• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Courtney101

Ibs - A Disease Of It's Own Or Just A Symptom?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what your thoughts on IBS are? My doctor mentioned it to me, and after doing some basic research on it, I'm not sure I feel like this is a true diagnosis. It seems to me that "Irritable bowel syndrome" is just the name given to a group of symptoms. But I am finding it hard to find anywhere the cause behind the symptoms. Where's the scientific basis behind it?

I don't know, it just kind of seems like perhaps this is the diagnosis they give you when they can't find what's really wrong with you. I could be seeing this entirely wrong, since I'm really not that knowledgeable about it. I'd love to know other people's thoughts.

Thanks,

Courtney

I = I'm

B = Basically

S = Stumped

It's a lazy lump diagnosis for doctors who are not willing to get to the bottom what the symptoms are really indicating.

I think you've hit the nail on the head fair and square. It's a waste basket diagnosis when they can't think of anything else, although a lot of doctors take it very seriously :unsure:

And even precsribe medications for it. To alleviate some of the symptoms without attempting to find the cause :rolleyes: Most of us on here have been diagnosed with IBS at some time in the past.

And even precsribe medications for it. To alleviate some of the symptoms without attempting to find the cause

I got the "I'm Basically Stumpted" from this board :)

A lot of docs even try to prescribe anti-depressants for it - I suppose they figure it's related to anxiety.

But to prescribe anti-depressants for your stomach/intestinal tract just seems wrong somehow, you know???

It seems to me that "Irritable bowel syndrome" is just the name given to a group of symptoms.

That is actually the official medical definition of a syndrome. It is nothing more than the grouping of symptoms to which the doctor is not aware of the cause of yet. It's use as a diagnosis is pretty much the hallmark of a lazy/irresponsible doctor. They're basically having you come in, tell them your symptoms and then charging you for the honor of them giving it a name. There is no cause of irritable bowel syndrome, there is no cure, this is because it does not exist. All that there really is to IBS is a matter of semantics, you say the list of symptoms, your doctor says IBS, you're both saying the same thing and are both no where near closer to fixing or even finding the problem.

I'm so glad that others feel the same way. As for prescribing medications for it, I think that's aweful. It's only masking the symptoms, not treating the cause. Some doctors seem to have no idea.

My dad has always had digestive issues, had all the testing done years ago (including celiac) and everything came back negative. So of course he was told he had IBS and sent home with no real answers. Recently his symptoms have got worse, so he's just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, and is still waiting for results. But the doctor who did these procedures handed him an IBS info sheet as he left. How reassuring is that?

I'm just worried that I'm going to end up in the same position, but deep down, I know there has to be something else going on. My grandma has also had similar problems all her life. I personally don't see the liklihood that 3 generations could have IBS and nothing else.

I was given the IBS "diagnosis" when I had positive gluten blood tests and a negative biopsy. I went gluten free and had great improvements, but still had significant problems. I had more testing recently and was given IBS again, and recommended low dose antidepressants. The dr said it wasn't to reduce anxiety but to improve the signalling within the gut.

I didn't go on them, I went on an elimination diet instead, and was able to have several days with totally normal gut functioning. Now I'm wading through the endless process of food challenges, but I know that there is some combination where I will have a totally normal digestive system.

IBS is a description, and I don't need a dr to tell me when I can't digest properly! If a dr was happy with that, I wouldn't go back as they aren't trying hard enough.

A lot of docs even try to prescribe anti-depressants for it - I suppose they figure it's related to anxiety.

But to prescribe anti-depressants for your stomach/intestinal tract just seems wrong somehow, you know???

I'm not a fan of the IBS diagnosis either. That being said, though, there human gut produces serotonin and the theory is that anti-depressants that block the overproduction of serotonin in the gut

I agree with Shopgirl, and there is scientific evidence that abnormal gut serotonin signaling causes IBS in some people. The antispasmotics really help some people who seem to have gut motility problems. The big problem comes when doctors don't have the time or the inclination to dig deeper. Is it really only serotonin imbalance, or is there celiac disease, food intolerances, allergies, Crohn's, colitis, or some other underlying cause? I think doctors are too quick to hand out IBS labels and pills but it's partly because our society has pushed for cheap, fast health care and pills.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• March 20, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Betsy17

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Forum Discussions

Thank you so much! and yes, I am aware of other allergies. I have leaky gut as well and have a food allergy to potatoes and corn as well and my mother eats those too. So very stressed out. I went downstairs and found a mini fridge and im going to start using that because like you said, handles, faucets, etc are too much. the stress does not help the body either, ive been getting sick three times a week. its very hard.  I am glad there are people who understand! Sounds like you were concerned too
    The cheese and avocado are fine, the gluten was not aerosolized anything like that. NOW if your allergic to wheat there could be some issues being around it like that (some severe cases of peanut allergies can go off if it is in the room) but you would be anaphylactic.  I get the paranoia, it gets to the point of being almost PTSD. You fear to get sick so bad because the weirdest things have bedridden you. I got glutened touching gluten residue on facets, fridge door handles, etc in my old
Alaskaguy, Here is the research you are looking for they are entitled "Maize prolamins resistant to peptic-tryptic digestion maintain immune-recognition by IgA from some celiac disease patients." and "Maize prolamins could induce a gluten-like cellular immune response in some celiac disease patients." respectively. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22298027 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24152750 It is like Oats ...Corn can bother a subset of celiac's. ...reintroducing
  • Blog Entries