Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rowena

A Question

I probably should consult with my doctor about this too, but I was wonderin, if I have been sufferin problems with period irregularity, and bein unable to get pregnant, how lon after goin gluten-free should I wait to try again and see if it was because of my gluten intolerance? I feel a million and one times better, and such but I want to make sure I do this right. I want to be normal again, but at the same time I want to start havin kids.

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Make sure your vitamin levels are where they need to be once you've healed. When you've made sure you're getting enough folate and prenatal vitamins, go for it! If you have trouble, your doc can help you find out why.

I'm not a doctor, but that sounds like a good plan. I think a similar question has been asked in the past, and there does not seem to be a lot of experience or research in this area. Good luck with the new diet and the baby making.

good idea to get your vitamin levels checked-

& maybe get a thyroid test too- that can also affect you getting pregnant & the health of your baby

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Cass- I got my thyroid checked (finally, when I got a new doctor who wasn't so arrogant and knew what she was doing. Same doctor also was the one who checked for celiac, but when it was negative and I was showing positive results on my diet, diagnosed me as gluten intolerant.) And thankfully it looks good. The only thing that shows up on any tests is a slightly elevated liver enzymes. (Also my thyroid was checked because of a rapid weight gain I went through, and I am not the type of person who gains weight easily, and definitely not fast. If anything I lose weight.)

I haven't thought to have my vitamin levels checked. I'll talk to my doctor about that. Please tell me it aint a blood test to do that. *prays it ain't*

The other thing my doctor thinks I have is polycystic ovarian syndrome, as my symptoms seem to fit, but the thing is, the way they test for it is through testing for testosterone. (and checking for cysts in my ovaries. Which don't seem to be there so...) And my testosterone wasn't elevated at all. So I am hoping that this gluten intolerance will be the real cause of it. Especially since I feel better than I have in the past year and a half. (PS the high testosterone levels would make it so apparently it tells my body to stop producing eggs or something like that)

Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)

oh Rowena- it is DEFINITELY possible for Gluten to be the culprit for all your issues...

still smart to check the vitamin levels- as Gluten Intolerance can really leave you with a few deficiencies! yes- it requires blood drawn ( i know i cant stand it either.. in fact, i chickened out of my vit D test on monday- because it has to be refridgerated.. and i was already doing Thyroid Panel & Lipids.. & i did NOT wanna do 2 vials ... im so sensitive :(

ive already had my B12 tested.... it definitely should be routine for anyone with gluten issues & of course wanting to have children

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

oh Rowena- it is DEFINITELY possible for Gluten to be the culprit for all your issues...

THat's what I thought too. Especially since after starting the diet most of my problems seemed to have disappeared.

still smart to check the vitamin levels- as Gluten Intolerance can really leave you with a few deficiencies! yes- it requires blood drawn ( i know i cant stand it either.. in fact, i chickened out of my vit D test on monday- because it has to be refridgerated.. and i was already doing Thyroid Panel & Lipids.. & i did NOT wanna do 2 vials ... im so sensitive sad.gif

ive already had my B12 tested.... it definitely should be routine for anyone with gluten issues & of course wanting to have children

Awwww man!!!!!!!!!! *cries at the thought of having blood drawn* I hate having blood drawn. Its the needles of course.

Seriously at my last appointment I was shaking so bad the phlebotomist was certain I was gonna faint. Meanwhile, I am grasping my husbands hand so hard he was sure that if I squoze any harder, I'd've broken the bones in his hand. (They then proceeded to tease me about what would happen while I was giving birth.) Of course it didn't help said phlebotomist first started in my worst vein for drawing blood. And then she had to find the vein again to get more blood, and then finally poked the vein next to it. (My arm had eyes for two weeks because of the pricks)

Another time, I tried to run away from a flu shot, and my doctor tried to tell me to stop it because I'd scare the little kids. My mom had to pin me down. (I was 15 by the way... just to add to the hilariousness of the story)

At eighteen, I nearly broke my mom's arm while having blood drawn (And I swear they filled like ten vials). And afterwards she took me to get ice cream just to get me to stop crying. (And this tradition has lived on since I got married too, though it ain't necessarily ice cream. Not sure what we'll do now. But I need something to get my mind off it so I can breathe properly too. I tend to hyperventilate, yes after its done.)

But I will be sure to get my vitamins checked too, after I get up the nerve to do so. And also probably in a couple weeks so that I can say I've been taking the pill for two months... LOL. Anyway. I will definitely catch up with my doctor.

Okay I heard back from my doctor. This is what she said about the vitamin tests. But I need help translating a certain part of it..... (I'll Bold and then explain my question)

Wow, I'm glad you are feeling better on a gluten free diet. I don't check vitamin levels routinely but there is a suggestion that folks on the gluten-free diets for several years may want to check these levels. In the meantime I would recommend a gluten-free multivitamin once a day just to be conservative. Also some authors suggest that fiber intake is too low on gluten-free diets so you may want to ensure that you are getting adequate fiber on the way. Being motivated to cook is huge and offers you the advantage of having a varied and balanced gluten-free diet, which in turns help to prevent deficiencies.

Er... so does that mean she will do it? And I am assuming that I need to make an appointment. (And thank heavens I am already on a gluten free vitamin)

Also she did say in regards to my question about trying again....

In terms of trying to conceive again, there is not data specifying how long a gluten intolerant person should be gluten free before trying to conceive (not that I know of at least). My hunch is to give yourself until the first of the year, just so you can feel good at the outset.

I think it really depnds on how long you were sick, how much damage your body has to overcome and how well you transition to being gluten free without getting acidental gluten. I know for me I was very sick for about three years, I had three miscarriages during that time that I blame on gluten and it took me about 6 months of eating gluten free before I wasn't getting accidental gluten every other week or so (I am very sensitive to cc). Now, I'm almost eleven months in and I have gone several months without any accidental glutening. I feel more confident I could make it through a pregnancy without wanting to try a new product that may be cc'd. I have tried most of the gluten free products I want to try and figured out a way of eating that works for my lifestyle. I decided at the outset that I'm giving myself at least a year of being gluten free to heal before TTC again. I think your doctor is right though in that there is really no magical amount of time that is reccommended.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)