This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Nail Polish Has Wheat In It?

superbeansprout

superbeansprout Rookie

So last year or so, I noticed that when I went to get my nails done, and I was stuck with my hands and feet in the blow dryer UV things, I was reading that spray that rapidly sets your nails as a "just in case"...and it had hydrolyzed wheat protein in it...well when they ever sprayed my feet with that you better believe I didn't breathe for about 5 minutes.

I never thought to look but while doing my OWN nails today I saw that my clear nail polish also has hydrolyzed wheat protein! Is there no end to the madness?? wheat in my NAIL POLISH????

Not that I bite my nails, but I've had problems getting my TTGs into a normal range for 4 years now, and my doctor says it might be something I'm doing every day that is building up over time, something like cosmetics or shampoo...but I've always been told that you cannot absorb gluten through your skin. so I'm really confused. I don't eat anything unless it says "gluten free" or is just naturally gluten free. I don't know why I can't get into the normal range though. it's very frustrating. And I just don't know if it's that there isn't enough science around what happens if you accidentally eat gluten at a restaurant or something. How fast does your TTG rise after a glutening? How long does it stay high? how long until it comes back down to normal? weeks? months?

anyone?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

If the wheat is on your nails, a little might get on your food or if you lick your fingers. Also, Wet n wild polish is gluten-free but I can't find where I got that from. I think it was a post on here.

Also, OFF bug spray has gluten in it. Cutter is gluten-free. Of course, lots of hair spray and styling products have wheat protein. Some lotions, too.

This is from Avon in April 2010.

Hello Karen,

I have received your email regarding a number of concerns. My name is

Harry D., and I'm happy to assist you with each one of them. To ensure

that all your concerns are covered, I have listed them below:

- What is nitrocellulose made from

- Request for a gluten free nail polish

It can be disappointing to know that as of now we do not have the

information about what is nitrocellulose made from. However, it's not a

gluten derive.

Additionally, I'm happy to report that the Nailwear Pro Nail Enamel is

gluten free.

I hope I've helped you. Please keep an eye on our website. We're always

trying to improve it for you.

Sincerely,

Harry D.

Avon Information Center

Skylark Collaborator

I don't know how much gluten you would get from nail polish. We have had board members who didn't have their TTG fall until they stopped eating processed "gluten-free" foods and switched to eating only whole foods they cooked themselves. Most companies making gluten-free breads, pastas, and cookies keep their products below 20 ppm but that may be too high for you.

superbeansprout Rookie

I don't know how much gluten you would get from nail polish. We have had board members who didn't have their TTG fall until they stopped eating processed "gluten-free" foods and switched to eating only whole foods they cooked themselves. Most companies making gluten-free breads, pastas, and cookies keep their products below 20 ppm but that may be too high for you.

I've been thinking I need to go to a completely naturally gluten free diet to get my TTGs down, like you said because it's only gluten free down to that 20 ppm, so maybe I'm just REEEEEAAALLLLY sensitive. that's so hard to do though. I guess it's back to chicken, quinoa, and veggies/fruits for me!

superbeansprout Rookie

If the wheat is on your nails, a little might get on your food or if you lick your fingers. Also, Wet n wild polish is gluten-free but I can't find where I got that from. I think it was a post on here.

Also, OFF bug spray has gluten in it. Cutter is gluten-free. Of course, lots of hair spray and styling products have wheat protein. Some lotions, too.

This is from Avon in April 2010.

Hello Karen,

I have received your email regarding a number of concerns. My name is

Harry D., and I'm happy to assist you with each one of them. To ensure

that all your concerns are covered, I have listed them below:

- What is nitrocellulose made from

- Request for a gluten free nail polish

It can be disappointing to know that as of now we do not have the

information about what is nitrocellulose made from. However, it's not a

gluten derive.

Additionally, I'm happy to report that the Nailwear Pro Nail Enamel is

gluten free.

I hope I've helped you. Please keep an eye on our website. We're always

trying to improve it for you.

Sincerely,

Harry D.

Avon Information Center

Thanks Karen, this is great information! I'll check out Wet 'n Wild, and Avon. I knew about Avon, but stopped buying it because it meant I had to anticipate what I was going to need, and sometimes you just need a new eyeshadow. :)

kareng Grand Master

Thanks Karen, this is great information! I'll check out Wet 'n Wild, and Avon. I knew about Avon, but stopped buying it because it meant I had to anticipate what I was going to need, and sometimes you just need a new eyeshadow. :)

We have an Avon store. I think its a rep that buys a lot of stuff and rents a space.

Gemini Experienced

So last year or so, I noticed that when I went to get my nails done, and I was stuck with my hands and feet in the blow dryer UV things, I was reading that spray that rapidly sets your nails as a "just in case"...and it had hydrolyzed wheat protein in it...well when they ever sprayed my feet with that you better believe I didn't breathe for about 5 minutes.

I never thought to look but while doing my OWN nails today I saw that my clear nail polish also has hydrolyzed wheat protein! Is there no end to the madness?? wheat in my NAIL POLISH????

Not that I bite my nails, but I've had problems getting my TTGs into a normal range for 4 years now, and my doctor says it might be something I'm doing every day that is building up over time, something like cosmetics or shampoo...but I've always been told that you cannot absorb gluten through your skin. so I'm really confused. I don't eat anything unless it says "gluten free" or is just naturally gluten free. I don't know why I can't get into the normal range though. it's very frustrating. And I just don't know if it's that there isn't enough science around what happens if you accidentally eat gluten at a restaurant or something. How fast does your TTG rise after a glutening? How long does it stay high? how long until it comes back down to normal? weeks? months?

anyone?

If you do not bite your nails, then it's highly unlikely that the nail polish is causing a problem. You are correct, gluten cannot be absorbed topically. One thing that most doctors seem to overlook is that a repeatedly high tTg can signify another autoimmune issue going on, as tTg can be a marker for other diseases besides Celiac so why they never go there is beyond me. Hashimoto's thyroid disease and liver disease are 2 such examples of other diseases which can raise tTg and both are associated with Celiac also.

I have Hashi's, along with Celiac, and I do not screen anything other than lip products for wheat content as I do not ingest them.....very careful with that. My thyroid is under control, along with my Celiac and my tTg is in the normal range and has been for awhile. I was diagnosed via blood work so if this were an issue, I would not have normal blood work. I would highly recommend looking into other autoimmune issues also, to rule those things out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

my doctor says it might be something I'm doing every day that is building up over time, something like cosmetics or shampoo...but I've always been told that you cannot absorb gluten through your skin.

I think it would be a good idea to make sure your shampoos, conditioners, lotions etc are gluten free for at least a couple of months or until your next checkup and blood test. Anything that gets on your hands can get into your system either through your mouth or rubbing your eyes or nose. Also go with whole foods for the most part if you are not already and if you have a significant other who consumes gluten do have them brush their teeth well before kissing. Double check all your scripts and supplements for gluten ingredients and if your supplements have wheat or barley grass do switch to a different brand that doesn't.

Archived