Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mushroom

Almond, Cranberry & Coconut Florentines

Well, at least she asked what a florentine was, so here they are.

I hadn't made the recipe until today and didn't want to post in case it was a disaster. Turns out to be scrumptious and a very forgiving recipe to boot.

Ingredients:

Vegetable oil (for trays)

3 egg whites

110g icing (confectioner's) sugar

220g flaked (sliced) almonds

50g slivered almonds

50g shredded coconut

50g dried cranberries

200g good dark chocolate (chopped)

Heat oven to 160C.

Line two baking trays with baking paper and brush lightly with vegetable oil.

In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites lightly, then whisk in icing sugar. Add flaked almonds, slivered almonds, coconut and cranberries, and gently mix until combined.

Place by the tablespoonful on the trays and flatten them with moistened fingers to flat discs of about 9cm diameter.

Bake for 10 minutes, then turn each tray 180 degrees and bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool on the tray (they will harden as they cool) then arrange flat side up on a wire rack set over newspaper.

Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of hot water, stirring. Pour a spoonful of chocolate on each florentine and spread with a spatula. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set, then store in an airtight container between layers of baking paper. Keep in a cool place or in the fridge.

Confessions: I did not have enough sliced almonds (220g is a lot!), so I added a few more slivered, some golden raisins, a little bit more coconut, and some rice flakes :o

I was not sure how stiff the egg whites were supposed to be, so I started with them quite loose when I started adding the confectioner's sugar, and by the time I got done they were quite stiff. I made mine a little smaller in size and got 20 out of the recipe. You don't have to put the chocolate on, but if you can "do" chocolate, why wouldn't you? :P

These will be really nice with a cup of coffee after dinner. :)

Sorry about the grams :rolleyes: I have a scale that works in both oz and g so it does all the conversions for me.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009