This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Maltodextrin/good Or Bad?

Babs83

Babs83 Rookie

I'm new to this chat thing and Celiac. My brother was diagnosed about 17 years ago and has been gluten free since. Once got into some wheat flour and went into shock. He says that Maltodextrin contains gluten, but the websites I've read says it is safe. I have been fighting Migraines for about 8 years, been everywhere - doctors say I'm stressed! Been on all kinds of antidepressants. I've been sticking to the gluten free diet for about 2 and a half weeks, starting to feel better. Had a migraine last week, must have eaten something - licked an envelope!

Is Maltodextrin bad? How about Velveeta Cheese or Cheese Whiz? Oh, and he says Distilled Vinegar is a no-no also!

Barb

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Not sure where he got his info...things may have changed since he was diagnosed...he may want to look on this site to get updated. He is probably missing out on so many wonderful foods.

Maltodextrin in food made in the US is ok for us unless otherwise stated. All companies MUST put on their label if it is not derived from corn. For medications that is different and you must call about the source but in food it is ok for us unless stated otherwise.

Velveeta cheese is a Kraft brand. Kraft, along with some other companies, have a policy that they will not hide anything on labels. They will cleary put wheat,rye,barley,oats right on the label if it contains any.

Distilled vinegar is ok because the gluten can not make it through the distillation process.

• 4 weeks later...
BabySnooks Rookie
I'm new to this chat thing and Celiac.  My brother was diagnosed about 17 years ago and has been gluten free since.  Once got into some wheat flour and went into shock.  He says that Maltodextrin contains gluten, but the websites I've read says it is safe.  I have been fighting Migraines for about 8 years, been everywhere - doctors say I'm stressed!  Been on all kinds of antidepressants.  I've been sticking to the gluten free diet for about 2 and a half weeks, starting to feel better.  Had a migraine last week, must have eaten something - licked an envelope! 

Is Maltodextrin bad?  How about Velveeta Cheese or Cheese Whiz?  Oh, and he says Distilled Vinegar is a no-no also!

Barb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dear KaitiUSA:

I understand that if a label lists a hydrolyzed vegetable protein, it could be from wheat. If the label specifically lists a hydrolyzed corn protein, does that mean it is gluten-free?

Also, I am trying to determine if I can eat Lipton Cup-A-Soup, cream of chicken. Among the ingredients that I am not sure of are:

maltodextrin, yeast extract, tumeric, parsley, celery powder, chicken broth, paprika extractive. Can anyone tell me if this soup is gluten-free?

This is the first day of my diet, so I am still struggling with incredients.

Thanks

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
dear KaitiUSA:

I understand that if a label lists a hydrolyzed vegetable protein, it could be from wheat.  If the label specifically lists a hydrolyzed corn protein, does that mean it is gluten-free?

Yep the corn protein is gluten free. It is when they do not specify is when it can be a problem.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Velveeta is gluten free. :D Your brother needs to check out this site!! It will change his gluten free world. ;)

celiac3270 Collaborator

Absolutely.

Maltodextrin is gluten-free in the United States unless it states otherwise (i.e. says "WHEAT maltodextrin." The one exception to this rule is medication where you need to check out its source, but don't you nearly always have to call for medicine, anyway?

Distilled vinegar is a big debate, but at least theoretically, it's gluten-free. The grain is removed in the distillation process, so it's gluten-free and also, it might not even be made with a gluten-containing grain such as wheat--what if it's distilled from...rice? Then there's no question!

Yes, I think Velveeta is gluten-free--it's a Kraft company, anyway.

• 1 month later...
connole1056 Rookie

Maybe your brother was referring to malt as that should be avoided.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Distilled vinegar is a big debate, but at least theoretically, it's gluten-free. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For our family distilled vinagar is a big no-no if it is made from wheat. We react to it without a doubt, don't need no studies here the blisters tell us all we need to know. We have pretty severe DH and that might make a difference. I believe heinz vinigar is from corn but I always call the company when I try anything new. Many don't list crosscontamination issues on their products. Lays is a good example of that. They state it on their web site but not the products, sometimes they're okay, sometimes they're not.

Oh yea, maltodextrin is fine but malt and dextrin are not.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Dextrin can be okay...it can be made from corn, as in Starburst candies. It can also be made of wheat, but it often okay.

Malt is nearly always bad, but in EXTREMELY RARE circumstances, can be ok.

scaredparent Apprentice

My son has been gluten-free for about 7 mo and I was told by my "mentor" (another celiac disease patient and her husband) that maltodextrin was not ok. I keep away from it at all times.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
My son has been gluten-free for about 7 mo and I was told by my "mentor" (another celiac disease patient and her husband) that maltodextrin was not ok.  I keep away from it at all times.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's in the US it will be ok unless stated on the label. ALL companies have to do this. Medication is a different story. Research it a bit and people will tell you that.You are probably missing so many good foods you can have. I would definitely research it instead of taking someones word for it because you will be pleasantly surprised-you can have in the US unless stated otherwise on a label.

You should tell the "mentor" to look it up too. He/she is also missing out on things they can have and giving out false info.

lovegrov Collaborator

"My son has been gluten-free for about 7 mo and I was told by my "mentor" (another celiac disease patient and her husband) that maltodextrin was not ok. I keep away from it at all times."

You were told wrong. Maltodextrin almost never, ever comes from wheat and when it does in the U.S., it must by law clearly say so.

I don't mean to be rude about the person who's helping you out because it's great that he or she is doing so, but they need to catch up on current information. I've been gluten-free for almost four years and I learned one month after I started that almost all maltodextrin is OK. In four years I've seen maltodextrin with wheat twice, and in both cases it clearly said wheat maltodextrin.

richard

Archived