This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Support Groups In Or Near Mid-missouri

Claudette

Claudette Newbie

Hi,

I know there are a couple of support groups in St. Louis and Kansas City, MO, but living in Columbia we are half-way between both of them and it is a two hour drive either way.

Does anyone know of contact people or support groups elsewhere in mid Missouri. I was diagnosed in December of 1997 and can't help but be so grateful for all the advances I have seen taking place in the six years I have been dealing with this. My adult daughter self diagnosed after several months of noticing similarities of her symptoms with what I had gone through, but our family dr. insisted celiac disease was so rare that she wouldn't test until my daughter in frustration just put herself on gluten-free food and found so much relief. So we have each other to bounce ideas off of, but another person or two would be nice.

Claudette

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

Hi Claudette,

I got this list from Open Original Shared Link . I don't know if it is still current, but their is a group in Columbia, at least there was a few years ago. I would assume that means there are other Celiacs there in your area. I hope you are able to get together with some others. It sure can feel like we are alone in this sometimes.

God bless,

Mariann :)

Missouri Contacts

Group: Branson

City: Branson

Contacts:

Barbara Hicks

417-739-2703

Internet:

Barbara Hicks honedu@mchsi.com

Updated: 15 Mar 2003

Resource Unit

City: Cape Girardeau

Contacts:

Jeanette Kraleman

Rt 4, Box 111U

Jackson, MO 63755

314-243-6884

Updated: 1 Jan 1995

Resource Unit

City: Columbia

Contacts:

Karen Smith

573-446-1395

Internet:

Karen Smith, ksmith01@mail.coin.missouri.edu

Updated: 6 Jul 1998

Resource Unit

City: Farmington

Contacts:

Helen Hauschild

700 E. College St., #9-B

Farmington, MO 63640

573-756-4438

Updated: 10 Mar 2001

Resource Unit

City: Kansas City

Contacts:

Elanor R. Aadams

135 N. Missouri

Liberty, MO 64068

816-781-6514

Updated: 1 Jan 1995

Resource Unit

City: Kansas City

Contacts:

Renee C. Hewitt

629 West 61st Terrace

Kansas City, MO 64113

Internet:

Renee C. Hewitt, RCHEWITT1@aol.com

Updated: 22 Feb 1998

Resource Unit

City: Lebanon

Contacts:

Dan Wooley

32550 Highway O

Falcon, MO 65470

417-926-3473

427-668-5550

Internet:

Dan Wooley, dwooley@windo.missouri.org

Updated: 16 Apr 1998

Group: St. Louis Celiacs

City: St. Louis

Contacts:

Sharon Biondo

1323 Remington Oaks Terrace

Fenton, MO 63026

636-225-3947

Ray Hutchison

528 Blazedwood

Ballwin, MO 63021

314-227-6479

Barbara Ferrenbach

100 Orchard Ave.

Webster Groves, MO 63119

314-962-7440

Barb Berger

1777 Heffington

Chesterfield, MO 63017

314-532-3075

Internet:

Steve Zenisek, Z1950@aol.com

Bill Vellios Sr., billvell@SWBELL.NET

Linda Ritter, n.l.ritter@WORLDNET.ATT.NET

Updated: 1 Apr 2003

• 1 month later...
capawa Rookie

I didn't know there was a support group in St. Louis. Would you refer me to the web site or address please. :D OOPS! Never mind, I just saw the address for the one in Fenton, Mo. Thanks anyway.

• 1 year later...
lkirchho Newbie
Hi,

I know there are a couple of support groups in St. Louis and Kansas City, MO, but living in Columbia we are half-way between both of them and it is a two hour drive either way. 

Does anyone know of contact people or support groups elsewhere in mid Missouri.  I was diagnosed in December of 1997 and can't help but be so grateful for all the advances I have seen taking place in the six years I have been dealing with this.  My  adult daughter self diagnosed after several months of noticing similarities of her symptoms with what I had gone through, but our family dr. insisted celiac disease was so rare that she wouldn't test until my daughter in frustration just put herself on gluten-free food and found so much relief.  So we have each other to bounce ideas off of, but another person or two would be nice.

Claudette

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 1 year later...
Beth Jacobs Newbie
Hi,

Does anyone know of contact people or support groups elsewhere in mid Missouri. I was diagnosed in December of 1997 and can't help but be so grateful for all the advances I have seen taking place in the six years I have been dealing with this. My adult daughter self diagnosed after several months of noticing similarities of her symptoms with what I had gone through, but our family dr. insisted celiac disease was so rare that she wouldn't test until my daughter in frustration just put herself on gluten-free food and found so much relief. So we have each other to bounce ideas off of, but another person or two would be nice.

Claudette

Beth Jacobs Newbie

There is a relatively new group formed in COLUMBIA, MO. Contact Beth at vejacobs@centurytel.net

Our next meeting is February 24, 2007.

• 2 years later...
Angels~Exist Newbie

I live in mid-west mo. (Carl Junction) I don't know anyone else around here with celiacs so there probably wouldn't be a support group that isn't hours away. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 years later...
sorairobara Newbie

Since no one has posted here in years, just wondering if any of those groups are still active? I'm a Mizzou student and have not really succeeded in finding anyone in town or support groups with at least some college aged members.

bbuster Explorer

Since no one has posted here in years, just wondering if any of those groups are still active? I'm a Mizzou student and have not really succeeded in finding anyone in town or support groups with at least some college aged members.

My son has Celiac and is starting at Mizzou this fall. I was trying to make some contacts before going for a campus visit in March, and I got in touch with Beth Jacobs <bethhjacobs@gmail.com>, and she passed along my contact info to a gal named Cheryl, who promptly emailed me a bunch of local info on restaurants and grocery shopping. I think both of them work at Mizzou. So far I have not found any sort of student support group, although I have mentioned it to a couple of the university dining services people.

Garrett is going for summer welcome late next week, and we will continue to look for resources.

sorairobara Newbie

My son has Celiac and is starting at Mizzou this fall. I was trying to make some contacts before going for a campus visit in March, and I got in touch with Beth Jacobs <bethhjacobs@gmail.com>, and she passed along my contact info to a gal named Cheryl, who promptly emailed me a bunch of local info on restaurants and grocery shopping. I think both of them work at Mizzou. So far I have not found any sort of student support group, although I have mentioned it to a couple of the university dining services people.

Garrett is going for summer welcome late next week, and we will continue to look for resources.

Columbia has a good number of stores to check out! I got to Clovers, Natural Grocers, and Hyvee for most of my food. Also the farmers markets in town are great and a lot of times can be cheaper that buying produce from the store! Is your son doing housing through campus? Personally I wouldn't recommend the dorms for someone who is going to have a difficult time with food you can't have more than a microwave and a rice cooker, but there's a very large number of student apartment complexes that have had a few building bought out by Mizzou so he would still have an RA and some supervision and a kitchen and a fridge and I believe all of those complexes have busses to campus!

I got lucky and had already moved out of the dorms by the time I got sick! You can get safe food from the dining halls but it takes a lot longer for someone to properly clean everything and the options are kinda of limited at times and those dining halls can get crazy packed!

If you trust your son there's a lot of much cheaper housing all over town and a lot in walking distance of campus! Just be careful if you look in East Campus area there's some not so great apartments with some not so great owners that direction.

bbuster Explorer

Columbia has a good number of stores to check out! I got to Clovers, Natural Grocers, and Hyvee for most of my food. Also the farmers markets in town are great and a lot of times can be cheaper that buying produce from the store! Is your son doing housing through campus? Personally I wouldn't recommend the dorms for someone who is going to have a difficult time with food you can't have more than a microwave and a rice cooker, but there's a very large number of student apartment complexes that have had a few building bought out by Mizzou so he would still have an RA and some supervision and a kitchen and a fridge and I believe all of those complexes have busses to campus!

I got lucky and had already moved out of the dorms by the time I got sick! You can get safe food from the dining halls but it takes a lot longer for someone to properly clean everything and the options are kinda of limited at times and those dining halls can get crazy packed!

If you trust your son there's a lot of much cheaper housing all over town and a lot in walking distance of campus! Just be careful if you look in East Campus area there's some not so great apartments with some not so great owners that direction.

Thanks for your comments. My understanding is that all freshmen are REQUIRED to live in the dorms. We'll be finding out more very soon. I've spoken to the dining services director once, but have more follow up to do for sure.

sorairobara Newbie

Thanks for your comments. My understanding is that all freshmen are REQUIRED to live in the dorms. We'll be finding out more very soon. I've spoken to the dining services director once, but have more follow up to do for sure.

i

I'm not sure if it was required my freshman year or not but I was in the dorms then. I feel like it may have been lifted more recently because of the lack of campus housing, but please don't trust me on that! My sophomore year I got paid $1,000 and got my $300 back to cancel my dorm contract to make more room in the dorms because so far every year is the largest freshman class Mizzou has seen. So that could be a nice option down the road? Also, if its an off campus apartment owned by Mizzou it's still considered a dorm I believe!

Good luck with summer welcome and figuring things out!

Archived