This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Poppi Enthusiast

Tonight will be BBQ chicken and ribs, baked potatoes, rice, corn and then if the rain stops we will go roast marshmallows on the fire pit I got hubby for Father's Day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Marilyn R Community Regular

My husband tells me almost daily how grateful he is! But I love to cook and bake so much that it is a pleasure. If I open a restaurant you will be the first to be invited! :lol: Thanks for the kind words.

I'm glad that he pays his proper respects!

:D

love2travel Mentor

Love, pulled pork only takes 30 minutes in a pressure cooker! (But you brown the pork and onions, carrots, etc first.) I used a N. Carolina BBQ sauce found online that was just apple cider vinegar, dried pepper, brown sugar, red pepper, garlic and knowing me I added onion. Made that the night before, and stuck it out on the porch. I added left over pinapple juice too.

I think the BBQ sauce will be good on any meats as a marinade, and perhaps as a good insect repellant. (Hope so, made 1/2 a gallon of it.)

Last night I made pressure cooked beef shank Osco Busco.

I, too, prefer the N. Carolinian sauce for pulled pork. Last time I made pulled pork with pureed mango and it was amazing! I just made a big batch of Kansas City stype BBQ sauce today. I know that so many states in the US are serious about their grilling! We are in Canada, too, but not to that extent. Too bad!

Man, I love Osso Bucco! Have you done it with lamb? Gorgeous. Do you usually make gremolata to go with it? I love it but my husband prefers osso bucco without.

mushroom Proficient

Chicken pasta salad with something???

love2travel Mentor

I'm glad that he pays his proper respects!

:D

He'd better or he'd be in serious trouble! :lol:

sa1937 Community Regular

I made pizza again using Jules Shepard's recipe and doctored it up a bit more with additional Italian herbs and crushed red pepper. Added saut

love2travel Mentor

I made pizza again using Jules Shepard's recipe and doctored it up a bit more with additional Italian herbs and crushed red pepper. Added saut

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Awesome! You sure love your pizza and I don't blame you one little bit. It is on our agenda for this week, too. I think this time I will make an interesting topping combination using figs, blue cheese, caramelized onion and arugula.

Yes, considering I pretty much avoided it and cheese for almost a year (I'm not counting the time I bought the exorbitantly over-priced Amy's cheese pizza that was so dreadful). I think it's been at least two or three weeks since I made it.

Your pizza sounds soooo gourmet! Think I'll stop by for a piece when you make it. :lol: Actually, can I just come and live with you? ;)

sb2178 Enthusiast

Brown rice salad made with:

brown rice

black olives

garlic scapes

cabbage

baby collard greens

peas

mint

pressed tofu

olive oil

chevre

balsamic and white wine vinegar

Weird combo of cleaning out the fridge (tofu, chevre, cabbage, olives) and today's garden haul (peas, collards, scapes, and mint). Quite edible, though. Would leave the chevre out and eat it off a spoon the next time, though.

cahill Collaborator

Roasted pork with garlic wrapped in a warm corn tortilla with a BIG dollop of sour cream. Fresh strawberries for dessert :D

love2travel Mentor

Yes, considering I pretty much avoided it and cheese for almost a year (I'm not counting the time I bought the exorbitantly over-priced Amy's cheese pizza that was so dreadful). I think it's been at least two or three weeks since I made it.

Your pizza sounds soooo gourmet! Think I'll stop by for a piece when you make it. :lol: Actually, can I just come and live with you? ;)

Is this recipe your favourite crust recipe thus far? So glad you can have cheese. I went lactose free for a few months and am stilling drinking lactose-free milk and eating lactose-free yogurt but am eating lots of cheeses (especially asiago, chevre, Parmesan, pecorino...). I am going to try a new pizza crust recipe from the Culinary Institute of America gluten-free baking book and see how that one is. Their recipes are very food. And I neglected to say prosciutto on the pizza with the figs and such.

Sure - you can move in if you don't mind our winters! Maybe you can even shovel the driveway/sidewalk for us in exchange for food? :lol::lol::lol:

sa1937 Community Regular

Is this recipe your favourite crust recipe thus far? So glad you can have cheese. I went lactose free for a few months and am stilling drinking lactose-free milk and eating lactose-free yogurt but am eating lots of cheeses (especially asiago, chevre, Parmesan, pecorino...). I am going to try a new pizza crust recipe from the Culinary Institute of America gluten-free baking book and see how that one is. Their recipes are very food. And I neglected to say prosciutto on the pizza with the figs and such.

Sure - you can move in if you don't mind our winters! Maybe you can even shovel the driveway/sidewalk for us in exchange for food? :lol::lol::lol:

Shovel? :blink: In exchange for food? :unsure: Darn, I never thought of your terrible winters :ph34r: ...I only thought about gourmet food!!! :D I don't do winter, even here...merely put up with it while waiting for spring. :lol:

Yes, so far this is my favorite crust. And I recently bought 3 five-lb. bags of her flour. :P The only other pizza crust I've tried is from Annalise Roberts' cookbook. That one's actually pretty good, too, but I think I prefer Jules'. I guess I bought a pack of Glutino crusts ages ago but what's pizza if you're trying to avoid cheese. I'm still using Lactaid milk, too, as I don't want to push it.

You'll have to let us know how your new pizza crust is...always, always looking for new recipes, especially for bread-type baked goods. Somehow I always feel it's such a challenge. And it usually is!

lizard00 Enthusiast

We had rosemary garlic (with lemon slice on top) roasted mutton shank, lobster tail, fresh garden peas sauteed with mushroom and garlic and little white wine, mashed red potatoes.

Yes it sounds ridiculous... but it was GOOD!!! :D :D :D :D

lizard00 Enthusiast

Sylvia: Have you tried Carol Fenster's pizza crust recipe? It's our favorite. I've given it to kids, adults, anyone. No one knows the difference. (And you don't have to buy Jules' special flour :ph34r: )

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia: Have you tried Carol Fenster's pizza crust recipe? It's our favorite. I've given it to kids, adults, anyone. No one knows the difference. (And you don't have to buy Jules' special flour :ph34r: )

I haven't tried that one...don't have any of Carol Fenster's cookbooks. Is the recipe online?

Flour? I've got flour! :lol: :lol: :lol: Jules had a Memorial Day special...buy two bags, get one free. First time I've bought anyone's flour. Otherwise I'd mix my own "Nearly Normal Flour", which I figure hers is based on.

cahill Collaborator

speaking of pizza :) does anyone have a really good white pizza recipe??

I remember years ago when I lived in Philly a pizza shop there serving the BEST white pizza ever. The sauce was like a garlicky creamy white sauce.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Since my kids left for camp today, I'm lazy with my cooking. I roasted some chicken breasts with basil, lemon and lime. Washed a lot of fruit......made some salad. Do you make anything that is grain free, soy free and corn free that is good?! I'm running out of ideas....

Judy3 Contributor

Sirloin steak, baked potato and a huge salad!!! Yum

domesticactivist Collaborator

My sweetie made roast duck, salad, and honey glazed carrots with mint. She also made kale chips, but those are for the kids to take to their day camp tomorrow, not for me!

Judy3 Contributor

My husband tells me almost daily how grateful he is! But I love to cook and bake so much that it is a pleasure. If I open a restaurant you will be the first to be invited! :lol: Thanks for the kind words.

Don't know where you are located but I have a business plan written for a gluten free restaurant... :) In California of course when I get to move there. Wanna be partners? LOL :D

domesticactivist Collaborator

Since my kids left for camp today, I'm lazy with my cooking. I roasted some chicken breasts with basil, lemon and lime. Washed a lot of fruit......made some salad. Do you make anything that is grain free, soy free and corn free that is good?! I'm running out of ideas....

That sounds good to me! Anyway, if you want ideas, all the recipes posted on my blog (linked from my profile) are grain free, soy free, and corn free. We're also free of all starchy vegetables and packaged ingredients.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Carol Fenster's recipe blend (which I'm pretty sure she created using Bette Hagman's ratios) is:

1 1/2 C sorghum flour

1 1/2 C potato starch

1 C tapioca starch

Here's the recipe: (I think she does have it posted somewhere on one of her sites, but I'll save you the trouble.)

1 T yeast

2/3 C warm milk

2 1/2 t sugar (you don't have to put the sugar in, I do it either way)

1/2 C sorghum blend

2/3 c potato starch

2 t xanthan

1 t onion powder ( I use garlic)

1 t italian seasoning ( I always omit this one...)

3/4 t salt

1 T olive oil

2 t apple cider vinegar

The official recipe says to proof the yeast for 5 min in another bowl. (I don't do this either, I throw it all in at the same time)

Put all ingredients into a food processor, and blend until a ball forms.

Grease a 12-inch nonstick pan. Place dough on pan. Sprinkle with flour and pat out. Sprinkle as much flour as you need to, as the dough will be very sticky.

Bake at 425 for 10 min on the bottom rack. The pizza is now ready to be topped. When it is topped and you are ready to bake again, bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes on the middle rack. (I always make 2 so I swap them out half way through.)

Marilyn R Community Regular

I, too, prefer the N. Carolinian sauce for pulled pork. Last time I made pulled pork with pureed mango and it was amazing! I just made a big batch of Kansas City stype BBQ sauce today. I know that so many states in the US are serious about their grilling! We are in Canada, too, but not to that extent. Too bad!

Man, I love Osso Bucco! Have you done it with lamb? Gorgeous. Do you usually make gremolata to go with it? I love it but my husband prefers osso bucco without.

I do too! I love the marrow! My dear BF gives his bones to our beloved dog, which puts me in a quandry. I just don't say anything. How could he respect me if I asked him to wait, i want to have that marrow before you give it to that poor decrepid dog? It kills me.

I was out of lemons yesterday :lol: but there are leftovers and I always have fresh parsely (grow it on the front porch) and can't think of a time I've let myself run out of garlic.

I don't know if I should do leftovers or change it up. What do you think?

At first I was going to say I never tried osso bucco with lamb, but I have cooked various cuts of lamb in the PC with the same herbs & veggies. I never made gremolata for lamb though, will have to give it a whirl.

Our dessert tonight was great!. Pototo vodka, ice, a little pineapple juice and the remainder of a seedless watermelon whirled up in the blender, then frozen for 3 hours. (I've read that watermelon is very good for people who suffer from autoimmune diseases.) It was good for me tonight. :)

lizard00 Enthusiast

I do too! I love the marrow! My dear BF gives his bones to our beloved dog, which puts me in a quandry. I just don't say anything. How could he respect me if I asked him to wait, i want to have that marrow before you give it to that poor decrepid dog? It kills me.

HAHA! Thankfully my husband understands... but now my 1 yr old daughter steals them from me.

What to do?!?! :D

mushroom Proficient

Liz, is she really one year old??? You totally MUST update your pic!!!