This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Awesome GottaSki! I might have to try it again myself to see if I can make it work with sweet potatoes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

kareng Grand Master

Awesome GottaSki! I might have to try it again myself to see if I can make it work with sweet potatoes.

Report back, please.  

kareng Grand Master

I like your kitty Kat, K. (and you think I don't notice). Also like your quote--good one. ;)

I like that little Kitty,too.

Babysat the baby nephew yesterday.  He is about 10 months.  He has 3 dogs at his house.  My cat is fascinating to him.  She was very good with him.  Maybe had a baby in a past house.  She lets him touch her but stands or sits just at the end of his reach.  It sounded like he kept saying "cat".

Some of these TV stations weather reporting is nuts.  They interrupt programs to report on bad weather 100+ miles away that isn't coming to the area.  Very annoying.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Report back, please.  

Well, I tried it with sweet potatoes and they fell apart again! They just don't hold together for me like when I use Russet potatoes. I tossed grated sweet potatoes with melted earth balance butter and salt. Hmmm.....Maybe time to google to see what I did wrong.

LauraTX Rising Star

Well, I tried it with sweet potatoes and they fell apart again! They just don't hold together for me like when I use Russet potatoes. I tossed grated sweet potatoes with melted earth balance butter and salt. Hmmm.....Maybe time to google to see what I did wrong.

I like to sub in sweet potatoes for regular potatoes in things, and I find that the key to having them stay intact is to get the outsides crisped up before the inside is cooked... then you still have something for the cooked moosh to kind of hold on to.  So I will roast them in the oven and make sure to get that crisp on the outside real good... I am not sure what you could do with the waffle iron thing, though.  

Tonight I am making spaghetti with meat sauce and broccoli, and some chebe rolls I froze.  Cheezy bread is always a good choice.

kareng Grand Master

I would say add a little egg and a smidge of flour.  But you don't do egg.

Has anyone tried the waffle iron using mashed potatoes - sweet or white?  My Irish Grandma used to take leftover mashed potatoes add a bit of egg and flour and fry like a pancake.  We called the Irish latkes.  The recipe book guy did left-over mac and cheese in them.  Let me see if he did anything to the mac and cheese.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Actually I eat eggs, lots of them. :) So egg would be a perfectly good option.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Actually I eat eggs, lots of them. :) So egg would be a perfectly good option.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe/mac-cheese-waffles-recipe-waffleizer-22525703

They added egg to make the mac and cheese stick and bread crumbs.   

But if you eat eggs - then try some eggs and a spoonful or two of gluten-free flour.   I have used any all-purpose for the Irish latkes or rice flour.

I thought you were vegan?  Just a dairy intolerant vegetarian?

BlessedMommy Rising Star

No, I'm not vegan. Just a vegetarian who doesn't tolerate dairy well.

I love eggs and have resisted any effort from my vegan friends to convince me to give them up. :)

kareng Grand Master

I love eggs and have resisted any effort from my vegan friends to convince me to give them up. :)

Good girl.  Why make life more difficult than it needs to be?   :D

BlessedMommy Rising Star

My point exactly. I generally try to be polite and avoid stirring up drama, but when my vegan friends preach about the evils of eggs, I feel very tempted to say, "Try cooking gluten free AND vegan for 6 months and then get back to me on that."  :P

I know that being gluten free and vegan is possible, but it's certainly not anything that I feel like taking on.  :ph34r:

notme Experienced

I would say add a little egg and a smidge of flour.  But you don't do egg.

Has anyone tried the waffle iron using mashed potatoes - sweet or white?  My Irish Grandma used to take leftover mashed potatoes add a bit of egg and flour and fry like a pancake.  We called the Irish latkes.  The recipe book guy did left-over mac and cheese in them.  Let me see if he did anything to the mac and cheese.

MADNESSSS!!!!  you had me at irish grandma  :D  i love to play with my food - hmmmmmmm..... o snap, you could put corned beef, sauerkraut & swiss - ta daaaaaaaaa!!!  REUBEN LATKES!!!!   OR, orrr, stay with me now........:    BACON &chedda, sour cream, chives, etc and have a LOADED LATKE!!!  this is very exciting - ha, i bet hubs will love it.  you can't really do anything wrong with a potato  :D

GottaSki Mentor

Don't think you did anything wrong.

K provided a link that said melt butter on the iron and some other stuff. I went with that and the fact that you said sweet potato didn't work and squeezed as much moisture out of my grated yams as possible. Oh...and turned the heat down to lowest setting as I wanted them to cook, not burn.

We do potato pancakes with left over mashies...going to try it in the waffle iron next weekend.

GottaSki Mentor

You can't really do anything wrong with a potato  :D

This.

IrishHeart Veteran

.  you can't really do anything wrong with a potato   :D

This is my big ole Irish husband's view, indeed.  :lol: he'd eat them every night if I let him. (I don't) 

GF Lover Rising Star

My Hubs loves potatos, he made a potato cannon as a kid and had a fine time.  

GottaSki Mentor

We have a potato canon...kids used it infield at California speedway for a couple seasons without getting caught ... Mischief makers...no idea how that happened ;)

Dinner is KFG lasagna.

notme Experienced

yeah!!  mine did, too!!  we started out detonating it with canned hairspray, then graduated to (oxygen & ???)  more powerful exploding gasses until we could shoot it clear across the lake :D  boy.  those people were surprised lololz  :P

ski - we had a mega water balloon launcher at the racetrack in syracuse (fairgrounds) one year.  it would launch all the way across to the other side of the track.  THOSE people were surprised, too!!  (and WET hahahhaaaa!!)

tonight is:  pork with garlic sauce & sticky rice  (got an awesome stainless steel wok we are dying to try out - close out for $17.99 marked down from $60 - yeah, me!!)

kareng Grand Master

Hub grilled chicken on Sunday so we could use it tonight in a salad with a spicy peanut dressing tonight.  

love2travel Mentor

Ever since coming to Croatia in May, we have sort of fallen from the low-carb lifestyle a bit and I can really feel it.  Strangely, we have not gained any weight but I crave carbs as I used to...when I was doing my best, I had no cravings whatsoever.  And now, the more carbs I have, the more I want.  I really need to stop this cycle.  :huh:  Carbs bloat me.  So, no more potatoes for me or awhile.  But guess what I made?  Pizza!!!  High carb, delicious, unctuous, incredible pizza.  Again.  And a chocolate chestnut torte with a lovely cream cheese frosting (this was actually very low carb, to sort of justify the pizza ;)). 

Low carbs.  Tomorrow.  ^_^

mommida Enthusiast

OK now I need the recipe for the chocolate chestnut torte with cream cheese frosting!

mommida Enthusiast

My latest gluten free achievement was a chocolate molten lava cake served on a dab of Mrs. Richardson's caramel.  YUM!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

My splurge today was a Justin's peanut butter cup from the health food store. Yum!

Today was a blur of activity and appointments with my 8 year old daughter's doctor's appointment (got the celiac panel ordered, yay!) and my husband getting his 3 unit bridge done, so I'm going easy for supper. Vegan seafood with tartar sauce. :)

GottaSki Mentor

ski - we had a mega water balloon launcher at the racetrack in syracuse (fairgrounds) one year.  it would launch all the way across to the other side of the track.  THOSE people were surprised, too!!  (and WET hahahhaaaa!!)

Love it!

That would have been welcomed at California ... Especially the Labor Day race used to be hot as hell...I paid 25 bucks one season for the water truck to fill a kiddy pool...everyone laughed at me until they ended pulling their camp chairs to the edge to dangle their feet in my pool! Made the water too dirty for the toddler racetrack neighbor...but fun for all the other kids :)

Adalaide Mentor

My very generous husband shared his bug with me.  <_< Supper got cancelled last night and again tonight. I've been eating soup when I can manage to eat anything and told him he's on his own. Hopefully by Friday night I'll get my orange chicken. That's my plan anyway. Until then it's soup, soup and more soup.