This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

notme Experienced

Arlene- I was actually trying to convert Addy's cheese bread to being dairy and egg free,

but thank you for the recipe!

oops!  sorry  :)  maybe i should pay attention 

(la la la la lalaalaaaa........................  )

tonight it's greek chicken

potatoes, feta, onions & radicchio in tinfoil

ON THE GRILL!  YAYYYYYY!!!!  :D 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Adalaide Mentor

I poked around enough to find some burgers in the freezer to make tonight. I must have made an impression at some point on my husband because he texted me from work and asked if I could make butter and garlic roasted potatoes tonight. I know they're just lowly potatoes, but he asked for a vegetable! I also found a really simple roasted bok choy recipe I think I'll try. And I still have a few shrooms in the fridge so I think I may fry a few up for my burger.

I do have to be careful about cabbage already because of my stupid tyramine thing, so I am wary. I didn't react to small amounts of cabbage last I had it, but I am wary anyway since it is still technically a cabbage.

I discovered (or rather re-discovered) last night that paper has a certain temperature at which it catches fire. This is all very easily remembered through the title of a book which I love, Fahrenheit 451. Unfortunately for me and my fogginess, I decided to broil my mango on parchment paper for easy cleanup. Derp. Lets just call that oops. Hahaha! After about 2 minutes I was like omg is my mango burning already?!?! Nope, just the paper 2 seconds from catching fire. Brilliant move.

IH, it sounds like you are in food paradise and not just regular paradise! You know, if we all ignore the whole trying to get out of a wetsuit part. None of us envy that. :P

I wish I could grill. Sadly all efforts at sharing a grill have been for naught. I will have to find a way to get my own grill. That sounds yummy though!

Gemini Experienced

This past week was a food festival. Still avoiding high histamine foods, except for that margarita I just downed, but managed to eat out at 3 highly recommended gluten-free places: Bonefish Grill in VA, FL and 2 places in the Keys. Marker 88 and Chef Michael's.

Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with mango salsa

Herbed jasmine rice, asparagus

(I had that twice, it's so good)

Lightly battered and sauteed Yellowfin Tuna (caught just hours before) with fruit and coconut salsa

Black beans and rice

Freshly- caught Hogfish with a nutty crust and tropical fruit salsa

Thai spiced green beans (K !!, they have them as "haricot verts" on the menu  :P )

Buckwheat pancakes and (I could not resist) thick slab BACON (1 piece) 

and a mimosa.... okay, this was really a brunch, but the chef was so sweet about making those pancakes, I had to tell you guys.

Lamb Shanks (the size of a dog's leg) done in red wine, & herbs and falling off the bone

Garlic smashed with roasted veggies 

2 creme brulees, a gluten-free key lime pie slice made by the famous Key Lime pie guy (Chef Kermit)  of Key West and a key lime Baked Alaska. Not my fav--not a meringue fan.

No dieting going on here, obviously,but I have walked a mile everyday and that  dolphin swim counts for some caloric burn.

Just squeezing into the wet suit (which I imagine feels like those Spanx things on steroids) used up some calories.

Holy mama--peeling it off was a whole 'nuther experience. :lol:

No more desserts for me. That was just a "special week".  

Went through the Everglades--beautiful and wild. 

Mindwarp--hope your son is a-okay, sweets!

I really started to drool bad over the Key Lime Baked Alaska.  I really like meringue. Never heard of it with key lime but that'll work. This was an "oinky" fest, Irish, to use another's words.  :lol:   Wish I could be there....we could have had an eating contest.

I'm off to have some gingerbread and whipped cream.  Not quite Baked Alaska but it'll do....... ;)

GottaSki Mentor

I'm off to have some gingerbread and whipped cream.  Not quite Baked Alaska but it'll do....... ;)

Hell yes....gingerbread tomorrow...men will think it is Christmas again!  Thanks for the idea :D

GottaSki Mentor

I've thought this three times...so I am now posting...does L2T have a locator beacon or should we send S&R? 

Adalaide Mentor

I've thought this three times...so I am now posting...does L2T have a locator beacon or should we send S&R? 

I've wondered about her too. I think maybe she hasn't had a chance to thaw out yet and is just a popsicle up there in the frozen tundra she calls home?

GottaSki Mentor

I've wondered about her too. I think maybe she hasn't had a chance to thaw out yet and is just a popsicle up there in the frozen tundra she calls home?

Hope so...

LT...phone home ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Didn't she say a while back that she'd be off-board for a while? Maybe I'm imagining things....

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Hi all

My son is much improved, back to school today. Those steroids do the job. Still a bit nervous though, as his symptoms are so sublte, goes a bit pale and doesn't join in quite as much. No mighty wheeze, no cough. Called the Asthma Uk helpline, where they have excellent nurses, and a bit reassured.

It was mother's day in the UK yesterday, and I was suitably spoiled, roast chicken lunch with 4 small roast potatoes, and, gasp, a few blueberries for dessert.

IH your food adventure sounds fantastic, I look forward to eating out again in a few months once I have things under control. All that fish sounds amazing. And the sea is sooooo good for the soul (I still can't believe I live next to it now :).

Fingers crossed here for a less eventful week.

Oh, we do have a little snow falling this morning.....

IrishHeart Veteran

I have a secret L2T Batman signal that I can light up. Instead of a giant bat, it's shaped like a chef's hat :lol:

I'll give her a shout. She usually house sits (but she is not in Croatia this month, I do not believe.)

I worry about her when she is gone for a few weeks because I know that means her pain level is up, :(  that brave girl.

Back to earth yesterday, so to speak. We had burgers and corn. I know I told you all this last year, but there is the most amazing fruit and veggie stand a few blocks down and a morning's walk to pick up fresh produce is the best way to start the day. The sun is just coming up over the water right now. 

If this place is so amazing, why don't we live here you ask....yeah, we wonder that same thing, too. We are thinking maybe it may be time for

a change, 

Mindwarp, I agree with you-- being near the sea has always been my source of comfort. I love this quote: 

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

In fact, for a while, it was on my sig line, Maybe I should put it back. 

:)

Good news,  gang! L2T is fine, she has just been busy playing with her new "boyfriend".......but I'll let her explain.

Edited by IrishHeart
love2travel Mentor

Here I am!  See my "Prodigal Daughter has Returned" post to see why I have been preoccupied!  A rescue PUPPY!  My routine has gone all to pieces as I have been bonding with our fluffy son.  Whenever I look at him my heart literally swells with joy and pride.  He just makes me smile!  :)   We named him Bingley which really fits as I LOVE English literature.  The name is from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.  Not my favourite book in the world but the name is unique just like our boy.  ^_^

Tonight we are having Jambalaya.  I made it yesterday so it is technically an encore meal but will do a lovely greens salad of some sort to go with it.  I used shrimp, chicken and andouille.  It is DELICIOUS. 

love2travel Mentor

Forgot to mention that it feels great to have been missed.  It gives me the warm fuzzies.  Now to catch up on all of you!  :P

Hmmm. Looks like that gluten-free soy sauce is a no. Not too bad, but not worth it.

Thinking something with turkey for dinner. Something plain :)

GottaSki Mentor

Good Morning All!

IrishHeart sent word via carrier pigeon that they are having major tech problems in Florida -- also mentioned I should send hugs from her to all of you until they can get something electronic up and running!

Have a great day :)

Adalaide Mentor

I inherited a new counter in the kitchen. Because it is below the dishes and such that aren't mine, and I am super paranoid, I felt like I needed covers for my appliances before they migrated over. I also wasn't about to spend $50+ on a toaster and mixer cover. Holy crap they're expensive! So, I made my own. This is the fruits of an afternoon of labor.

a84b5256-d731-49e7-a6cb-d4f51cb4182c_zps

Super adorable! I'm not sure my MIL was thrilled when I told her they would be giraffe print, but because they are tan and brown they won't show stains much and it seemed practical. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

We're doing encore pork loin for dinner tonight. I think I'll do some roasted asparagus for me and roasted taters for him. I'm beat from hours of sewing and have a thing to go to tonight still.

GottaSki Mentor

I inherited a new counter in the kitchen. Because it is below the dishes and such that aren't mine, and I am super paranoid, I felt like I needed covers for my appliances before they migrated over. I also wasn't about to spend $50+ on a toaster and mixer cover. Holy crap they're expensive! So, I made my own. This is the fruits of an afternoon of labor.

Super adorable! I'm not sure my MIL was thrilled when I told her they would be giraffe print, but because they are tan and brown they won't show stains much and it seemed practical. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

We're doing encore pork loin for dinner tonight. I think I'll do some roasted asparagus for me and roasted taters for him. I'm beat from hours of sewing and have a thing to go to tonight still.

I love them!!!!

They are fantastic Addy :)

Had chicken and rice, with zucchini and mushrooms.

Just spent an exciting evening building Ikea furniture. I'm on a sorting kick. Those years of brain fog did my organization and filing no favors, so I have a long way to catch up....

Do you take orders? Those are super cool!

GottaSki Mentor

Dinner tonight is simple pork chops and homemade applesauce....maybe a vegie too.

BUT...I bought a huge beef brisket and have it happily soaking in brine to become corned beef -- why is it called corned beef when there is no corn in the process?  It gets to bathe until Sunday AM - then transfer to the crockpot with Green's Double Dark and a few spices --- I will have corned beef this year without getting bloated....I will have corned beef this year without getting bloated!!!

Oh and I am making some corned beef jerky for the son to take on his backpacking trip to Havasu Falls -- going to try to make teriyaki chicken jerky too and dehydrating blueberries and granny smiths -- wow...saving a ton on buying traditional backpack fare :D

Adalaide Mentor

Do you take orders? Those are super cool!

Wish I could. After the afternoon spent sewing I realize that sewing is not a hobby to take lightly in my future. Really did me in!

That corned beef sounds good! I should have thought of getting one. I may take the easy way out and just pick one up at the store and throw it in the crock pot Sunday.

GottaSki Mentor

I usually opt for the easy ones...but last few years I couldn't eat the ones all ready to throw in the crock....if anyone is reading along -- I do not believe there was any gluten in the corned beefs I have purchased...I just reacted to some other item used to turn them into corned beef!

And I just read all the grocery store ads...I do miss thowing a few inexpensive corned beef roasts in the freeze during the super duper St. Patty's sales!

kareng Grand Master

Very cute!

Wish I could. After the afternoon spent sewing I realize that sewing is not a hobby to take lightly in my future. Really did me in!

That corned beef sounds good! I should have thought of getting one. I may take the easy way out and just pick one up at the store and throw it in the crock pot Sunday.

:(   *sniff* Ok......

Or I could you know, just make some myself..... :rolleyes:

Adalaide Mentor

:(   *sniff* Ok......

Or I could you know, just make some myself..... :rolleyes:

All I did was google how to make a KitchenAid mixer cover when I saw the price of the darn things. I had to borrow a sewing machine.

Poor man's baked potato (microwave) scrambled egg, avocado. Bright sunshine and sleet here today. This time last year it was warm enough to be on the beach. Spring now please :)