• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Googles

Gluten Free Pasta

Rate this topic

I have been eating rice pasta, but I want to try something new. I have found that I like it, but the cooking process is what I am having trouble with. It goes from under cooked to over cooked way too fast. I was hoping to find some other varieties of grains. What do people like? I really like the texture of wheat spaghetti so I was wondering if anyone knew ones that are like that?

Oh yeah, any suggestions need to be ones that I can buy in the store, not online. Thanks.

I have been eating rice pasta, but I want to try something new. I have found that I like it, but the cooking process is what I am having trouble with. It goes from under cooked to over cooked way too fast. I was hoping to find some other varieties of grains. What do people like? I really like the texture of wheat spaghetti so I was wondering if anyone knew ones that are like that?

Oh yeah, any suggestions need to be ones that I can buy in the store, not online. Thanks.

I really like Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta. It seems to hold up a little bit better and doesn't get mushy.

Inside the box, it's also wrapped in plastic to maintain it's freshness and safe from buggies. :)

Not all stores carry it, but you can check their options at: www.quinoa.net

Although it's a rice pasta, I've really liked Tinkyada - it cooked longer and seemed to have a firmer texture than the other rice pastas we had. Also, if you cooked it for the last couple of minutes in the sauce rather than the water, it absorbed the sauce nicely into the pasta and added a good flavor.

Corn pasta I wouldn't recommend - the taste had never seemed right, for me.

The quinoa pastas, like Ancient harvest, have had mixed reviews in my family. Some liked it, some hated it. Although that company does make a quinoa and WHEAT version of the same pasta, so that's always one to double check the box for.

We have had very good results with the Tinkyada brown rice pasta. We weren't as impressed with their white rice pasta.

Another vote for Tinkyada Brown Rice Pastas. Our favorite is the spaghetti--the trick is to use a large pan with a lot of salted, boiling water. Stir often, and begin testing for the doneness you prefer about 5 minutes or so before the package directions say to.

I really like Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta. It seems to hold up a little bit better and doesn't get mushy.

Inside the box, it's also wrapped in plastic to maintain it's freshness and safe from buggies. :)

Not all stores carry it, but you can check their options at: www.quinoa.net

This is our favorite, too. We also like Mrs. Leeper's corn pastas. We've tried the Tinkyada several times and we just can't get used to it. Something about the texture seems off to us. We've tried different cooking times, etc. and we always get the same results.

I also like the Ancient Harvest Quinoa. My DH who doesn't appreciate many gluten-free foods likes this and doesn't notice a difference. I did find that if you order it online you can get a better price, however, it was on sale at my local grocery store recently. It's the one I find most commonly in the local grocery stores.

We have had very good results with the Tinkyada brown rice pasta. We weren't as impressed with their white rice pasta.

Where would I find this at? The area I live in doesn't have any gluten-free food shops! Thank you.

I also like Tinkyada. I buy it at Whole Foods or Sprouts but you can also order it online. I'm Italian and was so freaked out about pasta until I found Tinkyada tasted "normal".

I also like Tinkyada. I buy it at Whole Foods or Sprouts but you can also order it online. I'm Italian and was so freaked out about pasta until I found Tinkyada tasted "normal".

Glad to know you like it also. May I ask....online where??????? Do you possibly have a web site for it?

Thanks so much.

I personally like jasmine and basmati rice. I also just invested in a rice cooker because i sucked at cooking it. I find the jasmine and basmati aren't as bad for you as white. I do like brown rice but have to try it it in the cooker. Rice spaghetti and noodles are also delicious. You have to be careful not to overcook it them it doesn't take long to cook. I throw in olive oil, veggies, and scrambled eggs for a nice thai like meal

Loey

My husband who is not a gluten intolerant/celiac prefers Ancient Harvest Quinoa because he says it tastes like "real" pasta. I myself hate it. I personally prefer rice pastas because I think they have more flavor. I have not tried Tinkyada, we just buy DeBoles because its cheaper. But common consensus says Tinkyada is good. So that will be my next try.

I really like Trader Joe's Brown Rice pasta. It's really good as long as you don't over cook it (key to all gluten-free pastas in my opinion). I don't think it costs any more than traditional pasta either.

I love pasta made from mungo beans. It tastes so much better than grain pasta. Not sure if and where you can buy it in US - I'm now back in Czech republic and the choices here are so different.

Corn pasta is my favorite. It has more flavor and same texture of regular pasta. My husband who isn't gluten-free loves it too.

Another vote for Tinkyada. I find that even after cooking, I warm it up in the microwave and really like it. I can't wait to start eating dairy so that I can have my favorite spaghetti and cheese dish!!

Where would I find this at? The area I live in doesn't have any gluten-free food shops! Thank you.

I've seen it in Kroger or Walmart stores that have a gluten- free section.

Was just looking through my stash of stuff to see what color the packaging is, but i don't seem to have the brown rice macaroni right now... their other pasta varieties, each variety is a different dark color back ground, w/ some gold coloring.

I tried tinkyada last night... ITS HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE Tinkyada's Spinach and Brown Rice Spaghetti. I buy it by the dozen off a well known website. It's heavenly with tomato sauce and it reheats well. You do have to test it periodically to find the right point to stop cooking, but that should be true with any pasta. I have always liked Thai Kitchen's rice noddles too when I can find them.

My favorite is Scharr but you can only get some of the cool shapes in Europe. Their flat lasagne noodles work great. I eat Deboles now most of the time just because that's the only thing I can get in my rural area.

I've tried Schar and do like it, as well as Tinkyada. I've bought Sam Mills but haven't tried it yet and it was inexpensive at $1.99/lb. I recently found Heartland at Wal-Mart for $1.98/12 oz. Tried the spaghetti and liked it. They have 3 shapes available. I understand about the rural area...we don't have a Whole Foods or Wegman's in sight.

hodgson mill all natural brown rice pasta penne with golden milled flax seed

I like it for pasta with parmesan cheese it is very tasty and I don't find it to be mushy. I have tried a lot of them this one is my favorite so far. I did buy a less expensive one from my local grocery store under $2 for a bag of brown rice gluten free pasta. I have yet to try that one but I will.

That is one of the crazy things about this diet it does send your grocery bill higher especially in the beginning when trying lots of new things.

I asked my local grocery to bring in udis bread they did and they charge $4 something vs $6 + at some of the higher priced markets in my area.

good luck

Thank you for all your suggestions. This makes the guessing game a lot easier. :)

Ancient harvest quinoa and my kids eat it and can't tell the difference. I just cook it a little longer than it says so it's not too rubbery.