This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Gluteny Food You've Craved But Definitely Not Worth It...

heatherjane

cassP Contributor

Pizza. Sandwiches. Eating cheese ... I miss cheese so badly I could cry.

you're so disciplined!i just cant break my cheese addiction... not on top of the gluten too... at least not yet. i am a very addictive person.. always dying for more seratonin... and i must conquer the ciggs next (for a 2nd time)... then maybe i can think about the cheese.. :(

i also have to get off all the frozen coffee drinks :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RideAllWays Enthusiast

A croissant. A tortilla that actually rolls.

tennisman Contributor

I have a breadmaker and I can make good fresh bread, but mine doesn't make the French bread crust right even with wheat. I loved the fresh baked baguettes in France, and I'm after the real deal. Long, thin bread, with a chewy, shiny crust and that fluffy, holey inside that's so soft it's hard to even butter. Even if I do a French style bread with wheat in my bread machine, the shape of the loaf is all wrong so you don't get all the crust. I used to make passable baguettes by setting up the dough in the bread machine and then baking in my oven with a pan of water at 450F for steam. I've played with gluten-free flours a bit but the texture of gluten-free baguettes I've made don't come close to the real thing.

Cool , which bread mix do you use ? I used Juvela mix Open Original Shared Link and that made the fluffy bread. It wasn't long thin bread but it was definitely fluffy and the crust was kinda similar , it had a lot more crust than the previous bread mixes I have used. It sounds like it is difficult to make it perfectly. For me I don't mind what the bread or food looks like I just want it to taste nice :D lol That is how I remember the taste of french bread to be.

heatherjane Contributor

Right now, I'm wanting Totino's Pizza. Definitely not worth a cheat, but back in the day I could eat a whole one in one sitting.

Cinderella10 Newbie

I will always and forever miss E.L. Fudge cookies. <sigh> Sometimes I miss Fig Newtons, but I've found a gluten-free recipe that suffices when I'm craving those.

bigbird16 Apprentice

I miss quiche. I want it so much sometimes. The pie crust I can make without a problem. The cream can be subbed with mimicreme. But the cheese...I don't tolerate soy or, for whatever reason, the other non-dairy cheeses (Rice Vegan, Daiya, etc.). That's sad, because Daiya tastes wonderful.

Pretty much everything that I get a hankering for I've been able to figure a safe alternative for--sweet and sour chicken, onion rings, coconut shrimp, samosas, profiteroles, etc. I found a recipe for a cashew-based "ricotta" the other day. I'm going to try gluten-free lasagna with this "cheese" next time I get that craving. Maybe it would be good on pizza, too. Or straight out of the bowl. ph34r.gif Maybe it would work in quiche. lol Never know 'til ya try!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

The only thing I crave that I can't find a gluten free version of is phyllo. I would love to scarf down a whole package of raspberry turnovers or a sheet of baklava.

A tortilla that actually rolls.

I've been gluten free long enough to know I can find or make most anything I miss from my pre-gluten free days. Donuts, french bread, pizza, croissants, pasta. Just tonight I made Tiramisu.

But phyllo dough, I'm with you Ravenwoodglass. Can't find a replacement---yet.

A tortilla that actually rolls, yea RideAllWays, that too. French Meadow Bakery has it almost.

I do miss Campbell's Cream of Shrimp soup. Well I miss the dip I use to make with it. But haven't missed it enough to figure out a recipe.

None of what I miss is tempting enough to eat something with gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rowena Rising Star

Okay work taunted me with sbarros pizza today... OH NO!!!!!!!!!! I wanted it so bad... So I change my reply to pizza.

Christi1996 Newbie

What kids of dumplings do you like? If it's not the big fluffy ones...I have a good recipe. It's for egg noodles, but made a little thicker, they are like the chicken and dumplings I made before being gluten-free. (If it's the big fluffy ones...I thought I saw a recipe...let me keep looking in my cookbooks)

Wow, the egg noodle-y type sound great. That is the kind we like and I would love the recipe.

11475 Apprentice

Vegemite! On a crusty multi-grain baguette, or just multi-grain sandwich bread.

There is a gluten free substitute, 'MightyMite', but it tastes nothing at all like the real thing.

(Obviously, I'm Australian!)

mushroom Proficient

Yeah, obviously :P

Archived