This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Bloody Krispies

realmaverick

Black Sheep Apprentice

I feel your pain! I also find it ridiculous that they could easily leave malt out and make it gluten free :(

Of course I've had malt-less "popped rice" and it tasted pretty bland, so maybe that's their secret ingredient...

Well, if they need malt to make it taste good, I don't see why they couldn't use sorghum malt, like they do for making g.f. beer. Once I've lost the weight I want to lose (I'm halfway there, from eating low-carb!), I want to start brewing my own g.f. beer, using sorghum malt. And yes I can have a beer now and then and not gain weight! :lol:

I just figure, if it works for beer, why not other recipes that normally call for barley malt?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

Great question. Hope Kellog's will stand up to the plate!

eKatherine Rookie

Hi All!

I am still new to this site, I started with a post a short time ago. I was drawn to this posting when I saw "Rice Krispies". I too, have been eating them. Didn't know they contained gluten. Here's my question: How on earth, are people like me, supposed to know

that food such as Rice Krispies are a "No NO", when there's

nothing on the label about gluten? I didn't have a glue that

"Malt" was a gluten factor?

This is exactly why I said to the dietician that it's so hard!!!

So many don't understand. I feel like an idiot. Here I thought

I was doing good. Please tell me, I think I read it in a post,

but is it true that Cocoa Pebbles are Gluten-free?

I am aware that the Chex Cereals are, but I'm so burned out

on them.

Sorry to whine and complain, but this has really been a

challenge for me. If you will read my first post, you will

learn more.

Anxiously awaiting responses...... :unsure:

If you're going to make assumptions, the only safe thing to assume is that all cold breakfast cereals contain gluten unless you've heard that one does not. And even then you have to read the label. That's what I did when I heard rice chex was safe.

You just have to, have to, have to read the labels. Nobody out there who is not gluten-free can be trusted, and those who are gluten-free can be mistaken.

If you're seeing a dietitian and that person didn't tell you to read the labels and look for words like "malt", then that dietitian is grossly negligent. You're not getting good advice. You could do better getting free advice right here.

Noni Rookie

If you're going to make assumptions, the only safe thing to assume is that all cold breakfast cereals contain gluten unless you've heard that one does not. And even then you have to read the label. That's what I did when I heard rice chex was safe.

You just have to, have to, have to read the labels. Nobody out there who is not gluten-free can be trusted, and those who are gluten-free can be mistaken.

If you're seeing a dietitian and that person didn't tell you to read the labels and look for words like "malt", then that dietitian is grossly negligent. You're not getting good advice. You could do better getting free advice right here.

Thanks so much for your reply eKatherine!

Your completely correct, I had very poor advice from the

dietician. :( That's the reason I've had such a difficult

time with the gluten-free diet. I was reading labels, but all

I knew to look for was "wheat" or "gluten". So I was totally

uneducated. I joined one website, but didn't gain much advice

from it. It wasn't until I found this site, that I've learned

so much. In my original post I made a huge error in stating the

date I was diagnosed with Celiac disease. It wasn't 2004, it was

1993. So I've been many years trying to do this on my own. I'm

truly thankful for this website. I've learned more in the short

time I've been here, than in the years I've been on my own.

Thanks again to everyone for your guidance and wisdom.

Noni

clogger69 Rookie

I am 70 years old, dx March 2009. Did the same thing with the rice krispies, and corn flakes, was eating them at first. I just told my 14 yr old granddaughter last night what I miss most is my cereal snacks. Forget pizza, beer, hamburger, I want a bowl of my cereal. I also loved mini wheats, but I know there is no hope for them, but maybe Kellogg would come through for the rice krispies and corn flakes :rolleyes:

Black Sheep Apprentice

I had very poor advice from the

dietician. :( That's the reason I've had such a difficult

time with the gluten-free diet. I was reading labels, but all

I knew to look for was "wheat" or "gluten". So I was totally

uneducated.

Ohmygosh, I hear 'ya there! :huh: The same thing happened to me, about 7 years ago I think. I had over time, become so sick, I could barely function. So I went to an N.D. at a famous clinic run by a phenomenal homeopathic doc (but not all the docs at his clinic do things his way, I've found). Some things she diagnosed or suspected exactly right--like my severe pernicious anemia, which was caused by almost non-existent stomach acid (both of which I was tested for, so those were for-sure things). She was also correct in suspecting Celiac (which probably in turn caused my low s.a.)---but where imo she messed up was in not testing for it, as I had good ins. at the time. She had me do the challenge test, which would have been fine except that she also had me meet w/the clinic nutritionist, who of course warned me extensively about wheat, rye, and barley---as in, the grains and flours. I was so uneducated, I never thought about barley malt, and other things like that! I even bought a couple of books they had, which were mostly cookbooks about food allergies/sensitivities in general, but didn't really educate. At that time I was new to the Web (yeah I was living under a rock!), had no clue that there was so much info out there, or how to find it. Although who knows, maybe back then there wasn't that much celiac/gluten info out there?

Anyway, I tried to go g.f. for a month like she told me to....bought g.f. flours, read labels.....but label-reading only helps so much if you don't know what all to look for. And restaurants---forget it! I had no idea that gluten was in practically everything, and never questioned anything in a restaurant! I just thought that if I avoided breads, pastas, etc. I was safe. :o So with good old 20/20 hindsight, it's easy to see why, after an entire month of being "g.f.", I felt no difference whatsoever. So when I reported this back to my doc, she said "Well, I thought for sure that gluten had something to do with your problems, but....I guess not." :angry: I also kick myself though, for not doing more to ferret out all the info I could.

So don't, as they say, "feel like the Lone Ranger"! :lol:

Archived