This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need A Flour Substitute For Sweet Potato Casserole (Recipe Included). Help Please.

jet731

jet731 Newbie

I always make a sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving. This year, we are having the son and daughter-in-law of a family friend over as well. She has Celiac's, so I need a good substitute for flour in the recipe listed below. The Flour is part of the topping layer for the casserole and is combined with butter, brown sugar, and pecans. Does anyone have any suggestions for an appropriate substitute? Thanks in advance!

Ingredients

5 sweet potatoes

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 cup white sugar

2 tablespoons heavy cream

1/4 cup butter, softened

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.

2.Bake sweet potatoes 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until they begin to soften. Cool slightly, peel, and mash.

3.In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, salt, 1/4 cup butter, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, and heavy cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.

4.In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup butter, flour, brown sugar, and chopped pecans. Mix with a pastry blender or your fingers to the consistency of course meal. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.

5.Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until topping is crisp and lightly browned.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I would use rice flour.

Dixiebell Contributor

I like to use Pamala's baking and pancake mix. It worked really well for my peach cobbler.

kareng Grand Master

I have a couple of these types of recipes. The flour just thickens the sauce a bit. Some are fine if you leave them out. Otherwise, I have used Pamelas or Kinnick??? Bread & Bun mix.

I am going snitch your recipe to try. ;)

Lostfalls Newbie

Seems like coconut flour might be a great substitution in that recipe. Might want to give it a try....heck I might give it a try, sounds yummy....

jerseyangel Proficient

Being that it's only 3 tablespoons, you could really use whatever flour/mix that you want.

allie h. Newbie

I know its late but with it being so little flour I wonder if you could use corn starch?

I use Beth's All Purpose flour (gluten-free pantry) or Pamela's baking mix when I need flour

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wildwood Apprentice

I also thought cornstarch would work since it is available anywhere. I might follow the rule for gravy though and use 1/2 the amount for cornstarch (1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch = 3 Tbsp flour). If you do end up using cornstarch, please let us know how it turns out :)

Archived