Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Britt26

Endoscopy/col. Results-Can Anyone Advise?

Well, I had my Endo/Col this morning. I have to wait 5-10 business days for biopsy results--AAAHHH! I can't stand the wait! :P I wondered if anyone could take a look at what the printed report says they found during the procedures:

-Mild atrophy in the second part of the duodenum

-Erythema and petechiae in the antrum and stomach body compatible with gastritis

-Slightly irregular Z line in the gastroesophageal junction

-Mild nodularity in terminal ileum, distal

-Normal in the whole colon

What stands out to me is the first one; Mild atrophy in the second part of the duodenum. I googled this and it says this can be indicative of Celiac Disease.

They took several biopsies of the duodenum, but I know it can still be missed, so I'm just wondering if any of these things sound like Celiac to any of you? I have suspected it for a while now and my symptoms include: IBS-diarrhea for many years, bloating, gas, unexplained right abdominal pain for nearly 5 months, low Iron levels, extreme fatigue, and I also have Hashimotos (another autoimmune disease). Thanks guys!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think there can be several different things that can cause atrophy, but since your testing is over you can begin your gluten free living. You don't need to wait on biopsy results to start.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

-Mild atrophy in the second part of the duodenum

-Erythema and petechiae in the antrum and stomach body compatible with gastritis

-Slightly irregular Z line in the gastroesophageal junction

-Mild nodularity in terminal ileum, distal

-Normal in the whole colon

I'm a med student. Not as good as the pathologists who will look at your biopsies. BUT I have seen a bunch of colonoscopies and endoscopies and I know something about medicine.

The mild atrophy is highly suggestive of Celiac Disease. You're right on in thinking that that supports the diagnosis.

The erythema and petechiae do suggest gastritis. This was my only significant finding of Celiac, so it could certainly be related to the Celiac Disease as well (from personal experience). What it translates to in normal people English is "stomach inflammation".

The slightly irregular Z-line refers to changes usually caused by chronic reflux (heartburn). This can also be a consequence of Celiac.

I'm not sure what to make of the nodularity of the ileum. That sounds like a way of describing atrophy to me, but honestly, I don't really know. That's not a description I've heard before.

The colon being normal is also consistent with Celiac Disease.

I hope this was helpful for you. Remember that I'm no pathologist or GI doc - I'm just a med student. But I don't want you to sit there and wonder without answers.

I hope you feel better soon!

ETA: I just wanted to add that "erythema" means redness (a sign of inflammation) and "petechiae" are burst tiny blood vessels (another sign of stomach irritation and inflammation). I realized I didn't translate each term individually.