Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

India

Memory And Concentration

My memory and concentration have been troublesome since my coeliac disease began in Jan 2009 and it's gotten worse, rather than better, since going gluten-free in Jan 2010.

It's mostly a million tiny frustrating things, like forgetting why I came into a room or putting my doorkeys away after opening our first front door, when I still have the second to unlock. But I also feel like my mental capacities are blunted - for example, that nothing I write is as clear or expressive as I want it to be. I also muddle my words a lot, especially nouns.

I've not made any major mistakes at work yet but I feel it's just a matter of time. I've always hoped to study for a PhD but I'm in the middle of writing a proposal and wondering if I have what it takes any more.

I often hear here in the UK that it can take two years for the stomach to heal. So my question is... are my cognitive problems likely to improve with time too?

I'm taking sublingual B12, by the way, and I avoid soy, corn and FODMAPS. MY GI symptoms aren't much improved and I'm currently awaiting a second endoscopy in case my coeliac is refractory, though my TTG blood test was very encouraging.

Many thanks for any advice.

Self diagnosed but confirmed by biopsy

Gluten free Jan 2010

MSG free Jan 2010

Corn free Apr 2010

Soy free Jun 2010

Following a FODMAPS plan

Also have RSI, widespread myofascial pain and hypermobility problems

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Have you had your thyroid hormones checked recently? I find that when my thyroid is sluggish, I have symptoms very similar to yours. I forget what I'm doing, have trouble recalling words, etc.

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

Yup, my thyroid tests checked out fine. I just can't seem to do anything with any sense of purpose or efficiency :(

Gluten free Jan 2010

MSG free Jan 2010

Corn free Apr 2010

Soy free Jun 2010

Following a FODMAPS plan

I have had these problems too. They got substantially better after going gluten free, but only after a long time, due to the learning curve. Memory/concentration problems are one of my first symptoms of a gluten reaction. However, my doctor also told me that it's important to be careful as Celiac is suspected to be linked to M.S.

HOWEVER:

Some amount of forgetfulness also normal!

Low-blood sugar can also cause these kinds of issues. Lack of sleep. As can caesin (milk protein) reactions.

If you are really worried about it, I would suggest trying to see a neurologist. Especially if the problems have gotten worse, it's worth getting it checked out, if even to ease your mind!

-Diagnosed by doctor "gluten intolerant" without any tests, based on symptoms in 2008. Gluten-free since then.

-Currently awaiting tests to see official diagnosis.

Thank you for your reply. It's so good to think that there might be some improvement in time. There's a similar thread going on at the moment started by gifree that I've joined in with and people there have been encouraging too. I try to look after other areas of my health and I notice the difference if I don't get proper rest, but it's the strange wrong turns my brain takes that I think coeliac disease must be responsible for. Thanks for your advice - I'll keep it in mind.

Gluten free Jan 2010

MSG free Jan 2010

Corn free Apr 2010

Soy free Jun 2010

Following a FODMAPS plan

Bea,

In reading the listing of your symptoms below your signature and your description on the other thread with regard to nerve problems, I wonder if you might benefit from L-Lysine. I take 1000 mg per day, and it is the the ONE supplement I refuse to go without. Thankfully, it's cheap. I noticed a great improvement in my nervous system after I started taking it. My son and I both suffered from carpal tunnel problems, too, before going gluten-free and taking L-Lysine. We no longer have any such complaints.

Just a suggestion....