This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

GottaSki Mentor

So I tried to postpone St. Patty's Dinner and I just couldn't do it....so there is a grocery store corned beef brisket in the crock while we wait for the one I brine myself :)

Also, went to the beer store and picked up two yummy gluten-free beer options for the hubs and eldest son.

Dinner tonight will be Corned Beef and Cabbage -- chicken for me ;) -- with more cake for dessert!

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Fritz-in-pa Newbie

Ok...  I am new here... my name is Scott.  not really sure how to start here but i could not find a welcome or intro post.. so I will just throw myself to the wolves here.. if anyone can direct me to a more appropriate intro thread, I would be greatful...

Anyway... I am not celiac.. I am intolerant.  We can get into that another time.  lol.... 

I was googling recipes and that is how I found this place...  So in the spirit of food.. this was my dinner tonight... sorry so blurry...

turkey croquettes on the flat with a mushroom & green onion gravy.... string beans sauteed with almonds and bacon... and roasted cauliflower tossed with home made bread crumbs, seasoning and goat cheddar....

2014031795202825.webp

I am gluten soy and corn free.... I still eat dairy but use good alternates whenever possible... 

I am a cooking fool... never expected it !!!

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome Scott!

All cooking fools are most welcome here -- no wolves here - although they are one of my favorite animals ;)

What we are cooking is the basis so there are lots of wonderful ideas for gluten-free and other intolerance cooking.

We also like to have fun and sometimes simply act like we are sitting around in the kitchen while one of us is cooking and chat.  We have some true gourmets along with every level of skill in the kitchen - like I said - everyone is welcome.

Take a read through the history and come back as much (or little) as you like.

Oh...pictures are great -- and even tho I added two recently -- they are not needed.

Adalaide Mentor

Someone from back home! Can't say I'm missing PA after the winter you've had. :P And we'll all welcome everyone, especially a man who can cook. She may have lied, there may be wolves here. :lol:

shadowicewolf Proficient

Welcome Scott!

All cooking fools are most welcome here -- no wolves here - although they are one of my favorite animals ;)

What we are cooking is the basis so there are lots of wonderful ideas for gluten-free and other intolerance cooking.

We also like to have fun and sometimes simply act like we are sitting around in the kitchen while one of us is cooking and chat.  We have some true gourmets along with every level of skill in the kitchen - like I said - everyone is welcome.

Take a read through the history and come back as much (or little) as you like.

Oh...pictures are great -- and even tho I added two recently -- they are not needed.

Someone from back home! Can't say I'm missing PA after the winter you've had. :P And we'll all welcome everyone, especially a man who can cook. She may have lied, there may be wolves here. :lol:

:lol:

That looks really good :)

LauraTX Rising Star

Welcome, Scott!  Will you please come cook for me?  LOL... that looks great!  Feel free to dive right in, I really like this rolling thread because it gives me meal inspirations.  If you ever want a certain recipe for something feel free to ask, there are a good deal of people in the same boat as you with the multiple intolerances.

Fritz-in-pa Newbie

Hhhmm! Thanks for the welcome. 

I am on  a limited post count because of being new, so I will try to make them count... lol...  First of all I am still trying to get a grip here, I will slowly figure it out.  But if i am posting in the wrong section or doing anything else backwards please let me know.  I was only ever on one other forum, and that was for quitting smoking, so I am not really that good at this kind of stuff.

About me...   I am gluten intolerant ( I was on two meds for almost 2 years before figuring it out that it was gluten ) I am new at this too because I only found out last December.  I choose to be soy and corn free, My friend is gluten free but also has a thyroid thing going on and is unable to eat any soy products, so I follow her lead on this because easier for us to be on the same diet restrictions.  There was also an article somewhere that talked about how people with hiatal  hernia's felt better on a gluten and soy free diet. My mother has a hiatal hernia so she has joined our diet too.  As far as the corn free goes, it is for obvious reasons and we choose to exclude it. 

I am not going to lie,,, It was not easy converting the kitchen to this new program.  In 3 months I have come pretty far with all of this, what a learning experience.  I actually started messing with the gluten free before I figured out I was intolerant, I was trying to come up with a crab cake that my friend could eat... It was going to be a Christmas surprise... lol...It took me until super bowl.  :wacko:   So now I am experimenting in the kitchen pretty much non stop and have come up with some pretty good ideas trying to get a menu that does not get boring and is not always so time consuming to make. Problem is that I dont measure for the most part, so I am still working on getting my recipes down on paper. Right now all I have a whole bunch of scribbled notes and am going to try to get them organized. :rolleyes:  I am not shy about cooking, but just for the record.... 2 months ago I did not know what a pastry cutter was... I had to google it.

I am new to this world of gluten,gmo, reading ingredients and I will read and learn much in the months to come. But right now I need to eat so my spare time focus is on fixing better meals so you are going to see mostly on the food threads for now.... I will gravitate into the other sections of this forum once my belly is full...

So, back to this thread.... What is for dinner tonight???? To be honest I have no clue... but this was lunch.....

20140225_140505.webp

I found a tortilla or a wrap that I can actually eat. So I got a package of them to try.... Instantly out of the package I knew it was not going to work for my favorite chicken salad lettuce and guacamole roll up. The texture was just wrong and it was kind of card board'ish ... So I scrambled up some turkey burger and onions and other vegetables and put it in one of these tortilla wraps with some goat mozzarella cheese and baked it in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  On the plate I topped it with a layer of guacalmole, then lettuce, some sour cream ( light ) and some extra diced tomatoes.  I made some sweet potato fries and used some of the ketchup I made with them.  

I thought it was gonna end up looking better than it would taste, but I got to say that it was pretty good!
 When you are on this kind of diet, well.. you got to be not so critical sometimes, lol! :)

BTW...  I have been sharing pics of dinners with different people... so I will post more pics later

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Hhhmm! Thanks for the welcome. 

I am on  a limited post count because of being new, so I will try to make them count... lol...  First of all I am still trying to get a grip here, I will slowly figure it out.  But if i am posting in the wrong section or doing anything else backwards please let me know.  I was only ever on one other forum, and that was for quitting smoking, so I am not really that good at this kind of stuff.

About me...   I am gluten intolerant ( I was on two meds for almost 2 years before figuring it out that it was gluten ) I am new at this too because I only found out last December.  I choose to be soy and corn free, My friend is gluten free but also has a thyroid thing going on and is unable to eat any soy products, so I follow her lead on this because easier for us to be on the same diet restrictions.  There was also an article somewhere that talked about how people with hiatal  hernia's felt better on a gluten and soy free diet. My mother has a hiatal hernia so she has joined our diet too.  As far as the corn free goes, it is for obvious reasons and we choose to exclude it. 

I am not going to lie,,, It was not easy converting the kitchen to this new program.  In 3 months I have come pretty far with all of this, what a learning experience.  I actually started messing with the gluten free before I figured out I was intolerant, I was trying to come up with a crab cake that my friend could eat... It was going to be a Christmas surprise... lol...It took me until super bowl.  :wacko:   So now I am experimenting in the kitchen pretty much non stop and have come up with some pretty good ideas trying to get a menu that does not get boring and is not always so time consuming to make. Problem is that I dont measure for the most part, so I am still working on getting my recipes down on paper. Right now all I have a whole bunch of scribbled notes and am going to try to get them organized. :rolleyes:  I am not shy about cooking, but just for the record.... 2 months ago I did not know what a pastry cutter was... I had to google it.

I am new to this world of gluten,gmo, reading ingredients and I will read and learn much in the months to come. But right now I need to eat so my spare time focus is on fixing better meals so you are going to see mostly on the food threads for now.... I will gravitate into the other sections of this forum once my belly is full...

So, back to this thread.... What is for dinner tonight???? To be honest I have no clue... but this was lunch.....

20140225_140505.webp

I found a tortilla or a wrap that I can actually eat. So I got a package of them to try.... Instantly out of the package I knew it was not going to work for my favorite chicken salad lettuce and guacamole roll up. The texture was just wrong and it was kind of card board'ish ... So I scrambled up some turkey burger and onions and other vegetables and put it in one of these tortilla wraps with some goat mozzarella cheese and baked it in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  On the plate I topped it with a layer of guacalmole, then lettuce, some sour cream ( light ) and some extra diced tomatoes.  I made some sweet potato fries and used some of the ketchup I made with them.  

I thought it was gonna end up looking better than it would taste, but I got to say that it was pretty good!
 When you are on this kind of diet, well.. you got to be not so critical sometimes, lol! :)

BTW...  I have been sharing pics of dinners with different people... so I will post more pics later

Yum....and you'll fit right in here...glad to have you :)

Dinner is shrimp scampi here...with pasta for the men, zu-noodles for me.

(Note for Scott..I call my hubs and young adult sons..men... to keep it simple ...husband is gluten-free at home to support me and the boys - one of which is diagnosed celiac, the other remains non-celiac gluten intolerant....hubs also loves to cook and is the only person other than myself that can safely cook for me until I get a few more foods back)

love2travel Mentor

Sherry, tomato, smoked paprika, et. al. braised chicken thighs

Roasted herbed cauliflower and garlic with shaved Parmesan

Sautéed cabbage with bacon and apple cider

Coconut and almond birthday cake drizzled with a light maple glaze

BlessedMommy Rising Star

We're doing an easy dinner tonight, lentil & quinoa soup.

notme Experienced

leftover gumbo..........  i did make potato chip cookies for dessert, though.  the jury's out about them.  maybe i will dip them in chocolate - because that fixes everything........  (plus, i got the enjoy life soy free chocolate chips.  if i hate them, my neighbor can have her goofy magazine back  - potato chip cookies?  that's just crazy........... <_<

welcome, scott - we also have a what's for breakfast, what's for lunch, and what's for dessert thread(s) - what brand of wrap did you get?  the first brand i bought was straight out of the cardboard factory.  i think it was made of 'teff' <just figured that's what they made 'teflon' out of hahahahaaaa :P   the rudi's wraps/flour tortillas are pretty good.  they have spinach ones, too, but i've not tried them yet.

LauraTX Rising Star

Today as a meal for myself I sauteed some sweet potatoes and kale with a small shallot, and added some leftover grilled chicken.  It was really really good, sweet potatoes and kale go well together.  Seasoned with garlic, salt, and pepper.

For dinner I am going to make a grilled pork tenderloin, serve with some green beans and Idahoan steakhouse bacon and ranch potatoes (http://idahoan.com/products/steakhouse-bacon-and-ranch/).  Au gratin potatoes with ranch and bacon flavor.... one of the few things I can make from a box.  Yes please!  I will warn you they are dangerously good, I mix the bacon in at the start instead of putting on top.  Usually I don't like potatoes from a box, but home made potatoes au gratin is impossible to make without 40 grams of fat per serving, so one of the few times I go with the box.

Adalaide Mentor

I don't really have any craps to give about dinner. I need to have my CRPS symptoms as bad as they can get on Thursday for a dx confirmation at the pain clinic so I'm 100% off my histamine diet which is fun and awful at the same time. And last night we put my husband's cat to sleep. I'm not a cat person or anything, but he was still family. My husband is devastated and my heart breaks for him. I thought I would cook fun things this week before my appointment that I can rarely (if ever) enjoy. Instead I just grabbed a jar of off the shelf spaghetti sauce loaded with aged cheeses because we're just not into cooking or food right now. :(

GottaSki Mentor

Oh I'm sorry Addie...my hubs wasn't a cat person...but my Shelby changed his mind...her sudden loss continues to be tough on me and the boys...and even dear hubby whom she converted.  Give your man a hug from us...so very hard to lose one of our furry family members.

And you feeling like crap makes it harder...but do enjoy the cheese...not really clear what tests you are doing...kinda tuned out when I read you could eat any histamines you want for several days ;)  if you are taking orders...i'll take all bacon and ham - topped with three types of cheese please!

edited to add...with thick slices of fresh tomato piled on the whole deal....oh wait i almost forgot AVOCADO.....how the hell did i forget avocado?

edited to add, again...I often have had brief thought that there are things I miss far more than gluten....I am sure of it now...Avocado, Bacon and a perfect Tomato take the lead followed by cheese and chocolate...thankfully I tolerate red wine or that would likely take the lead.

so i am not a very nice person after all...my dreaming of food completely shadowed you feeling poorly...sorry about that...i promise i'll be thinking about you as soon as i clear my brain from the visions of food that took over.

Edited by GottaSki
GottaSki Mentor

Ok...that fit took me by surprise...over it now.

...don't overdo those histamines too much as it could cause allergic type reaction.  Rest up, take care of the man and let us know how it goes on Thursday :)

Adalaide Mentor

I just need to have obvious symptoms for my appointment. So I had to make it in the afternoon when my symptoms are worst. And going low histamine very much helped with my swelling and mostly cleared it up. I just need to have "enough" symptoms the doctor can see or whatever to confirm diagnosis. It's rough, but I'm managing. I'm enjoying things I usually can't. I can get uncured bacon or sausage at the store next to my house that they make there and is fresh and safe. So I'm just going all out on other crap. I'd so kill for an avocado! But... stupid oral allergy crap and I'm too scared to try again. <_<

GottaSki Mentor

Yep...avocado is probably my number one.  My family and friends miss it too because I always made guacamole for every celebration and more often during the season...used to even tote avocados back east to make it for my NY cousins ;)

Adalaide Mentor

Oh, and I have benadryl handy and my phone within arms reach 100% of the time. And my husband will be home with me until my appointment now. So I'm not terribly worried.

We all have fits. It happens. It helps to get it out so we don't stay bottled up and explode.

Fritz-in-pa Newbie

Oh, and I have benadryl handy and my phone within arms reach 100% of the time. And my husband will be home with me until my appointment now. So I'm not terribly worried.

We all have fits. It happens. It helps to get it out so we don't stay bottled up and explode.

Sorry to hear this, hope it works out the way you need it to... sounds a little scary to me. I still keep some benadryl in the glove compartments, my gym bag, the store, it is like my security blanket.

Avocado would be on the top of my list too, if I could not have them !!  

IrishHeart Veteran

Addy, Sorry about the kitty. :(  Bella kitty and I send big hugs to you and D. It's never easy when this happens. sigh

Last night's dinner was the

"Well,your company has left, but as usual, you have a lot of food still in the fridge so you better eat it" extravaganza.

:D

Turned all the stuff in the deli and veggie drawer into an antipasta and made a beans and greens soup on the side. 

Tonight is looking like spaghetti and meatballs.....yummy.gif

Okay, a funny story to cheer up Addy...I used to work in a cute little bar/restaurant near Bahston Gahden when I was

in grad school. I did it all, cook, tend bar, serve food, make up menus, vacuum...lol There were only 4 of us working there: 3 guys and me. There was a Wed. Special of spaghetti and meatballs (because Wed. is Prince spaghetti day). Well, a woman

came in and asked for just pasta because she was a vegetarian. That was "unheard of" back then and I was astonished that she would not eat them, but said "okee dokee! and turned to Donald the cook and did what I always did..cheerfully and 

loudly announced the order:

"ONE SPAG..HOLD THE BALLS!!"

Don't have to tell you what those 3 wise acres did, now do I? 

cahill Collaborator

Last night was Root vegetable hash with corned beef. After reading the MCAS thread and having corned beef this week I am wondering if histamines are an issue for me

Welcome Scott,, I am also in PA ( northwestern PA actually ,, yeap we had a crappy winter :P )

IrishHeart Veteran

Last night was Root vegetable hash with corned beef. After reading the MCAS thread and having corned beef this week I am wondering if histamines are an issue for me

Welcome Scott,, I am also in PA ( northwestern PA actually ,, yeap we had a crappy winter :P )

Chill, if this encourages you in anyway, I have been low histamine for over a year and half and I can announce with pride that I ate msg-free corned beef for 2 days and....nothing happened. I also had lasagne, red wine, some applegate farms salami and hard cheese this week and .....still, no symptoms....!!

so, if you remove the high histamine foods, faithfully take probiotics and quercetin,  in time, you  may also see this improvement. My GI doc was right....time, healing,strict adherence...works wonders. I know the level I can work with now before I get a resurgence

of symptoms. It's amazing what a difference  I see from just last year. 

* please note: this ONLY applies to the histamine intolerance aspect and its varied symptoms as I do not suffer from anaphylaxis as Lisa does. She has to take extra precautions.

...and now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.... :) 

cahill Collaborator

Chill, if this encourages you in anyway, I have been low histamine for over a year and half and I can announce with pride that I ate msg-free corned beef for 2 days and....nothing happened. I also had lasagne, red wine, some applegate farms salami and hard cheese this week and .....still, no symptoms....!!

so, if you remove the high histamine foods, faithfully take probiotics and quercetin,  in time, you  may also see this improvement. My GI doc was right....time, healing,strict adherence...works wonders. I know the level I can work with now before I get a resurgence

of symptoms. It's amazing what a difference  I see from just last year. 

* please note: this ONLY applies to the histamine intolerance aspect and its varied symptoms as I do not suffer from anaphylaxis as Lisa does. She has to take extra precautions.

...and now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.... :) 

thanks Irish :wub:

I have a few symptoms remaining that I had not ( until now) been able to identify their source.

a histamine intolerance may explain  my  remaining  symptoms  .

Adalaide Mentor

The histamine thing is... annoying but it gets better. I was able to enjoy a wide range of foods, in moderation, without issue. I know I'll be starting from scratch again but it'll be worth it. I have a few actual allergic reaction involving rashes, hives and "minor" breathing problems related to heat so I would never play this dangerous game in the summer. Thankfully, the weather is divine and we're having an unusual thing happen here in Utah. It's spring. That probably sounds stupid, but we don't normally have spring here. (or fall) We have summer, and winter. Instead it's been in the 40s or 50s for weeks! I forgot how much I missed it, it always was my favorite season. :D

I'm sure working with those 3 guys was hilarious. I've been in plenty of situations where I was the lone female employee. You learn pretty quickly to be one of the guys without being one of the guys, it's weird. And so much fun. I have no idea what dinner will be tonight, but I'm sure it'll be delicious, whatever it is.

moosemalibu Collaborator

I made Portuguese Green Soup from the website here and it was so good. I had leftovers for dinner last night. Still tastes just as good reheated! :)