Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mario

Not feeling well

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Hi guys..

well yesterday was my B Day and, everything went well until 10:30pm I had some corn puffs with Lecithine in the ingredients and, am very sick today feeling intoxicated and, major diareeha :( . I will go to sleep now... :(

What is in Lecithine that we can not have?

I am really sorry to hear that you werent doing so good on your Bday. I can understand though under the circumstances. Just try to relax as much as you can till you're feeling better.

As far as I know Lecithin is an oily substance derived from Soy (and maybe other sources? I'm not sure, usually it is from Soy). Are you sure there wasn't something else you may have eaten that would cause your distress? Sometimes the reaction could be delayed and it may have been something earlier in the day or even the day before. I do hope you are feeling better soon. :(

God bless,

Mariann

I would highly recommend that you see an allergist....

Many people with food allergies are also intolerant to corn. I am one of those people. It took me a long time to realize that I had to live without it.

Guest dlf1021
As far as I know Lecithin is an oily substance derived from Soy (and maybe other sources?)

I read in one of my gluten-free cookbooks that Lechitin can either be derived from soy or wheat and it is something that should be checked out before eating a product to be certain to avoid contamination. If that was the only iffy ingredient in the cereal you ate, and you began to feel ill a short while after eating it, that's probably the culprit. To be certain, you can always send an e-mail, call, or write the company and ask the source of the lechitin they use in their cereal.

Hope this helped

sorry for the late reply but, there was also coloring in there...they where from frito lay.. :( I stopped eating it and, now I'm strictly on rice and, bananas and, drinking the rice water as well..and, some chicken.. :(

Guest Blackheartedwolf

I bet cross-contamination was what caused you to get sick. From what I have heard, Frito-Lay is not a very good brand to buy if you have celiac disease. Apparently they once had a screw up where the wrong kind of chips got put in the wrong bags, and also run their products on the same lines. Any products that would normally be gluten-free may be contaminated by dust/ residue from other products.

-------------

From Karen on celiac disease Delphi forum (link in my sig):

This was on the Safety Alerts Newsletter. Seems that Frito-Lay failed to get the correct chips into the correct bags.

"Recall Update: Frito Lay Salt & Vinegar Flavored Potato Chips Recall is Complete

(SafetyAlerts) - The FDA has released the following information.

PRODUCT

Lay's Salt & Vinegar Flavored Potato Chips, 11 1/2 oz. size.

Recall # F-100-4.

CODE

Lot code number 371128835; Pull Date of December 16.

RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER

Frito Lay, Inc, Plano, TX, by e-mail on October 30, 2003. Firm initiated recall is complete.

REASON

The product actually contains Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Chips.

VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE

769 cases (7,690 bags).

DISTRIBUTION

NC, SC, VA, TN, WV, KY and OH."

Lay's products are notorious for their cross contamination. Please see the disclaimer at the end of the gluten free list. There have been numerous reports of people on this forum and the listserve having gluten reactions to their products. That is why they are not a part of the safe food list here.

Frito-Lay gluten-free list

*The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected.

All Frito-Lay products are labeled accurately with the most current ingredient information. Frito-Lay makes every effort to maintain this list; however, since the ingredients in our snacks are subject to change at any time, we recommend that you check the label on a specific product for the most current and accurate nutritional information. If you need assistance, please contact Frito-Lay Consumer Affairs toll-free at 1-800-352-4477 Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Central Standard Time.

I've gotten sick off of cocoa puffs too.......i believe that some of the early boxes of the new formula version could have some cross contamination factors...i just am steering clear of that until it's been on the market longer

I did some research for you... Don't know if you have secondary allergies to food like I do but it appears there are hidden things in this. Also it might be CC becace they make cherrios and they are made out of wheat if my memory is right. I can't do CORN, maybe you can. Here are a few problem ingredients I see. See below \/

modified corn starch -- caramel color -- wheat starch <OH MY, OUCH!!!

General Mills® Cocoa Puffs Cereal(bowl)

F25-2509209-5100

General Mills®

7/8 oz bowl Frosted corn puffs. With 8 essential vitamins and minerals.

Ingredients: sugar, corn meal, cocoa, canola and/or rice bran oil, corn syrup, corn starch, modified corn starch, cocoa processed with alkali, salt, calcium carbonate, fructose, beet powder and caramel color, trisodium phosphate, artificial flavor, zinc and iron (mineral nutrients), vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), a B vitamin (niacinamide), vitamin B6 ( pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin mononitrate), a B vitamin (folic acid), vitamin B12, wheat starch. Freshness preserved by BHT.

Here is their web site Call them and give them a piece of your mind. I have been calling all different companies and telling them we aren't goning to eat their food anymore. It is the only way we will tell them we are mad as hell and were not gonna take it anymore.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

CB, sorry to hear you're still having problems.  Deficiency of Vitamin B12 can cause diarrhea.  It's a frequently overlooked symptom.  Did you discuss with your doctor what to do about the B12 deficiency? Shots or oral supplements?  ...
    I think you should consider getting tested for celiac disease in order to help rule out gluten ataxia.  Why?  I just had anemia.  No GI issues with gluten.  I never would have guessed that I had celiac disease.  
    My mom has Graves.  I much prefer Hashimoto’s!  I had a few thyroid swings and it is easier to be hypo than hyper.  My Mom has permanent eye damage as a result.  If you have Graves, get treatment which may include surgery.  Her ferritin levels a...