This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

love2travel Mentor

WHEW!  I was nervous there for a minute.  Just thinking about a kabana boy clown gives me the shivers (and not in a good way).  tiritando.gif

This bugged me all last night. How the heck did I spell cabana incorrectly yesterday???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

notme Experienced

We've already plotted kidnapping of our cabana boys, why not add plotting murder on a public forum to our list of nefarious plans?

on payday   ;)

heeeeere, cabana boy......  (or the croatian version:  kabana boy <i like it, love2)

IrishHeart Veteran

This bugged me all last night. How the heck did I spell cabana incorrectly yesterday???

that Krazy sour Kandy affeKted your spelling sKills ??

kareng Grand Master

Kabana boy

sexy-guy-flirting-smiley-emoticon.gif

GottaSki Mentor

Hi to Sylvia -- those Lemonies are great and so easy....may have to add them into the graduation celebration this weekend.

However, today is Sis's Birthday so we have Paula Dean's Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Butter Creamcheese Frosting -- and I plan on having a tea party tomorrow morning with the grand girlie -- one of the two celebrations I will have a slice of this yummy CAKE!!!  Forgo wine and other HHs for a piece of cake -- hell ya :)

IH....send a few of those fresh strawberries on one of our supersonic carrier pigeons please --- doh -- I think I'm a bit loopy from playing with small children in the sunshine today.

Sis also likes Pork Chops -- so tonight Pork Chops and Applesauce -- possibly Mac and Cheese too -- I did make a salad she liked the other day so maybe salad instead of pasta -- more room for CAKE ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

aw, Ski...nothin' like a tea party with wee ones. enjoy! x

Adalaide Mentor

So I made my cupcakes today. From a migraine haze because... idk maybe I'm a masochist or something. Or maybe I just really wanted cupcakes. I overfilled my tins so they overflowed a little and dimpled in the middle. It made a dozen cupcakes and 24 minis. The minis came out perfect. They are really, really good. I didn't think before I started that I have no cream cheese in the house to make frosting with so they are getting regular buttercream. :( I'll get it right next time.

I'm just flopping burgers on the grill tonight. Me and my migraine are not doing any real cooking. I'm sure I'll manage some fries and maybe some green beans or something. But other than that meh. I'm hoping to have enough of a brain to care tomorrow.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I can only ice pack the back of neck, take mega-advil,  lie down and stay in a quiet dark room when I have a migraine. And cry.

because those things suck and of all the pain I have, I can take it like a warrior, but I cannot  take pain in the head!! That one just breaks me down...argh.... Hope you feel better soon xx

w8in4dave Community Regular

I have only had a few migraines and they are not fun!!! I do have a question, I know being Celiac does mean no beer unless special beer, but I understand wine or other alcohol is ok, I will have a beer once in a while "Miller Light" Guess thats out now!! So when I do decide to have a bit of something I don't want it to be strong or alot of calories , hard stuff I cannot drink. Wine maby but wine has alot of alcohol in it. Is there a wine with not so much alcohol in it? Or maby a wine cooler? Not sure if those are safe!! Any suggestions? Sometimes we go out with friends also and I get a couple beers. SO what can I drink now? Hmmmmm 

Sorry this isn't for dinner, unless I drink it for dinner!! Hahaha not likely tho .... 

For dinner I am going to make hubby some left over spaghetti :) Yes it will be glutenized!! He can eat the stuff!! I am still eating gluten till my next appt. not that much tho!! I am having a hard time eating gluten, just the thought ughhhhhh I don't want to!!!!! !!!! maby I will just drink a few beers!! Lol 

GottaSki Mentor

How about wine spritzer? Fortunately gluten-free beers are becoming popular and therefore more and better types are hitting the market -- when you are out ask your server....they aren't always listed on the menu!

All my other suggestions would involve more alcohol rather than less ;)

kareng Grand Master

Wine coolers are usually a malt ( barley) based beverage. A lot of places have hard ciders. I have never seen one with gluten and most even say gluten-free on them.

If you want a couple of drinks, you could order something like a shot of rum and a diet or regular coke with some lime. Pour half you rum in your first Coke and half in the second. I know some people pour white wine over ice to make it last longer.

I something in diet pop makes me sick ,I think it is Aspartame, Not sure!  So it cannot be diet soda. My husband likes his "Spiced Rum" Blek!! But maby a white wine over ice is a better idea ...

The place we go to is just a lil family run place , that we have gone to for years!! 

What is a wine spritzer? W8 I have google I can as him!

Funny when I go see my Dr. I tell him if you cannot give me answers, you know I can go home and ask Dr. Google!! He laughs at me!! But I told him don't laugh at me because I will go home and look it up!!

Wine spritzer :

Ingredients
4 ounces chilled white wine
4 ounces carbonated flavored water, chilled
Fruit garnish, your choice
Directions
Serve in a wine glass with fruit of the flavored water as garnish.

Hmmmm sounds pretty good!! I may have to try that!!

kareng Grand Master

I something in diet pop makes me sick ,I think it is Aspartame, Not sure!  So it cannot be diet soda. My husband likes his "Spiced Rum" Blek!! But maby a white wine over ice is a better idea ...

The place we go to is just a lil family run place , that we have gone to for years!! 

What is a wine spritzer? W8 I have google I can as him!

Funny when I go see my Dr. I tell him if you cannot give me answers, you know I can go home and ask Dr. Google!! He laughs at me!! But I told him don't laugh at me because I will go home and look it up!!

I have the same problem with aspartame, too. 

I though of another-  mimosa!

Wine spritzer :

Ingredients

4 ounces chilled white wine

4 ounces carbonated flavored water, chilled

Fruit garnish, your choice

Directions

Serve in a wine glass with fruit of the flavored water as garnish.

Hmmmm sounds pretty good!! I may have to try that!!

Mimosa? I have heard of them!! I might have to go ask Dr. Google :) 

Yummm 3/4 cup Champaign chilled 1/4 cup orange juice 

Wow I want to go buy me some Champaign now!! Thats almost healthy for you!! Hahaha I remember my mom Drinking Vodka and Orange juice!! B4.  I cannot do Vodka!! Thats for sure!! 

Adalaide Mentor

Mimosa? I have heard of them!! I might have to go ask Dr. Google :)

Yummm 3/4 cup Champaign chilled 1/4 cup orange juice 

Wow I want to go buy me some Champaign now!! Thats almost healthy for you!! Hahaha I remember my mom Drinking Vodka and Orange juice!! B4.  I cannot do Vodka!! Thats for sure!! 

I once spent a weekend away at a resort long ago when I still drank. We had to walk through the bar to get to the dining area for breakfast which I'm sure was no accident. I saw as we walked by that the special for the day was screwdrivers, vodka and orange juice, so I thought what the hell I'll have one! I was on vacation and orange juice is a breakfast drink. That makes screwdrivers a breakfast drink right?

GottaSki Mentor

That makes screwdrivers a breakfast drink right?

Indeed -- Mimosas Screwdrivers and Bloody Marys are all breakfast beverages :)

So last few nights have been a bit wonky.....so I'll just start with tonight...

Ribs!!!  with a bit of bbq chicken for the non-pork eaters.

Pineapple

Broccoli

and Lemonies for dessert :)

Adalaide Mentor

Since we have a lot of roasts in our freezer I have another out and am hoping it is ready to cook for tonight. We did baked lemon pepper chicken with mashed taters and gravy and garlic green beans last night. And of course some red velvet cupcakes for dessert. :D At any rate, roast or no roast, I know whats for dessert again!

notme Experienced

what's for dinner????

ALCOHOL????  

i leave you people alone for ONE DAY and y'all fall off the edge  :lol: wine spritzer, huh?  maybe i'll try that....

anyways, yesterday i took the kids to the library for their summer reading thingy  - they had a guy playing guitar and singing the silliest songs - then they all danced the gangdam style dance - hilarious.  and freeeeeeeee!!!  then i had a billymergency (no e.r. involved this time unless you count the mechanic's shop) had to drive to knox vegas to pick him up (i tell him:  i'm no litterbug; i always pick up my trash LOL love my trashy man)  then on to domino's to pick up pizza for vacation bible school - we had 26 kids!!  plus helpers, i bet we had 50-60 people there - good thing i over-estimated (optimistically estimated :))  came home and fried up swordfish cadiz (marinated, then cornstarched and fried)  still would like to figure out a good dipping sauce for those.. working on it.....

tonight, i'm making the crumb-crushers hotdogs and chips.  maybe a salad.  i think chef's salad for me :)

GottaSki Mentor

Love the library summer reading programs...took the grands by a beautiful library north county coastal I had never been too on Tuesday -- had a blast -- but did notice that the Summer Reading Program here now only requires 5 books be read before a treat is given -- when the boys were doing it just a decade ago they needed to read TEN books -- and the treats were bookmarks, pencils, fun pencil toppers and stickers....now the treats are candy????  Must run up to my neighborhood library and see if these crappy treats are city wide!!!!  Oh boy...I didn't start off grumpy -- better go float for a bit...been running around taking care of youngest's Senior Class Brunch -- will float and then get back to whatever else isn't done ;)

Adalaide Mentor

I don't remember any summer reading programs, but then again I didn't spend a lot of time hanging out in town in the summer either. We were farmers and didn't have time for that sort of nonsense. I did read though, a lot. Basically if I had free time you could either catch me at my Grammy's house at the piano or with a book in my hands. The only reading program I remember at all as a kid was the one we did in school which was Book It, the PIzza Hut one. I got way more pizza than my brother.  :D As a teen I read several novels a month, Shakespeare for fun, Moby Dick on purpose (which I regret if I'm going to be completely honest) and preferred the library over any other place to hang out. By then I lived in town but didn't participate in the teen summer reading programs because I thought a lot of the books they were suggesting were kinda stupid. 

I still read today. I will literally not leave my house without a book. What if my Jeep breaks down and I have to wait for a tow or something? I'd hate to have that happen and not have a book, it would be beyond tragic. It probably drives my husband mad. I have an ereader that I use for classic lit that I can get for free, I don't see the point in paying for a hard copy of a free book. But mostly I buy books by my favorite authors and read them until they are beyond being readable any more. I have a favorite trilogy I read at least once a year that I'm on again now and it makes my husband crazy that there are parts where I still sob like I've just lost my best friend. I've already read the books at least ten times, but I keep giving them away and having to buy new ones.  :lol: I think next on my list is Crime and Punishment, which is my favorite classic novel ever. Some people think I'm nuts but I find the tale to be absolutely riveting. (I'd also need a gun to my head to read Jane Austin. *shrug*)

notme Experienced

Love the library summer reading programs...took the grands by a beautiful library north county coastal I had never been too on Tuesday -- had a blast -- but did notice that the Summer Reading Program here now only requires 5 books be read before a treat is given -- when the boys were doing it just a decade ago they needed to read TEN books -- and the treats were bookmarks, pencils, fun pencil toppers and stickers....now the treats are candy????  Must run up to my neighborhood library and see if these crappy treats are city wide!!!!  Oh boy...I didn't start off grumpy -- better go float for a bit...been running around taking care of youngest's Senior Class Brunch -- will float and then get back to whatever else isn't done ;)

yah, my grandson got a toy car and he was a 'nudge' - wouldn't sit by the other kids, wouldn't participate, wouldn't dance - at then end of it they had a drawing and he happened to win.  he didn't do jack to earn it and now when he goes back he's gonna be mad when he doesn't win every time....   yay.....  

it is a 'carnegie' library - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_library

addie, you sound just like my sister.  she now has a kindle and i make fun of her when the battery goes dead - she loves it so much i told her to marry it.  she travels 750 miles to my house to read on my couch lolz - she's a mess :)

Adalaide Mentor

yah, my grandson got a toy car and he was a 'nudge' - wouldn't sit by the other kids, wouldn't participate, wouldn't dance - at then end of it they had a drawing and he happened to win.  he didn't do jack to earn it and now when he goes back he's gonna be mad when he doesn't win every time....   yay.....  

it is a 'carnegie' library - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_library

addie, you sound just like my sister.  she now has a kindle and i make fun of her when the battery goes dead - she loves it so much i told her to marry it.  she travels 750 miles to my house to read on my couch lolz - she's a mess :)

Hahaha we could be best friends! You know, if we could get our noses out of books long enough to have a conversation. I took a bus trip to PA like 4 or 5 years ago and took like 3 or 4 novels with me. I thought it would be fine, we left on a Wed morning and were supposed to get there Sat afternoon. Turns out we got there late on Fri night and I was long since out of books! I can't keep my ereader charged at all, they need to sell those things with an alternate battery for like $100 more. People would pay good money for that. 

And he'll get over not getting something next time. Not getting anything for not participating will be good for him, maybe he'll be encouraged to care the next time. I was always "harsh" like that to my kids. The way some people pamper and coddle kids drives me up a wall. My brother didn't read a lot, so he didn't get rewarded and he turned out just fine. 

notme Experienced

I was always "harsh" like that to my kids. 

"who's the meanest mother????"

"YOU ARE"

"that's right.  don't you forget it."

i still get mothers day cards addressed to 'the meanest mother in the whole world.'     and they all turned out good.  (OR ELSE!)   :ph34r:   i used to set them up to teach them lessons.  ie:  my youngest had 'sticky fingers' for a minute - until she swiped her own zoo trip $ and secretly spent it on ice cream.  so, she stayed home from the zoo and never swiped anything ever again.  "harsh"   ;)   

Adalaide Mentor

Mothers are such evil creatures! Devil_emoticon.gif

I just made a meatloaf and baked potato tonight. Followed with some yogurt. Too meh to care today.