Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shannon.a

Hey, New Here

Hey, my name is Shannon from Canada, BC. I was diagnosed with celiac two weeks ago. A couple months ago I had the blood test done but they wanted to do the scope to make sure I defintely had it. I have always had tummy problems and fatigue my whole life, over a year ago I went to the Doctor and told her I didn`t think it was normal to feel this tired all the time.... so she prescribed me anti-depressents! I obviously knew that wasn`t the case and felt very alone for a long time, until a friend suggested i go and get blood work done. I am so thankful to have found this forum it is so helpful and everyone is so nice :) And I don`t feel alone anymore! I have been trying to be gluten-free for two weeks now but somehow I keep getting sick, I make sure I read labels, but I'm thinking it might be dairy :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome Shannon.a!

A lot of people do have to give up dairy for a while. Also make sure not to eat to many pre- packaged foods. Try to eat more meats, fruits and veggies to start.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

Hey, my name is Shannon from Canada, BC. I was diagnosed with celiac two weeks ago. A couple months ago I had the blood test done but they wanted to do the scope to make sure I defintely had it. I have always had tummy problems and fatigue my whole life, over a year ago I went to the Doctor and told her I didn`t think it was normal to feel this tired all the time.... so she prescribed me anti-depressents! I obviously knew that wasn`t the case and felt very alone for a long time, until a friend suggested i go and get blood work done. I am so thankful to have found this forum it is so helpful and everyone is so nice :) And I don`t feel alone anymore! I have been trying to be gluten-free for two weeks now but somehow I keep getting sick, I make sure I read labels, but I'm thinking it might be dairy :(

for this beginning transitional period- i think it's a good idea to give up dairy, corn, and soy.. and keep your "gluten free" substitutes to a minimum (cookies, breads, cereals).

you can try adding those things in later- and maybe even one at a time. many people can go back to dairy once their villi are healed... but for many it's a more permanent thing.

some do fine with corn, and many of us dont.

those are the big 3 i think.

there are many other intolerance some of us have- fructose, nightshades, etc... but you should definitely start with avoiding dairy.

you might also want to treat yourself to some items that help heal your small intestine:

Ghee (only 1 tbsp a day.. plain or used to cook with or on your veggies)

L-Glutamine powder (1 heaping tbsp mixed with 8oz water)

:)

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

for this beginning transitional period- i think it's a good idea to give up dairy, corn, and soy.. and keep your "gluten free" substitutes to a minimum (cookies, breads, cereals).

you can try adding those things in later- and maybe even one at a time. many people can go back to dairy once their villi are healed... but for many it's a more permanent thing.

some do fine with corn, and many of us dont.

those are the big 3 i think.

there are many other intolerance some of us have- fructose, nightshades, etc... but you should definitely start with avoiding dairy.

you might also want to treat yourself to some items that help heal your small intestine:

Ghee (only 1 tbsp a day.. plain or used to cook with or on your veggies)

L-Glutamine powder (1 heaping tbsp mixed with 8oz water)

:)

Thank you so much for the info, I have no idea how I will eliminate dairy, this is going to be tough

Thank you so much for the info, I have no idea how I will eliminate dairy, this is going to be tough

You could try Lactaid milk and supplements if you think it's lactose intolerance. Works great for me! Welcome to the forum!

You can look for almond milk or hemp milk in organic or heath food stores. It is usually sold in boxes and on shelf rather than in a refrigerator.

You can find Daiya dairy free/soy free cheese shreds in Canada. Not the same as cow milk cheese but not too bad either.

where to find Daiya

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Gluten can not be hidden in an ingredient list as "spices." In theory, "artificial flavor" could be gluten-grain derived, but I have never encounted a case where it actually is. In the US, wheat would have to be explicitly disclosed.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I'm new to the site but have been gluten-free for nearly 9 years after my Celiac diagnosis. As someone else mentioned you need to give your body a chance to heal after all the damage gluten has done to it. Eat simply and blandly for a while and cut out processed foods, restaurants and foods like milk, eggs and peanuts which many people have sensitivities to anyway. Yes, this sucks but simple food cooked and prepared by you and only you that is easy to digest will make it easier on your gut to heal and will avoid you getting poisoned by gluten. A common problem many Celiacs can have is leaky gut. This is where gluten has ravaged your small intestine and actually perforated the lining allowing food to pass through undigested, this causes an immune response in the body as it sees this undigested food as a foreign invader. Keep a food log, this is very helpful in the early stages to try and identify foods that are causing you issues. Get a good multi vitamin that is gluten-free and a sublingual B-12, this will help increase your energy level. Being gluten-free isn