Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Rate this topic

i am starting an elimination diet to pinpoint what, other than gluten, might be perpetuating symptoms. i bought natural almond butter last night, assuming it would be just almonds like the other brand i usually buy, but no...it contains palm oil. should i be avoiding palm oil for now? :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Palm oil should be OK for now. If you find that you are still having problems, you can always go back to your usual brand with only almonds in it and try eliminating it entirely. I don't know of palm oil as a major irritant or food allergy or reacting substance, though.

Good luck with your diet. It's hard, but I really hope you get good answers.

Depends on how restrictive your elimination diet is, I'd say. Oils and nut butters, being processed, always carry a risk of CC, although some have a lower risk than others. If you are really restricting yourself, I'd get unshelled almonds and go that route.

If not, it might help you later if you can hunt down a gluten-free almond butter with no other ingredients. That way, you can know for sure that it's THAT ingredient. Although, at that point, you'll have to try unshelled almonds again anyway, to make sure it's the almonds and not something during the processing that contaminated them with something, yeah?

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

Palm oil should be OK for now. If you find that you are still having problems, you can always go back to your usual brand with only almonds in it and try eliminating it entirely. I don't know of palm oil as a major irritant or food allergy or reacting substance, though.

Good luck with your diet. It's hard, but I really hope you get good answers.

I have a definite allergy to palm oil. It makes blisters in my mouth and if I get more than a bite of anything with palm oil I will get hives, throat swelling, and swelling of the lungs.

I have eliminated all other sources and have been tested. Doctors first said it could not be palm oil but upon completion of all the tests it was palm oil.

Good luck if you can eat anything without palm oil as listed and some natural flavors also have palm oil.

On 10/21/2011 at 1:18 PM, Fred 11049 said:

I have a definite allergy to palm oil. It makes blisters in my mouth and if I get more than a bite of anything with palm oil I will get hives, throat swelling, and swelling of the lungs.

I have eliminated all other sources and have been tested. Doctors first said it could not be palm oil but upon completion of all the tests it was palm oil.

Good luck if you can eat anything without palm oil as listed and some natural flavors also have palm oil.

I am allergic to Palm Oil too. I was told there is no test and had to figure it out the hard way. Were you able to confirm it?