This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Job Interview Plus Lunch!

shimma

shimma Apprentice

I have a job interview on Friday for a job I really want. First of all, I'm nervous about getting sick on that day (I tend to get really bad D when I'm stressed out, which makes me more stressed, which makes me sicker, which feeds a vicious cycle) but I just found out that I have to have lunch there too. I have no idea what to expect, but I'm sure it won't be easy to negotiate. All the etiquette advice I read online said "Don't make a big deal when you're dining at an interview." I value my health greatly, but I also don't want to be remembered as the chick who made such a big deal about the croutons!

Anyone have any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

Can you call ahead? If so ... do! That would be the biggest help, even better if you can actually go and talk to the manager. Then don't forget your card! Order simple, grilled chicken breast and plain salad "No croutons" oil and vinegar. After all, how responsible are you going to be to an employer if you aren't responsible for your own health?

Breath deep and pet your dog/cat or whatever until you are calm until it's time to go :D

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hello Shimma,

good luck at your job interview and lunch. I will cross my fingers for you ;) . Keep us posted, if you got the job.

jenvan Collaborator

I echo what Shirley mentioned--plain chicken or even just a salad (mixed in own bowl). And I would eat beforehand so you're not really very hungry.

Let us know how it goes!!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Maybe the person does not know you have celiac. Could you suggest a interview over coffee or something at Starbucks or something like that? Maybe you can bring your own food, or call ahead and see if they make gluten free foods. If they can not accomodate you then I would just go with a bit of your own food or not eat anything there.

Good luck and don't sweat it...you'll do fine

Carriefaith Enthusiast
but I just found out that I have to have lunch there too.

I understand, you don't want to make a fuss for a job interview and don't want to be singled out. If I were in this situation I would eat before I went... when I got there I would secretly scan the available foods... if there was a veggie tray or fruit tray or a safe salad I would go for it. Otherwise, I would just grab a coke and say, "oh I'm not really that hungrey" they should understand, I mean a lot of people get nervous and can't eat during an interview. They probably wouldn't think anything of it :) Good luck!

shimma Apprentice

Thanks everyone - I think it will turn out ok after all - it's an all-morning interview with several people, but lunch is at the end and if I don't eat much, I'll be able to last until I get home. Or I'll stash some snacks in my bag and eat in my car before heading home.

And as for the D - I'll start taking Pepto the night before and that should help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Yeah, you'll do fine. Don't sweat it. Maybe they know celiac, who knows?

shimma Apprentice

Just an update - I got the job! I'm so excited! Thanks for all your support.

Guest Viola

Congratulations Simma! :D That is so super!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Wow congratulations! You must have made a good impression! What did you end up doing?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

YOU GO GIRL :lol::D How did the lunch thing work out?

cdford Contributor

Congratulations! It is such a great feeling to get that call that you actually got the job. Oh, to be able to work again would be so nice. My budget would like it too!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Congrats! That's great! :-) Good luck in the new job!

celiac3270 Collaborator
Just an update - I got the job! I'm so excited! Thanks for all your support.

Congratulations :D

jenvan Collaborator

That is awesome--congrats !! :D

Archived