This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

Chicken and yellow rice tonight:-) Maybe some black beans...

Only draw back is that I have not been able to find an MSG free yellow rice mix (dye free and of course gluten free though :-)

http://www.occasionalomnivore.com/2009/08/16/msg-free-chicken-and-yellow-rice/

does this work for you? :)

Question---if the "yellow" is coming from saffron--can you just use saffron threads and skip all the additives/MSG in any "mixes" you would purchase? I can't do MSG either and avoid all packaged things for this very reason.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

shadowicewolf Proficient

Leftovers that i accendently left out for two hours last night (ooooops). Gonna cook the heck out of them.

It shall be soup and rice.

Mom and grandma agree that it'd be okay (only would be a problem that long is if it was a dairy product).

IrishHeart Veteran

Bison and three bean chili tonight

(but skipping the corn bread--which would be de-lish with this-because my muumuu is still not here :angry: and my pants are stretched to the limit.....)

(and hey! I am a wee bit tired of the gray, cold and rainy stuff the Great Northeast has been suffering since Sunday, Sept. 23rd...but who's counting?.... :( ) blech.

geesh..Irish's normally ever-present and cheery demeanor is being taxed sorely....um, hullo?? is there any SUN out there?? please....

shadowicewolf Proficient

Bison and three bean chili tonight

(but skipping the corn bread--which would be de-lish with this-because my muumuu is still not here :angry: and my pants are stretched to the limit.....)

(and hey! I am a wee bit tired of the gray, cold and rainy stuff the Great Northeast has been suffering since Sunday, Sept. 23rd...but who's counting?.... :( ) blech.

geesh..Irish's normally ever-present and cheery demeanor is being taxed sorely....um, hullo?? is there any SUN out there?? please....

I'll trade you, we got to the 80s today with sun. THough this weekend we drop to like 39 with snowish and then bounce back up.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'll trade you, we got to the 80s today with sun. THough this weekend we drop to like 39 with snowish and then bounce back up.

Oh, babycakes!! gimme 80's any day!!! I'd be the happiest girl on the planet.

and just for clarification---where does it go from 80 to 39 with snow-ish??

Canada?

shadowicewolf Proficient

Canada?

Colorado, i have no doubt by next week we'll be back up in high temps again.

sora Community Regular

Canada?

Canada? Funny girl. Yep it does that here. :(

It was very nice here today, warm but a bit cloudy.

I made L2T's pasta with her ricotta filling for dinner today. First try was too dry and they split when I tried to fold them. Tried again and it was great. We put a Florentine sauce on them with some artichokes. So good and everyone loved them.

I am going to play around with the recipe using different flours.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Canada? Funny girl. Yep it does that here. :(

It was very nice here today, warm but a bit cloudy.

I made L2T's pasta with her ricotta filling for dinner today. First try was too dry and they split when I tried to fold them. Tried again and it was great. We put a Florentine sauce on them with some artichokes. So good and everyone loved them.

I am going to play around with the recipe using different flours.

She will be so pleased to hear this !! :)

Now, you know I meant no disrespect about the Canada question. I know it can swing wildly--just like in NYS. xxoo

sora Community Regular

The other day I converted my gnocchi recipe to gluten free and had it with a pesto I made with almonds. I was so happy it turned out I was clapping. :P

IrishHeart Veteran

The other day I converted my gnocchi recipe to gluten free and had it with a pesto I made with almonds. I was so happy it turned out I was clapping. :P

bravosmiley.gif

koz158 Apprentice

http://www.occasionalomnivore.com/2009/08/16/msg-free-chicken-and-yellow-rice/

does this work for you? :)

Question---if the "yellow" is coming from saffron--can you just use saffron threads and skip all the additives/MSG in any "mixes" you would purchase? I can't do MSG either and avoid all packaged things for this very reason.

Hey thanks! I will try this. The yellow is coming from saffron (and tumeric), this has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. Even with the prepackaged stuff my wife does really well, but given the opportunity to cook fresh I will take do it.

Dustin

sora Community Regular

Pork roast, roasted carrots and mashed potatoes. Maybe green beans too.

Smells so good and garlicky in here. :)

kareng Grand Master

Minestrone and focacia bread.

IrishHeart Veteran

Hey thanks! I will try this. The yellow is coming from saffron (and tumeric), this has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.

I love saffron, too. Then, you probably would like:

Risotto with saffron

and veal marsala

That's what we're having tonight.

shadowicewolf Proficient

No idea, maybe something with hamburger? Or maybe just cooking up another acorn squash.... or something.

notme Experienced

Namaste brand gluten free chocolate cake mix~the food of the Gods!!!! NOM NOM NOM NOM.....Best and only cake mix I will ever use. I've tried many many cake mixes that were horrible. I use to think Betty Crocker's gluten-free cake mix was good, until I tried Namaste!! I made my own gluten-free chocolate butter cream frosting. Both cake and frosting were gluten-free and dairy free.

where do you purchase such food of the gods?!! i, too, have only tried the betty crocker - and thought: surely i can find a recipe that won't cost $5 a box and make it myself... i am braver at mixing flour(s) now :)

Persei V. Enthusiast

Since I was starving, I made grilled chicken breast with saute

notme Experienced

i was thinking of trying butternut squash gnocchi (accidentally grew butternut squash lolz) as i have a ton of them (they grew in the compost bin hahahaa they survived the lawnmower :D)

here's a few nights dinners i made:

bratwurst reubens w/homemade sauerkraut (pot cheese & pickles) too hot to really cook that night :)

oooooh! oooooh! i accidentally made 'panko' breadcrumbs!!!! i usually dry out gluten-free bread ends in the oven - low temp - till its pretty well dried out and then i put it in the "bullet" <chopper thingy> well, this time i was impatient and only thawed the bread out - it was still pretty moist - put it in the chopper and it was wanting to stick together and clump so i shook it and i'll be darned if it didn't resemble panko. so, i spread it out on foil and baked it for about 5 min and they turned out GREAT!! that night we made: panko & herb crusted cod with butternut fritters and maple dijon mustard (with rice)

and all that talk of ragout...

venison ragout over spiral pasta w/steamed broccoli i'll be eating that again tonight yummmmmmz

chicken cheese empenadas (sp) w/refried beans & pico de gallo

chicken w/mushroom gravy, mashed taters, roasted brussels sprouts w/shallots & red wine vinegar

now i have a ton of sauerkraut left in the fridger :) i'm thinking pork & crockpot... i still have some pierogies in the freezer.... hmmmm....

catsmeow Contributor

I'm not making anything except another apple/huckleberry crisp. The one I made last night is already gone. My kids fought over it like wild animals....LOL

Last night I made sweet and sour pork with rice for dinner. My husband came home and said he didn't feel well and wanted comfort food. He wanted my fried chicken strips (dubbed crack chicken by everyone I know because it's so addictive and good), mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, and apple/huckleberry crisp. So, I made 2 meals last night and the family can eat leftovers!! I did make a second crisp though, it's in the oven.......

mushroom Proficient

Nothing - recycled stuffed chicken thighs from last night, with mushroom fried rice (also recycled) and something green. One must ALWAYS be green :D

sora Community Regular

Mac and cheese and broccoli.

IrishHeart Veteran

Three cheese pizza (tapioca flour crust) with green pepper, portabellas, shallots ---but only because the sun came out (thank the heavens!!! and hubs got to golf: whoohoo!)

Golf night = pizza.

That's just a "given" around these parts. :)

shadowicewolf Proficient

Nothing, however i am eating leftover hamburger and apples.

Tommorow is a soup day. I might make beef soup again.

Adalaide Mentor

My Venice Bakery crusts finally arrived!!! Okay okay, so I didn't actually order them until last weekend. They shipped Monday and arrived today so it wasn't that awful a wait but I thought I just may die wanting pizza.

So, we only got the sample pack of three 5 inch crusts to try them until we were sure we wanted to order more. For the first time in 10 months I had pizza that had crust with the an amazing pizza crust texture. The taste was also great. We simply made them into pepperoni pizzas since they were so tiny but we plan on ordering more right away.

mushroom Proficient

We are having a french leek pie in the new crust I bought from Whole Foods, with a green mixed salad, and baked apples stuffed with dates and brown sugar.