Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

norahsmommy

gluten-free Tortillas!

I made some great gluten free tortillas this morning. I told my husband we would have chicken enchelada's for dinner or burritos and then I though, oh crud, I don't know where to find gluten-free tortillas! So I made some and they were great! If I had rolled the dough thicker I think they would make a great pita like bread too. I used bobs red mill flour mix.

2 cups flour

1.5 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp salt

2 tsp sugar

1 cup warm water

mix, roll into 8 balls. pat out into a flat circle on a floured surface, then roll out as thin as possible. Toss into a skillet with a little pam on medium high heat until they start to puff a bit then flip. They are best warm but taste great no matter what. I do think they have more of a 'pita' flavor than tortilla, maybe its the flour. But definitly good!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yum! I make homemade tortillas and use them as pita bread or flat bread. For future reference, Mission Corn tortillas are gluten free and work well for enchiladas if you heat them before rolling. There's nothing like homemade though. I even bought a tortilla press to make them thinner.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

I like making homemade tortillas too and absolutely love love love my tortilla press that presses out the tortillas and cooks them. It is made by Villa Ware. I use a recipe from Living Without. They are really good made to order. For leftovers, I cook them until they are light brown and crispy like crackers and eat them like tostadas. They might be good reheated in the microwave, but for leftovers at work it is easier just to eat them crispy.

Lisa

Gluten Free 2/08

Dairy & Soy Free 8/08

Corn & Egg Free 3/10

Lots of autoimmune in family, no diagnosed celiacs. Non-supportive doctors...told there was nothing wrong with me. Tested by Enterolab. Diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia (6/10). Doing much better managing hypoglycemia in addition to no eggs or corn.