This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thanksgiving Out Of Town

Dixiebell

Dixiebell Contributor

My husband and son might be going to NY for Thanksgiving to visit G-ma because she is on her third time with cancer. Everyone up there is glutified, so, how am I going to make sure he eats safely? Also, I am pretty sure they will be flying. I know my husband will have to do some shopping when they arrive. There is Wegmans close by so that will help alot. I know he can handle the basics, canned green beans and the like, but what about turkey and dessert? I think I might have an anxiety attack!

Help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

twohokies Newbie

My husband and son might be going to NY for Thanksgiving to visit G-ma because she is on her third time with cancer. Everyone up there is glutified, so, how am I going to make sure he eats safely? Also, I am pretty sure they will be flying. I know my husband will have to do some shopping when they arrive. There is Wegmans close by so that will help alot. I know he can handle the basics, canned green beans and the like, but what about turkey and dessert? I think I might have an anxiety attack!

Help!

At least there's a Wegmans! That is my savior here in VA and I can find ANYTHING I need there. Have your husband shop and stock up on replacement items if he can't influence the food preparation...........i.e. no flour in the turkey gravy, no stuffing into the turkey but prepared on the side. Have your husband get some Hillshire Farms turkey from the refrig. section (I know their ham is gluten-free) and pick up cupcakes/brownies/cookies from the frozen section in the Natural Foods part of Wegmans (that's where the AISLE of gluten-free foods in our store is). Go to the Wegmans website and pull down their gluten-free food item list to highlight what to shop for. They only list their brand names that are gluten-free but you should still be able to identify 95% of what you need and then go to the gluten-free aisle.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

To cut down on the shopping out of town stress, you could order some items ahead of time to be shipped to the hotel or relative's house. You could also ship some items direct from your pantry. This website looks pretty expensive, but it could take some of the stress off your husband if he has to rely on other family members to cook for your son Open Original Shared Link

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

You can make some things ahead of time, freeze them and then pack them in the suitcase with freezer packs. We've done this with bread and cookies for vacation. I'm sure it would work for other things, as the items are always still frozen when we get to the hotel. We just have to use a lot of freezer packs and an insulated carrier. I have a carrier that came with a Pyrex cake pan that works great for this!

Another idea is to cook a Thanksgiving dinner the weekend before they go. Then explain to your son (which it looks like by his age he'll probably understand) that this isn't going to be a normal Thanksgiving day and he's just going to have to be a big boy about it. Then have hubby get safe foods for him that might not be all the festive, but at least they won't make him sick - lunch meat, frozen mac & cheese, etc. If there are cousins he hasn't seen, he'll probably just be happy to see them!

A last idea I could think of is to check for gluten-free restaurants in their area or between G-Ma's and the airport. They might be willing to do a carry-out for you.

You could send pancakes for breakfasts and PB&J sandwiches. They're easy to make ahead of time and last a few days. You could also send packets of oatmeal (easy to add water and microwave) and boxes of cereal. I'm sure when we travel the security people are amused by all the food in our luggage!!

Good luck!

Juliebove Rising Star

If it were me, I would go to the grocery store. I would probably buy gluten-free canned turkey or maybe some packaged gluten-free deli style turkey. Maybe some pre-made mashed potatoes if they were safe. If not, then a plain potato that could be "baked" in the microwave or maybe a package of precooked rice. I don't do desserts, but perhaps an apple baked in the microwave?

Dixiebell Contributor

Thank you for the great ideas!

I think I will have them shop when they get there. My son will be fine with the turkey lunch meat or I was even thinking some baked chicken and he does like baked potatoes with bacon bits. Husband does pretty good when they go camping with scouts so that makes me feel a little better. For sweets I think he will be fine with Pamala's choc chip cookies and some crispy bars.

Loey Rising Star

I think I will have them shop when they get there. My son will be fine with the turkey lunch meat or I was even thinking some baked chicken and he does like baked potatoes with bacon bits. Husband does pretty good when they go camping with scouts so that makes me feel a little better. For sweets I think he will be fine with Pamala's choc chip cookies and some crispy bars.

For the past 20 years we have always gone to a halfway point to meet my brother and SIL for a big buffet and then a movie. I'm grateful that this year we'll be staying home. I'm newly diagnosed and even sensitive to a lot of foods that are gluten-free. My son wants duck (OMG - it takes about 9 hrs to make two turn out crispy).Today my brother called to say that they may come that weekend. Guess I'll be making turkey (for their visit) and duck (for my son before he returns to college).

I would keep it as simple as you can. If you want any recipes I have accrued a large library of gluten-free cookbooks and would be happy to type out anything you're interested in. Someone (very sweet) in this forum is also sending me some recipes.

Loey smile.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
slogator Newbie

This is our first gluten-free Thanksgiving, and also the first year we have traveled out of state for Thanksgiving. I was incredibly stressed about my daughter getting glutened. I learned Honey Baked Ham stores have gluten-free hams and turkeys. I ordered a small turkey breast (it's about $25), and it's already cooked and sliced. I just have to find their store when I get there and pick it up.

Archived