This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"gluten Free" Not Actually Gluten Free?

naiiad

naiiad Apprentice

I've been having problems with a few gluten free products. The other week my bf bought me "gluten-free" rice crackers which gave me a reaction, and yesterday I bought Lifesource "gluten-free" dijon mustard which also gave me a reaction.

My diet is very limited and it would be nice to be able to incorporate some new products, but I feel like every time I try something new its like rolling a dice.

A friend suggested that I should only ever buy products that have a "Gluten-free certified" stamp - indeed, neither the crackers nor the mustard was gluten-free certified.

So my question is, what are the advantages of buying products that are gluten-free certified? Can I trust these products over ones that aren't gluten-free certified?

I did some research on my own, but it'd also be nice to hear from people here.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jststric Contributor

Some products are just naturally gluten-free and its more a "jumping on the bandwagon" imo, to print "Gluten-free" on it. You could fall in one of two categories, imo. First, you are bothered by more than just gluten. Do these two items have something else in common? Start keeping track of ALL ingredients and see if you see a pattern of something else bothering you. The majority of us intolerant/allergic/Celiac are intolerant of more than just glutens.

Second....I am bothered by items that are commonly produced by a company that also produces other products that have things I can't have. For example....I can TECHNICALLY have tortilla chips. But I can't seem to have Dorito or other name brands that have all the different flavors. I am intolerant of dairy, chili powder, and many other things. Even the plain chips bother me. But I buy a brand that the plain is their ONLY product and I'm fine. I think big companies tend to move facilities around from time to time. I also cannot have anything that say, "Manufactured (or Processed) in a facility that also handles......." because most of those items listed I cannot have. And 98% of the time, it bothers me even tho the given item SHOULD be fine. Its called cross-contamination. And some are VERY sensitive and others not so much.

georgie Enthusiast

The USA standard for gluten-free is 20 ppm or less. Many of us need zero Gluten. In Australia our standard is 5 ppm or less and now they are trying to make it 20 ppm like other countries which is horrifing for us that need zero Gluten. I react to 20 ppm Gluten.

Kay DH Apprentice

The only food intolerance that I seem to have is to gluten. As such, I have reacted to labeled gluten-free foods that were "processed in a plant that also processes wheat...", and to labeled gluten-free processed foods (probably because they used cheaper non-gluten-certified ingredients). My latest reaction was to labeled gluten-free coconut that came from Sri Lanka. It is likely that it was processed in a plant that processes wheat (a major product of Sri Lanka), and also the Red Mills shredded coconut is from Sri Lanka, is not labeled gluten-free, and has the "processed in a plant that....." disclaimer. In other words, is you are very sensitive to gluten then most processed foods are suspect and you are the detective. I prefer Kraft brand to some of the smaller companies, just because Kraft labels allergens and they process so much food that cc is less likely (I hope). I only buy certified gluten-free flours because of the cc problems that I have had.

Skylark Collaborator

The USA standard for gluten-free is 20 ppm or less. Many of us need zero Gluten. In Australia our standard is 5 ppm or less and now they are trying to make it 20 ppm like other countries which is horrifing for us that need zero Gluten. I react to 20 ppm Gluten.

There is no USA standard at all. That legislation was only proposed, not passed. In the US, "certified gluten-free" doesn't have a well-defined meaning.

There is no way to determine whether a grain food that could be CC'd in harvest or transportation is actually zero gluten. As much as 5 ppm can read as zero depending on the sensitivity of the test. It is reasonably easy to determine whether a food is below 20 ppm, which is why the legislation is set there.

jerseyangel Proficient

I've been having problems with a few gluten free products. The other week my bf bought me "gluten-free" rice crackers which gave me a reaction, and yesterday I bought Lifesource "gluten-free" dijon mustard which also gave me a reaction.

My diet is very limited and it would be nice to be able to incorporate some new products, but I feel like every time I try something new its like rolling a dice.

A friend suggested that I should only ever buy products that have a "Gluten-free certified" stamp - indeed, neither the crackers nor the mustard was gluten-free certified.

So my question is, what are the advantages of buying products that are gluten-free certified? Can I trust these products over ones that aren't gluten-free certified?

I did some research on my own, but it'd also be nice to hear from people here.

Thanks!

Bottom line, I'd say that it depends on your level of sensitivity and plain old trial and error. You will get many answers because some of us are more sensitive than others.

I am extremely sensitive to cross contamination and will only try one new processed food at a time in case I react so I can pinpoint what it was. I eat mostly whole, naturally gluten-free foods and a few processed ones from Gluten Free Pantry, Enjoy Life, and Glutino. Those companies maintain gluten-free facilities and I've not had issues with them. I also (happily) have had good luck with the new Betty Crocker line of gluten-free baking mixes.

psawyer Proficient

Parts per million is only a partial answer. Your body reacts the actual total amount of gluten ingested over a given period, say a day. Two slices of 5 ppm bread is the same as half a slice of 20 ppm bread--assuming than the gluten content is, in fact, as high as the label says.

In general, the ppm quoted on a label is the detection threshold of the test used. Zero gluten is less than 5 ppm, and also less than 20 ppm (and less than 200 ppm). But you just cannot prove zero. The tests get more expensive as the threshold gets smaller.

Glutino is a well know and trusted supplier of gluten-free products. At their facilities no gluten is ever intentionally brought in. Nevertheless, they know that cross-contamination can happen at any point on the supply chain, including at the "gluten-free" plant. Someone could enter the facility with crumbs on their clothing from lunch outside. Glutino test their products, using a test which can detect 20 ppm gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LDJofDenver Apprentice

Certified, definitely.

I've been nailed so many times, in my early naivete (first year+ of diagnosis), by products that were labelled "gluten free" right on the front label, but revealed on the back "processed on equipment that also processes wheat..." etc. Or some that had ingredients list that certainly looked fine. But over time I've just gotten to the point that I don't buy it unless it's certified gluten free, or made at a dedicated gluten free facility. Just not worth the health risk to me.

Archived