through to my back... Doing research i found (going along with the "tine" in it) ... try eating steamed cabbage.. has l-gltamine I think in it.. helped my tremendously and I feel so much better...

I LOVE cabbage and was surprised it helped because it's gassy. I might try it since I'm waiting another two weeks until I have my ulcer biopsied.

Loey biggrin.gif

Hamster101 Rookie

I dont have time to read all of this right now, as I have to go soon, so I've skipped to the bottom to post. Sorry for any repeated advice.

Have you looked into the possibility of any other allergies? I developed a pork allergy along side Coeliacs, and I get a burning sensation in my upper stomach/ lower chest area every time I eat it by accident. Maybe you have got something similar going on?

Bobbie Jo Rookie

I dont have time to read all of this right now, as I have to go soon, so I've skipped to the bottom to post. Sorry for any repeated advice.

Have you looked into the possibility of any other allergies? I developed a pork allergy along side Coeliacs, and I get a burning sensation in my upper stomach/ lower chest area every time I eat it by accident. Maybe you have got something similar going on?

I'm suffering these syptoms tonight after eating candy with peanuts.

May I ask - how did you find out that you were allergic to pork?

Hamster101 Rookie

It was an elimination thing for me, though it wasnt planned. I visited my boyfriend in Australia and stayed with his family for six months. Whereas at home I would have a pork product nearly every day,over there they had one once every month. It was pretty easy to pinpoint the cause when it went away after a few weeks and came back again the evening after we had some pork at dinner.

Since getting home I avoided it til recently, then tried just a little square of gammon when I was feeling otherwise good. The reaction to that confirmed I'm allergic. It's just a trial and error thing, lol.

GFinDC Veteran

I have burning in my upper stomach. I was blood tested negative to h pylori.

I had an Upper GI Study done which showed only a hiatal hernia. Would the GI show an ulcer as well or would one have to have an endoscopy done. I can't even drink red wine now because of the burning. Is there other bacteria that can cause the same type of burning? Thanks.. :)

I looked up the symptoms of hiatal hernia on Mayo clinic's site and they sound like what you are describing. This is just a small section of the info available there:

Symptoms

By Mayo Clinic staff

Small hiatal hernias

Most small hiatal hernias cause no signs or symptoms.

Large hiatal hernias

Larger hiatal hernias can cause signs and symptoms such as:

* Heartburn

* Belching

* Chest pain

* Nausea

When to see a doctor

Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any persistent signs or symptoms that worry you.

Loey Rising Star

Taking NSAIDS (like Advil, etc) can also affect ulcers, GI tract or cause burning sensations., right? It is SOOO good to have a doctor on the forum who understands!!!!!!!!!!

Still waiting two weeks for biopsy of my ulcer . I think I mentioned moved to a small town with a very small hospital. In my old town/state it would have been done already because I used Princeton Medical Center which was a teaching hospital. My old GP (somewhat like House as I mentioned before but not cruel and never performed unnecessary tests) I always had a great relationship with him -his biggest similarity to House was that he just didn't listen to the administration and follow rules if it was something that would help his patients and he was in trouble a lot. The GI he sent me to (loved her) would have had the biopsy ASAP.

One more thing. The authorization form was a little scary. My husband said it was standard CYA but there were several other procedures listed in addition to the biopsy. I guess if they find something and they don't want to do it they have my permission. Feeling poked, prodded and now beat up. Sorry for venting so much. I'm here if any of you ned me!!!!

Loey hidden-27.gif

Emilushka Contributor

Taking NSAIDS (like Advil, etc) can also affect ulcers, GI tract or cause burning sensations., right? It is SOOO good to have a doctor on the forum who understands!!!!!!!!!!

Yup. They sure can. For most people they don't, but for anyone with a sensitive GI tract (many elderly people, those with Celiac, etc) they can be a major no-no.

Still waiting two weeks for biopsy of my ulcer.

Mine took over a week to come back from a major teaching hospital, and I'm a medical student - you'd think they MIGHT put a rush order on my biopsies. In fact, NOPE. No rush order. Definitely took a long time to come up with a fat lot of zero answers.

One more thing. The authorization form was a little scary. My husband said it was standard CYA but there were several other procedures listed in addition to the biopsy. I guess if they find something and they don't want to do it they have my permission. Feeling poked, prodded and now beat up.

It's often standard to have a bunch of clauses in there so that they can take out polyps or growths if they find them, etc. They want to have consent to do life-saving or important procedures.

Of course, it doesn't change the fact that your butt/throat is being stuck with a camera and a bunch of little pieces of YOU are removed. It does hurt.

I was quite thrilled to have pictures of my insides, although I wanted one of my transverse colon (which has pretty triangles!) and was disappointed that they didn't take one. As I was coming out of anesthesia and was semi-groggy, I was still taking notes about what the doc said and remarking on the lack of photos of my transverse colon. That shows you what a nutjob kind of patient doctors make.

Loey Rising Star

Yup. They sure can. For most people they don't, but for anyone with a sensitive GI tract (many elderly people, those with Celiac, etc) they can be a major no-no.

Mine took over a week to come back from a major teaching hospital, and I'm a medical student - you'd think they MIGHT put a rush order on my biopsies. In fact, NOPE. No rush order. Definitely took a long time to come up with a fat lot of zero answers.

It's often standard to have a bunch of clauses in there so that they can take out polyps or growths if they find them, etc. They want to have consent to do life-saving or important procedures.

Of course, it doesn't change the fact that your butt/throat is being stuck with a camera and a bunch of little pieces of YOU are removed. It does hurt.

I was quite thrilled to have pictures of my insides, although I wanted one of my transverse colon (which has pretty triangles!) and was disappointed that they didn't take one. As I was coming out of anesthesia and was semi-groggy, I was still taking notes about what the doc said and remarking on the lack of photos of my transverse colon. That shows you what a nutjob kind of patient doctors make.

I still haven't had the biopsy. It was scheduled 3 and a half weeks after the capsule endoscopy. REALLY small hospital where I live and my new GI wanted a special anesthesiologist because of meds I'm on. Then off course my GI took a week's vacation. Biopsy is a week from this Friday (November 12). He got back to me quickly with the results of the capsule endoscopy but I imagine biopsy results take longer.

I actually understand you wanting to see pics (being a medical student). I was into seeing every part of the capsule endoscopy as I use to work as a TV Technician (production and editing for 20 years before I had my son). I was fascinated by the pics, the way it was hooked up to me and the recorder. When I first started working at a big network they were transferring material from 2" tapes (I'm short so I used a step-stool to thread them) onto the newer formats (still large in comparison to today). What a long way technology has come.

I hope you know how much I appreciate your support and how patiently you explain everything to me. I'm a positive person but sometimes this disease sucks the energy out of you. You're a ray of sunshine and whoever gets to have you as a doctor will be very lucky!!!

Loey biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Archived