Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

abe68

Whole Foods Gluten-Free Frozen Pie Crusts - Prebake?

I need to bake a gluten-free traditional pumpkin pie for my sister-in-law for Thanksgiving. I purchased Whole Foods frozen gluten-free pie crusts. The directions say that for a baked filled pie - bake at 325 degrees for 65-70 minutes. The gluten-free pumpkin pie recipe I have says to start the temperature at 425 for 15 minutes and then turn it down to 350 for 40-50 minutes.

The chef at Whole Foods suggested that I completely pre-bake the pie crust as directed with pie weights, add the pumpkin filling and then bake it for 425 for 15 min then at 350 for 40-50 min. I'm afraid the crust will be toast by the time the pumpkin filling sets even if I put foil around the outside crust.

A previous poster said that these crusts would be fine either pre-baked or not but I would really like to know what would work best.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've used these pie crusts and never had to prebake. I would think that prebaking would lead to burnt crusts....

Wenmin

Thawed not prebaked and cover the crust edges after they get to the desired color.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Wenmin and Missy'smom - thank you so much for your advice. I was afraid that pre-baking was the wrong thing to do for a pumpkin pie.

Happy Thanksgiving and thank you again for you help.

We love the Whole Foods frozen pie crust! They are so yummy!

I do prebake mine, with the edges covered in foil, at 350 for 7-8 minutes only. I poke a few fork holes in the bottom of the crust to prevent the crust from puffing up. I used to not prebake the bottom crust, but found out we like it much better prebaked.

I also use these crust for my chicken pot pie recipe. I diffently prebake the bottom crust when making this, other wise it becomes soggy.

Sometimes I thaw one of the frozen crust upside down on a large cutting board, and roll it out (between parchament or wax paper), and use it to top my pies where a 2 crust pie crust is needed (fruit pies, chicken pot pie)

So great!

Enjoy!

Thawed not prebaked and cover the crust edges after they get to the desired color.

Agreed. i cover the edges with a pie guard and bake on the lowest oven rack for the bottom to cook properly.

Gluten free since 1990.

Diagnosed by duodenal biopsy.

You don't stop skiing because you get old. You get old because you stop skiing :-)