This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What's The Bread That's Inedible But Makes Good Stuffing?

luvs2eat

Monklady123 Collaborator

Definitely a "Celiac rite of passage." {gag}

I haven't thought about stuffing yet this year. Since I hate to cook I may just make good old Stove Top for the family and skip the stuffing for me. Or make cornbread, which I love. We will see...

Ener-G = GAG!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mbrookes Community Regular

I, my dear, am a true southerner. It doesn't get any more southern than Mississippi!

Make a pan of cornbread... use white corn meal and NO sugar. I make it the night before T'giving. Just wrap in foil and leave it on the counter.

Next day crumble the cornbread. Add enough chopped onion (raw) that you get at least one piece in every forkful.Add a little salt and enough black pepper to see the grains.

Stir in canned chicken broth or broth made from the neck and giblets of the turkey. You want it very moist but not soupy.

Don't stuff the turkey. Bake in a pan at 350 until golden, about an hour. Fifteen minutes before it is ready, drizzle with a little grease from the turkey.

This came down through my family.

Forget the plain bread. You will never miss it.

mushroom Proficient

Forgive me, I am obviously not a southerner - but why is it that this sounds so un-good :unsure: to me??? Makes me tummy do little flip-flops :huh:

Juliebove Rising Star

DON'T LIKE STUFFING??? The stuffing is my REASON for cooking a turkey!! When I could use good old Pepperidge Farm, I'd make tons and bake what didn't fit into the turkey in loaf pans. The best leftovers were a slice of stuffing w/ gravy! I've tried several recipes using bread and none have measured up. I've tried cornbread dressing several times and have never been happy w/ it! I now realize that I've not had it soupy enough and it's always come out very dry.

I don't like turkey either. My favorite Thanksgiving fodos are mashed potatoes and raw veggies.

Takala Enthusiast

Forgive me, I am obviously not a southerner - but why is it that this sounds so un-good :unsure: to me??? Makes me tummy do little flip-flops :huh:

Re Cornbread stuffing

It's American. Corn, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, squash, all are original native foods, as well as quinoa, amaranth, and some others. This sets off a drool reaction in me, and I'm not even Southern, altho I can cook a little that way. Cornbread is a traditional sort of bread that goes with country cooking in Appalachia and in the south, and it goes with barbecue a lot.

I had some of this once cooked a long time and slowly with oysters, and it was very good.

Wish I could easily find certified gluten free cornmeal in stores - just the cornmeal, not the mixes. But there's mail order.

mushroom Proficient

Aha, that's why the flip-flops - no corn, tomatoes, potatoes, beans or quinoa for this gal. Green barf face, or more correctly, a-fib. Just serve me the oysters uncooked on the half shell :lol:

elefky Apprentice

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind ener-g bread. I buy the "light tapioca" and now they have a new "corn loaf". It's not corn bread but a light bread. When you look at the calorie counts on most gluten-free breads, it's very difficult to fit into a Weight Watchers plan. The light tapioca is about 90 cal (I think) and on WW it counts as 1 point. The new corn loaf is 45 calories and 2 slices are 1 point. They are both fine toasted.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Well, someone must like it for the stuff to be everywhere. Count me out! I usually make cornbread stuffing.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I, my dear, am a true southerner. It doesn't get any more southern than Mississippi!

Make a pan of cornbread... use white corn meal and NO sugar. I make it the night before T'giving. Just wrap in foil and leave it on the counter.

Next day crumble the cornbread. Add enough chopped onion (raw) that you get at least one piece in every forkful.Add a little salt and enough black pepper to see the grains.

Stir in canned chicken broth or broth made from the neck and giblets of the turkey. You want it very moist but not soupy.

Don't stuff the turkey. Bake in a pan at 350 until golden, about an hour. Fifteen minutes before it is ready, drizzle with a little grease from the turkey.

This came down through my family.

Forget the plain bread. You will never miss it.

I'm in NC and my mother made "dressing" what we call stuffing around here. Yellow cornmeal into cornbread, no sugar.

She crumbled it, added celery, onion, turkey broth, salt, pepper,sage and poultry seasons then baked.

rbeccatexas Rookie

This is the gluten-free stuffing recipe that I used last year and it was excellent. You can mix the cornbread yourself or Bob's now has a premixed cornbread packet. I mixed mine myself and the recipe is at the bottom. Enjoy!

Gluten free Stuffing

1 8-inch cake pan of Bob

TPT Explorer

DON'T LIKE STUFFING??? The stuffing is my REASON for cooking a turkey!! When I could use good old Pepperidge Farm, I'd make tons and bake what didn't fit into the turkey in loaf pans. The best leftover was a slice of stuffing w/ gravy! I've tried several recipes using bread and none have measured up. I've tried cornbread dressing several times and have never been happy w/ it! I now realize that I've not had it soupy enough and it's always come out very dry.

I think I'll try the Ener-G bread and maybe make a small dish of cornbread dressing too.

Ha ha... I think Ener-G was the first gluten-free bread we all tried. As I loved making delicious and beautiful loaves of homemade bread before having to go gluten-free... I actually cried when I tasted it, thinking it would be my only option!

Thanks guys!!

Ironic, because I bought my 1st gluten-free bread today. It was Ener G Tapioca. I thought it was pretty good.

Juliebove Rising Star

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind ener-g bread. I buy the "light tapioca" and now they have a new "corn loaf". It's not corn bread but a light bread. When you look at the calorie counts on most gluten-free breads, it's very difficult to fit into a Weight Watchers plan. The light tapioca is about 90 cal (I think) and on WW it counts as 1 point. The new corn loaf is 45 calories and 2 slices are 1 point. They are both fine toasted.

Daughter loves the corn loaf toasted and with butter, faux butter and maybe cinnamon and sugar. She loves the Rice Starch bread for sandwiches and also for toast. She will eat the tapioca if that's all we can get. It is readily available at most stores here.

MelindaLee Contributor

I guess I found this place just in the nick of time. I was saved the rite of passage and never tried the Ener G breads. Though I bought some now for stuffing. It's my first time trying it. Hope it's good! Though with all the other stuff I put in the stuffing...probaby won't taste the bread! :lol:

VitaminDGirl Apprentice

lovin' this thread. Enr-G bread yuck-sharing...

but the package looks so neat and like it could be yummy...

who really eats and enjoys it? (ok, just read there are a few that like it--good for them and the company :)

Even my baby threw it down and made a bad face.

I only use my bread machine now to make breads. Love Anna's breads and

Gluten Free Pantry Sandwich bread....

Looking forward to trying one of these stuffing recipes!

sarahbella636 Newbie

Thanks for the helpful thread. My 1.5 year old was just diagnosed with Celiac and I've been hunting for a gluten free stuffing, particularly one without dairy and egg as well since my three year old is allergic to those. EnerG bread looks like the perfect solution (and, from what I read on here, only use it for stuffing!).

luvs2eat Collaborator

Well... I've got my Ener-G bread and will make an apple sausage stuffing w/ a combo of corn bread and the Ener-G. It'll be my 9th new stuffing recipe since being diagnosed. I'm completely changing it up rather than trying, in vain, to recreate my beloved Pepperidge Farm stuffing. I'm really hoping we (meaning I) fall in love w/ it so I'm not always disappointed in my Thanksgiving meal!

Archived