punkinrice

Apple Crisp With Steel Cut Oats

Rate this topic

I'm a newly diagnosed celiac and trying to navigate through a new way to eat and make old favorites that I'd hate to lose. I was wondering if anybody out there has substituted steel cut oats in an apple crisp topping? I haven't been able to find any gluten-free-Oats where I live other than the steel cut type. If so, did you have to adjust your cooking time since they take so much longer to cook and use so much more moisture?

I'm a newly diagnosed celiac and trying to navigate through a new way to eat and make old favorites that I'd hate to lose. I was wondering if anybody out there has substituted steel cut oats in an apple crisp topping? I haven't been able to find any gluten-free-Oats where I live other than the steel cut type. If so, did you have to adjust your cooking time since they take so much longer to cook and use so much more moisture?

Personally I wouldn't trust steel cut oats unless they are specifically gluten-free...not sure how they'd work for a topping for apple crisp either. I've only been gluten free for 7 months and have not yet tried oats.

Roben Ryberg has a recipe in The Gluten Free Kitchen for apple crisp with a streusel topping and I found it here (scroll down to message #4). I've been wanting to try it but haven't yet. There are also some other ideas and links to recipes, too.

http://www.celiac.co...risppie-recipe/

steel cut oats cook very differently from rolled oats (they need much more time, and often more liquid).

I make a crumb topping for baked apples (think apple pie without the crust) with a 1:1 sugar/flour ratio, a bit of cinnamon/cloves/nutmeg, and cut with enough butter to make it crumbly. For the flour, I often use brown rice and millet, but many flours would work with this.

I went ahead and tried it using the bobs redmill gluten-free steel cut oats. I upped the oven temp. to 375 degrees instead of the 350 I usually bake on. The topping was deliciously crunchy, and a little chewier than the regular one I made pre-diagnosis with the quick oats. My DH actually said he preferred it this way, and begged me to make it again (but he also loves steel cut oats). Our kids gobbled it up too :)

I went ahead and tried it using the bobs redmill gluten-free steel cut oats. I upped the oven temp. to 375 degrees instead of the 350 I usually bake on. The topping was deliciously crunchy, and a little chewier than the regular one I made pre-diagnosis with the quick oats. My DH actually said he preferred it this way, and begged me to make it again (but he also loves steel cut oats). Our kids gobbled it up too :)

Could you post a recipe of this? I have those oats and it sounds good!