This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

love2travel Mentor

Some leftover Chinese take-away from yesterday: chop suey with beef and white rice. Very mysterious: everytime I can't cook there's fast food on the table. You'd almost think my BF doesn't like to cook :P

I'm quite happy with our local chinese restaurant: they know exactly what's gluten-free. When I asked about gluten-free dishes they gave me the menu and underlined everything I could eat. The waitress also said I couldn't have their curry soup, because it contained coconut. I was surprised and said that coconut is gluten-free. She then told me that their dried coconut has flour in it to prevent it from sticking. Now that's someone who's well-informed :D I've given them a very good recommendation in the Dutch gluten-free restaurant database.

How great to have a trustworthy place near you! We have some very good places, too, but they are all a three-hour drive away. Still worth it, though, for a treat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

love2travel Mentor

We are having warm, cozy comfort food tonight:

Pork Loin Braised in Milk

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Frizzled Shallots and Mustard Seeds

Steamed Broccoli

Chocolate Crepes with Bourbon Cream and Blueberries

Wenmin Enthusiast

Very simple tonight as I am by myself. Boudin on a piece of Udi Bread and hot cocoa. kind of warm (76 degrees) for this I know, but I still like it with my "breakfast supper."

Wenmin

love2travel Mentor

Very simple tonight as I am by myself. Boudin on a piece of Udi Bread and hot cocoa. kind of warm (76 degrees) for this I know, but I still like it with my "breakfast supper."

Wenmin

There definitely is nothing wrong with Breakfast Suppers!! :D

You are about 90 degrees warmer than us right now. But we are having an exceptionally mild winter - normally it would be about -32F but we are lucky.

mushroom Proficient

You are about 90 degrees warmer than us right now. But we are having an exceptionally mild winter - normally it would be about -32F but we are lucky.

Not a lot to pluck from the garden right now?? :rolleyes: Popsicles??

sa1937 Community Regular

Very simple for me tonight, too: Chips and dip and (at least) two glass of wine. :P:lol::D

GFreeMO Proficient

Hamburgers with purple onion and green bell pepper mixed in and oven baked fries with a little olive oil and chopped basil, Banana and chocolate sauce for dessert.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Not a lot to pluck from the garden right now?? :rolleyes: Popsicles??

Ummmm...not so much to pluck. Hey - besides popsicles I could drizzle some maple syrup over some snow! Man, I always seem to be thinking of food.

researchmomma Contributor

Very simple for me tonight, too: Chips and dip and (at least) two glass of wine. :P:lol::D

your my kind of girl!

Last night:

Bonesless prok chops in crockpot with gluten free green enchilada sauce and diced green chilies.

After several hours, shred meet and serve on warmed corn tortillas, salsa, cheddar cheese, sour cream, etc.

Serve with refried or black beans.

It's yummy!

Jestgar Rising Star

Last night - mattar paneer, safron rice, and great friends. Tonight-- yogurt? fried egg?

Skylark Collaborator

Starting in on the Hoppin' John a day early. I'll have a little with steamed broccoli and cauliflower tonight, traditional collards tomorrow.

burdee Enthusiast

PIZZA! With homemade crust from recipe I found in an allergy free baking book (gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, nuts free recipe). I put the (yeast) dough in 2 10x15inch jelly roll pans. After that rises, we'll top each pizza with our favorite toppings. Mine will include tomato paste (Muir Glen), shrimp, sliced zucchini, green pepper, mushrooms and yellow pear tomatoes (still ripening in my basement after they were picked from my garden last fall), and Daiya shredded mozzerella cheese. My husband will use the tomato paste, shrimp, cheese, pineapple and Applegate Farms turkey bacon. This is my first attempt at the pizza dough recipe from this book. So I'll post later about how that turned out. Oh, and we'll drink Martinelli's apple cranberry sparkling cider with dinner (neither of us consume alcohol).

sa1937 Community Regular

Pizza tonight for me, too! I use Jules' recipe for the crust.

Anxious to hear how yours turns out, burdee...

burdee Enthusiast

Pizza tonight for me, too! I use Jules' recipe for the crust.

Anxious to hear how yours turns out, burdee...

My husband loved the thin crust. I stretched the dough intended for a 13x18 pan into those 2 10x15 jelly roll pans. I should have calculated that before I stretched it so thin. LOL Oh well. Next time I use that recipe I'll make smaller pizzas with thicker crust. Nevertheless, I loved the taste of the crust and it was sturdy enough to hold all my toppings. Most of all I loved that thick layer of Daiya mozzarella cheese on top. Hurray for dairy/soy free cheese!!!!!

sa1937 Community Regular

Glad it turned out so well for you, burdee. What flours/starches are in the recipe? When I was first diagnosed, I avoided pizza as I was never able to find Daiya cheese around here. Luckily I am now able to use regular mozzarella without issue.

Last night I did make two smaller crusts and stuck one prebaked in the freezer when I want a quick pizza in a week or two.

cahill Collaborator

tonight is sauerkraut and roast pork (traditional new years day for me)

I am not sure how my tummy is going to like the sauerkraut but :P

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Black eyed peas and some collard greens. Southern tradition, done simple. I'm the only one that really likes them. Probably will finish up the olive cheese ball and gluten-free sausage balls from last night too!

IrishHeart Veteran

Encore (I do not say leftovers :lol: ) from last night's New Year's Eve dinner I made:

Garlic-studded filet mignon roast, mushroom/port wine sauce, potato gratin dauphinoise, caesar salad, champagne and flourless chocolate cake with a ridiculously rich ganache.

I am such a piggy. :lol:

Marilyn R Community Regular

Smoked St. Louis style ribs, black eyed peas and rice. I threw some roasted garlic, poblano and red peppers in with the black eyed peas along with cumin and mustard seed, tumeric and fresh thyme and they were the best! Happy New Year! :D

mushroom Proficient

"Middle Eastern" chicken crockpot, with dried fruits, ginger, chicken thighs, homemade chicken stock, to be served over rice with a little feta and chopped mint.

freeatlast Collaborator

IrishHeart, Mushroom, I want to eat at YOUR houses!

Last night I had a ham and swiss sandwich on Rudi's toasted multigrain bread with a little mayo. First time I have had a "real" sandwich in ages.

IrishHeart Veteran

IrishHeart, Mushroom, I want to eat at YOUR houses!

Last night I had a ham and swiss sandwich on Rudi's toasted multigrain bread with a little mayo. First time I have had a "real" sandwich in ages.

C'mon over! :)

Seriously, I don't want to give you the impression we eat like that every day, hon. :)

That was a New Year's Eve Special. :) For nearly 4 years I could not eat anything without getting ill or experiencing severe GI tract burning--even in my mouth. I have not been able to cook/bake like that for so long. No strength in my arms and legs and I lost 90 lbs. No ability to multi-task and have more than one burner on the stove going. It was crazy for a while there! And I need to get some muscle back, so I indulged--- with my doctor's blessing. In fact, I indulged Heavily. :lol: It was awesome!!!! :)

This holiday, I was determined to celebrate getting my life back.

Often, a ham & cheese sammy on homemade bread is lunch here, too.

Best wishes, IH

sa1937 Community Regular

I am such a piggy. :lol:

Yes, you are! :P But after being so terribly ill for so long, you deserve to pig out. Your dinner sounds magnificant!!!

I really don't want to come and live with you because you are farther north than I am. :lol: And I hate winter here!!!

freeatlast Collaborator

C'mon over! :)

Seriously, I don't want to give you the impression we eat like that every day, hon. :)

That was a New Year's Eve Special. :) For nearly 4 years I could not eat anything without getting ill or experiencing severe GI tract burning--even in my mouth. I have not been able to cook/bake like that for so long. No strength in my arms and legs and I lost 90 lbs. No ability to multi-task and have more than one burner on the stove going. It was crazy for a while there! And I need to get some muscle back, so I indulged--- with my doctor's blessing. In fact, I indulged Heavily. :lol: It was awesome!!!! :)

This holiday, I was determined to celebrate getting my life back.

Often, a ham & cheese sammy on homemade bread is lunch here, too.

Best wishes, IH

So happy for you!!!!!! :)

IrishHeart Veteran

So happy for you!!!!!! :)

thanks--and I LOVE the quote in your sig line. So true!!! (and I was a teacher and I am a gardener as well.)

Off topic, I know....okay back to the food discussion!!!!!

Tonight we are having grilled chicken Caesar salad.

No obnoxiously rich cake left--I gave it to the neighbors :lol: