This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Know If You Had Colic When You Were A Baby?

SaraKat

SaraKat Contributor

I had colic as a baby and just got dx'd with celiac (at 35). I wonder if there is a connection?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

i had colic when i was a baby as well... and also had an intestinal virus and was hospitalized at 6 months i def think there is a connection btw i am 27 and just got diagnosed myself am struggling along the way but trying to get past this i def seem more sensitive since cutting out gluten:(

oceangirl Collaborator

I was a "colicky" baby. Took only 35 years to diagnose celiac- no idea if there's a connection but an interesting hypothesis!

lisa

GFinDC Veteran

I don't know if I was a colicky baby. But my mom said I used to turn the oatmeal bowl upside down on my head and refused to eat it. I'd rather have it run down my face instead. Plus I had a lot of, um, accidents. She cured me by dragging my butt thru the snow. She said this is when I learned the ABC's also, cause I started reciting the ABCs while snow boarding as it were. This probably works for all celiacs but doctors are afraid to try it now with all the lawsuits around. :angry::P:D

cap6 Enthusiast

I was a very colicky baby and known as "the constipation kid" all through my childhood. (what a great nickname... lol ) Canker sore, peeling finger nails and on... took to age 59 to diagnose.

This is an interesting thought....... Also I wasn't breast fed.

Judy3 Contributor

I was not a colicky baby but had digestive issues from about 6 yrs old on.

shopgirl Contributor

I didn't have colic nor any digestive issues as a baby. No health problems of any kind, actually, until I was in my twenties and my Celiac symptoms started popping up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

As far as I know, I wasn't a colicy baby, but i've been told that I got chicken pox at 6 months old (thanks to my older brothers bringing it home from school with them...).

i didn't start having any health issues until i was about 26 yo- about 8 years ago.

FooGirlsMom Rookie

I didn't have colic, but our son was terrible (TERRIBLE). I am almost positive he's also gluten intolerant. I'll find out when I have him on a gluten-free diet on Winter Break from college. I did have digestive upsets as a kid. Threw up a LOT. I also had a lot of constipation up through my early 20s (had to go to the Doc once). Our daughter, who is 9, and doing gluten-free with me, has had constipation since she was 1 (can you say enema?) and had alternating bouts of D and constipation her whole life (IBS like symptoms). She's clearing up nicely in less than a month.

I think it's interesting you connected colic with gluten. It could also be a dairy intolerance. What is it - casein - that's in both breast milk & formula? Only Breast Milk is easier to digest the proteins. Our son who had colic was not BF, but our daughter was...

FooGirlsMom

Skylark Collaborator

I was very colicky.

jerseyangel Proficient

I was very colicky.

I was too--funny I just recently asked my mom about that.

summerteeth Enthusiast

I was very colicky, too. Interesting article about a study relating colic & celiac: Open Original Shared Link

My mom is convinced that because of the colic (& other telltale symptoms), my pediatrician should have tested for celiac sometime in the 18 years I saw him.

jenngolightly Contributor

I had colic as a baby and just got dx'd with celiac (at 35). I wonder if there is a connection?

I had colic and was diagnosed when I was 37.

My son had colic and does not have Celiac (he's 18 now).

T.H. Community Regular

Ooh, interesting thought!

I was colicky, although not severely. I was diagnosed at 37.

My son was extremely colicky. He had a negative test at age 8, but symptoms resolve on a gluten free diet, so it affects him, definitely.

My daughter was no colicky, but she always had trouble sleeping, staying asleep, lots of anxiety even as a small toddler. She was diagnosed at age 11 and these problems have all disappeared on her gluten free diet.

toasty Newbie

i was breastfed but very colicky, though only for a few months according to my mom. Found out i have celiac at 28, though in the process i have wondered if there is a connection as well.

my oldest daughter was colicky for a long time, she's 4 now and i suspect she is reacting to gluten but her finger-prick blood test came back negative...i havent followed up with her but my second daughter wasnt colicky at all. I dont think a connection would be surprising.

Archived