Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rowena

Breads

So I mostly have figured out how to adapt recipes to a gluten-free version, but a lot of recipes call for dry milk.... what do I use instead, I prefer not to use dairy products in my bread.... HELP!!!!!!!!

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Rowena,

One of my cookbooks by Jules Shepard recommends a product called "DariFree Powder". You can find it online. Just Google it :)

FooGirlsMom

When I saw this photo, I thought it truly represented my life prior to being gluten-free. It was like being rooted in place trying to survive a Category 5. Now that I am gluten-free, I feel like I just might make it :)

So I mostly have figured out how to adapt recipes to a gluten-free version, but a lot of recipes call for dry milk.... what do I use instead, I prefer not to use dairy products in my bread.... HELP!!!!!!!!

Have you tried Soy Milk, Almond Milk, or Rice Milk? Most of the bread recipes I use allow for the use of your choice of "milk" - when i come across one that doesn't I have substituted anyways and never noticed anything but a minimal difference.

I have some Vance's Dari-Free (the original) that I bought at my local health food store. I've only used it once and really don't like the smell of it. Maybe it's just me ???

Living Without magazine also has a suggestion, and I don't know if this is a subscriber article or not but here's a partial quote:

http://www.livingwit...ead-2177-1.html

"Other ingredients.

Salt enhances flavor and helps extend shelf life. Sugar creates a good crumb, helps brown the loaf and feeds the yeast so your bread will rise. Protein (dry milk powder or dry potato flakes) helps form a softer bread. Xanthan gum (or guar gum) is the glue that binds ingredients together, providing elasticity and reducing crumbling."

I've never tried dry potato flakes but I plan to try it one of these days as I have several bread recipes that call for dry milk. (Obviously make sure they're gluten free.) And if you do use them, please let us know how they work...inquiring minds want to know. smile.gif

Sylvia

Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009

Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010

Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

My (Bette Hagman's) pizza crust recipe says to use dry milk powder or almond meal, so maybe you could try that. I use either or both, depending what I have on hand, and can't really tell the difference in the outcome.

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

Lostfalls~But instead of a powder? Does that really work?

sa1937~ooh that is an excellent article. Thanks very much for that link!

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

You're welcome, Rowena! Let us know if you try any good bread recipes. biggrin.gif

Sylvia

Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009

Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010

Gluten Free - April 9, 2010