Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jet731

Need A Flour Substitute For Sweet Potato Casserole (Recipe Included). Help Please.

I always make a sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving. This year, we are having the son and daughter-in-law of a family friend over as well. She has Celiac's, so I need a good substitute for flour in the recipe listed below. The Flour is part of the topping layer for the casserole and is combined with butter, brown sugar, and pecans. Does anyone have any suggestions for an appropriate substitute? Thanks in advance!

Ingredients

5 sweet potatoes

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 cup white sugar

2 tablespoons heavy cream

1/4 cup butter, softened

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.

2.Bake sweet potatoes 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until they begin to soften. Cool slightly, peel, and mash.

3.In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, salt, 1/4 cup butter, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, and heavy cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.

4.In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup butter, flour, brown sugar, and chopped pecans. Mix with a pastry blender or your fingers to the consistency of course meal. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.

5.Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until topping is crisp and lightly browned.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I like to use Pamala's baking and pancake mix. It worked really well for my peach cobbler.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

I have a couple of these types of recipes. The flour just thickens the sauce a bit. Some are fine if you leave them out. Otherwise, I have used Pamelas or Kinnick??? Bread & Bun mix.

I am going snitch your recipe to try. ;)

Being that it's only 3 tablespoons, you could really use whatever flour/mix that you want.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I also thought cornstarch would work since it is available anywhere. I might follow the rule for gravy though and use 1/2 the amount for cornstarch (1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch = 3 Tbsp flour). If you do end up using cornstarch, please let us know how it turns out :)