klynnk

Newby To Forum And Gluten Free

Rate this topic

I haven't been tested yet and can't get into see a gi doctor for a couple of weeks. I've been gluten-free for three days now. My first day I was feeling good, second day better but today not great. Maybe too much cheese?

My story goes way back. I can remember as a child having stomach aches and headaches. I grew up on Meat, potatoes, vegetable and a desert. Once a week or so we would eat out at McDonalds which was considered a huge treat. Everyone in my family was tall and thin including myself. I could eat anything and not really gain weight. I was told i was lucky. Tired and depressed pretty much sums up many years. Infertility, tired and more depressed. I would push myself every day to work, work out and function. Friends would say I did more by noon then most people.. probably because they didn't see me finding a place to clothes my eyes any chance I got. I had random pain in my arms and legs, migraines, runny nose, strange itching..blah blah blah. Doctors loved me. NOT. The list of medications was insane. Pain, headache, sleep, depression and then finally a doctor gave me something for energy, That was the death of me. I was 110 lbs and all of the above medication. I stopped approximately 8 months ago and still felt like crap. I was ready to give up.

Dizzy/Foggy

No memory

Pain

Itching

TIRED

Runny Nose

Headaches

Some stomach pain (not tons0

Bloated

Thirsty

Constant Yawning

Depression

I was eating a Starbucks oatmeal raisin cookie and water wandering around Barnes & Noble looking for a place to sit because I was exhausted at 1:00 in the afternoon. Picked up a book by the place I chose to sit and it was about gluten free. I read some, went home and googled more and the next day I started. Three days and I really do feel less foggy. Should I give up dairy too? This afternoon I didn't feel so great but still not as bad.

Thanks

Hi K,

Sounds like you could be on to something with the gluten-free diet. If you are going to get tested though you need to keep eating gluten until the testing is done. Otherwise the tests won't do any good. So you might wan to just keep chowing down all the remaining gluten in the house for a few weeks until the testing is over. Do try the diet for half year even if the tests say you are not making antibodies. The tests are not 100% accurate so the only thing to do to be sure is try the diet.

Welcome to th3 site! :D

Hi K,

Sounds like you could be on to something with the gluten-free diet. If you are going to get tested though you need to keep eating gluten until the testing is done. Otherwise the tests won't do any good. So you might wan to just keep chowing down all the remaining gluten in the house for a few weeks until the testing is over. Do try the diet for half year even if the tests say you are not making antibodies. The tests are not 100% accurate so the only thing to do to be sure is try the diet.

Welcome to th3 site! :D

Thanks for the welcome. I've read that I should keep eating gluten for the test .. BUT and I can't believe I'm saying this..I'm feeling too good not eating it. Feeling bad for so long and getting a taste of what I've always assumed was other peoples norm. I use to say that I wish I could get inside someone else's body to see how they felt. Again I know I'm only a couple days in but my clarity is so much better. Nose didn't run at all today. Barely yawned. Little fatigue. I know these sound small to most but it is life changing for me. I'm not going to get overly excited yet...

Thanks again

There are quite a few folks here that are selfdiagnosed. If you feel you can stick to the diet for life without a diagnosis then go ahead keep on the diet. If you think you need a diagnosis then do keep eating gluten and get tested but keep in mind that up to 20% of us have false negatives on testing. Glad to hear the diet is helping and the choice to test or not is yours but sometimes it can be helpful to have that diagnosis. If you are celiac then there is the need to check all your first degree relatives and it can be easier to get them to test if you have a formal diagnosis.