This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Botox And Restylane

twe0708

twe0708 Community Regular

Are these gluten free and has anyone used them before.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Unless you ingest these 2 products, it wouldn't matter if they were gluten-free or not. However, the use of these is not recommended for those with autoimmune problems so I would not advise using them at all. I asked a plastic surgeon about the Restylene as a wrinkle filler and he told me he would never, ever inject these into anyone with any kind of autoimmune problem, due to the high risk of a reaction. It wouldn't be a gluten reaction but having an autoimmune disease and overactive immune system really increases the risk of a reaction. He told me that I would be taking huge risks doing so. I'm sticking with the wrinkle cream. :D

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The best place to get the answer to whether they are gluten free or not would be from the maker. If they are not gluten free you definately would not want to use them. Gluten absorbed into the blood stream through the intestines and mucous membranes cause enough of an antibody reaction. I have never heard of anything injected that wasn't gluten free but that doesn't mean for certain that nothing is.

Gemini Experienced

I thought of another idea that was presented to me by the surgeon but not all people are candidates.....you can have fat removed from your abdominal area and then re-injected into your face. Sounds ridiculous but it works well for those of us who cannot use other products due to autoimmune issues. It will re-absorb eventually and have to be repeated but I understand it works very well. However,you have to have enough abdominal fat for it to be done. Great way to reduce tummy fat and banish those wrinkles! :D

Charlie's Girl Apprentice

I used to run a Med-Spa. While reactions were rare- they can be really awful. And they are right there on your face where everyone can see them, so if you don't want people to know you are having work done, you'll have to hibernate for days or maybe even weeks. And don't try it for the first time before a big event.

No matter who you see- carefully research him or her. Get recommendations and do an internet search. A lot of people out there do really bad work. We saw a lot of people come through our doors who went to the "cheaper" person and then came to us to see if we can fix the problem. Most of the time- there is no fix and most injectables last for months and months.

I loved the woman I worked for, but I never let her come near me with a needle. I have multiple allergies and was afraid that I would have an adverse reaction. I did however let her use the laser on me. I saw some very nice results with laser "facials."

These results are not the same as fillers and Botox, but they do help your skin look more youthful and firm.

Good luck with your treatments.

Gemini Experienced

I used to run a Med-Spa. While reactions were rare- they can be really awful. And they are right there on your face where everyone can see them, so if you don't want people to know you are having work done, you'll have to hibernate for days or maybe even weeks. And don't try it for the first time before a big event.

No matter who you see- carefully research him or her. Get recommendations and do an internet search. A lot of people out there do really bad work. We saw a lot of people come through our doors who went to the "cheaper" person and then came to us to see if we can fix the problem. Most of the time- there is no fix and most injectables last for months and months.

I loved the woman I worked for, but I never let her come near me with a needle. I have multiple allergies and was afraid that I would have an adverse reaction. I did however let her use the laser on me. I saw some very nice results with laser "facials."

These results are not the same as fillers and Botox, but they do help your skin look more youthful and firm.

Good luck with your treatments.

You are smart to not inject anything like fillers when having an autoimmune issue. They are foreign substances not natural to the human body and with allergies and intolerances, the incidence of a reaction or rejection is much higher than that of the general public without these issues. When it's on your face, why take the risk?

Lasers are a good option, with excellent results if the surgeon is good at what they do. Or the wrinkle creams are another option. The surgeon I consulted with is tops in his field and he doesn't use fillers

on people with autoimmune issues, period. The risk is too high.

• 2 years later...
neaton Newbie

"Oh, Vanity, thy name is..." Nancy!

I finally gave in and got restylane injections to fill the wrinkles perpendicular to my lip line. At first I loved it. It looked great.

Then, a few days later, I noticed a dramitic change in my normally consistent stools: size (smaller) and color (lighter). (Sorry if that's too much information but I want to tell everything so others are forewarned). Then I began having the kind of symptoms I get if I accidently eat wheat: bloating, flatulence. But I knew I hadn't eaten anything with wheat, etc in it. Then the injuection sites got hard and swollen, red and tender. It goes on, day after day.

So here I sit. Miserable. They wanted me to take Doxycycline, because they say it has anti-inflammatory effects, but the side-effects are too scary for me, who eats all organic and never takes any perscription medicines. I dare not make a bad situation worse.

I think I'll just have to tough it out - for around six months or how ever long it takes my body to get rid of the restylane. I hate what it's doing to my body. Obviously I'm not digesting my food properly or there wouldn't be the bloating and gas.

My plan is to increase my supplements and take probiotics - and avoid looking in the mirror.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

"Oh, Vanity, thy name is..." Nancy!

I finally gave in and got restylane injections to fill the wrinkles perpendicular to my lip line. At first I loved it. It looked great.

Then, a few days later, I noticed a dramitic change in my normally consistent stools: size (smaller) and color (lighter). (Sorry if that's too much information but I want to tell everything so others are forewarned). Then I began having the kind of symptoms I get if I accidently eat wheat: bloating, flatulence. But I knew I hadn't eaten anything with wheat, etc in it. Then the injuection sites got hard and swollen, red and tender. It goes on, day after day.

So here I sit. Miserable. They wanted me to take Doxycycline, because they say it has anti-inflammatory effects, but the side-effects are too scary for me, who eats all organic and never takes any perscription medicines. I dare not make a bad situation worse.

I think I'll just have to tough it out - for around six months or how ever long it takes my body to get rid of the restylane. I hate what it's doing to my body. Obviously I'm not digesting my food properly or there wouldn't be the bloating and gas.

My plan is to increase my supplements and take probiotics - and avoid looking in the mirror.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I am so sorry you had this problem! It is easy to get tempted so don't beat yourself up...lesson learned.

I doubt the injection had any gluten component to it as they just don't use anything like that in injectables. There are different ingredients but many are acid based...the same type of acids found in the human body that keep your complexion looking youthful. Plus, injectables should not affect your gut....you have to ingest gluten via the intestinal tract to cause a reaction....not through your skin or vein. They formulate fillers to last for a certain amount of time and not be absorbed into the skin quickly.

Having said that, if you have a site reaction from it, you have stirred up your immune system and that in itself will make you feel crappy. I don't know if there is anything you can do to speed up recovery but I agree on not taking Doxycycline. That is a wide spectrum antibiotic and can blow out your GI tract....just what you need right now!

I hope you feel better soon!

Archived