This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Adalaide Mentor

Last night we had "Impossible Cheeseburger Pie" and a spinach and apple salad with pecans and a little lemony salad dressing I made.  You could add things like taco seasonings and serve with salsa but ...for some reason, we always like it just like it is.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/gluten-free-impossibly-easy-cheeseburger-pie/d85099e2-c64c-4328-9206-a8ffc3483710?src=SH

If you make it with Italian sausage and a pizza cheese blend it's really good too. You can even add a little diced pepperoni or cut some up to add to it when you do that. I recommend adding a bit of Italian seasoning when you do this too. Don't ask how much, I just eyeball things around here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

notme Experienced
kareng Grand Master

Making a chicken stew in the crockpot.  Had a pound ? of chicken tenders - threw in the rest of the carrots, a few red skinned potatoes, a stalk of celery, some freeze dried poultry spices and garlic & a little instant tapioca to thicken any juices.  Might add peas at the end.  good clean out the fridge thing.

Adalaide Mentor

Making a chicken stew in the crockpot.  Had a pound ? of chicken tenders - threw in the rest of the carrots, a few red skinned potatoes, a stalk of celery, some freeze dried poultry spices and garlic & a little instant tapioca to thicken any juices.  Might add peas at the end.  good clean out the fridge thing.

I saw someone else say this recently so I'm not the only one but I call those nights "chopped" nights. Check the fridge and throw whatever is in there in supper. It was actually watching lots of that show that made me more adventurous in the kitchen. I'm never afraid to try new things now and I'm not afraid to fail anymore. What's the worst case scenario? Ordering a pizza if it truly sucks? Oh the horror! :lol:

LauraTX Rising Star

I saw someone else say this recently so I'm not the only one but I call those nights "chopped" nights. Check the fridge and throw whatever is in there in supper. It was actually watching lots of that show that made me more adventurous in the kitchen. I'm never afraid to try new things now and I'm not afraid to fail anymore. What's the worst case scenario? Ordering a pizza if it truly sucks? Oh the horror! :lol:

It is good to keep a frozen pizza on hand when you are being adventurous in the kitchen... LOL

I have been so busy, I ate frozen pizza twice this week.  Not a slimming diet, for sure... LOL

Alwayssomething Contributor

Last night we tried the "Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie" only I used Mamwich with the hamburger meat, it was "Ok".   I will admit i was not sure if the top would come out more bread like or quiche like so I knew this was a risk.     I wouldn't make it again with Mamwhich but will be trying it from the original recipte soom.

I also made the Cinnamon Crumb Cake from the King Arthur baking mix box it was awesome!  

kareng Grand Master

That Manwich might be too wet.  You might like to make it the "real" way but add some taco spices to the meat.  Add taco sauce after its cooked.   Hub liked our regular one with taco sauce as left-overs.  It is a pretty mild flavor as written in the recipe.

Last night we had some grilled chicken tenders that I  marinated in lime juice, garlic and ginger.  Can't marinate more than 15 minutes on these little pieces or it will only taste like lime.  Then had some Lundberg mixed rice and green beans. A nice Chardonny.  A little vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moosemalibu Collaborator

I made a few recipes this weekend to try and get out of the food rut I've been in. I made a recipe from Against the Grain cook book this weekend. It was the slow cooker beef chili recipe. I thought it tasted good however the sauce reminded me of a mole sauce. So with a few tweaks and change to turkey breast I am going to turn it into one next time!

I also tried my hand at Arepas this weekend. I think I over cooked them because when I sliced them through when I thought they should be done the knife had some doughy residue on it. But I think that is what is supposed to happen?! Can someone advise? They were edible but not as I remember having at Pica Pica (in Napa). I saved them however to eat with my chili and they work well as like a corn bread disc. LOL

I made the ATG slow cooker orange sesame chicken... I over cooked it and burned the sauce. My crock pot only has 4 settings (2 low heat, 2 high heat). I think I need to invest in a new one. Anyone have recommendations? I usually only cook for 2 people but do entertain for Thanksgiving.

icelandgirl Proficient

I would love crock pot recommendations as well. Mine has only low or high. We use it so much when the kids are in sports and I'd love a good one with a keep warm setting.

Tonight we are having baked chicken parmesan, green beans and garlic bread.

Alwayssomething Contributor

That Manwich might be too wet.  You might like to make it the "real" way but add some taco spices to the meat.  Add taco sauce after its cooked.   Hub liked our regular one with taco sauce as left-overs.  It is a pretty mild flavor as written in the recipe.

Last night we had some grilled chicken tenders that I  marinated in lime juice, garlic and ginger.  Can't marinate more than 15 minutes on these little pieces or it will only taste like lime.  Then had some Lundberg mixed rice and green beans. A nice Chardonny.  A little vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce.  

Karen - it didn't get mushy or anything, which did surprise me, but because the manwich is wet the egg mixture didn't "flow" between everything it really sat on top more like a sheppard's pie.   And of course it cooked more souffle like which was only "ok" on a manwich.   We will be sure to try it closer to the original recipe next time, I am sure we will like it better. 

notme Experienced

we are going to try mushroom/bacon/swissburger impossible pie next time (sounds suspiciously like quiche, so don't tell the hubs lolz)

we had chili in a REGULAR POT pshaw i'm a rebel, i know - but i'm giving in to kfg crockpot tomorrow night to make swedish pot roast.  i have rubbed my venison with the appropriate spices and it's getting happy overnight :)  i'm dying for some mashed taters and i have some coleslaw already made.  or might make harvard beets to make the husband all happy and stuff.  he loooooves them  :)

moosemalibu Collaborator

I made a Thai red curry tonight from the cook book Artisanal Gluten Free. I would recommend to add green peas, snap peas, carrots and fresh basil (fresh basil as a MUST - add at the end of the recipe).  I had a favorite dish at a Thai restaurant in Davis and have CRAVED it for a year now. I can now say my home recipe is 99.9% similar and my taste buds cannot decipher the difference. I am so HAPPY!!! :D  :D  :D

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Curry is really good! I made a red curry last night with coconut milk and Thai Kitchen red curry paste. (and some honey and a little soy sauce) For veggies, I used onions, bok choy, and tomatoes. For protein, I put in baked tofu. I served it with plain white basmati rice. My MIL was visiting and stayed over for dinner and it was a hit with her and the kids.  :)

kareng Grand Master

Had nachos with the left-over chicken from Sunday night while we watched the game.

GO ROYALS!

SMRI Collaborator

BBQ ribs and broiled zucchini

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Salad with french dressing, corn penne pasta with cashew cheesy style sauce.

gilligan Enthusiast

BBQ ribs and broiled zucchini

Broiled zuchini?  Sounds good - what do you put on it?

SMRI Collaborator

Broiled zuchini?  Sounds good - what do you put on it?

I cut one in half the long way, lightly spritz with olive oil and add some Parmesan cheese.  I bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or so and then finish under the broiler to brown the cheese.  It's very good and juicy when done.  I love zucchini!! You could add some spices, pepper, garlic, etc. if you wanted too. I've done a variety of things but this is my go to way to prepare it.

kareng Grand Master

Let's see.... I have some catching up to do.

Thur - rice, the rest of the encore chicken, can of Rotel tomatoes, Can of beans, some salsa, rice, a little chicken broth - cheese on top.

Fri - Brauts on the grill with veggie/fruit kabobs - canned potatoes, red pepper, sweet onion & fresh pineapple - marinated in Teryaki

Last night - Bonefish Grill - Salmon with mango salsa, garlic whipped potatoes, asparagus and the brownie for dessert

notme Experienced

last night - pan seared ahi tuna w/zucchini/yellowsquash/carrot/broccoli slaw w/ginger&sesame dressing - with a couple of sea scallops, pan seared as well.  i marinated the tuna & scallops in garlic&ginger teriyaki.  and sticky rice <love that damb rice cooker!!  

it's been every man for himself as far as dinner has been around here the past weekend.  our son got engaged on thursday and married on friday!  lolz - so, i have a new daughter-in-law.  i love her and we were gonna marry her anyway........  :)  after the wedding, hubs and i 'haunted' the neighborhood (we live in a historic district and they do a haunted walking tour)  so, i was the ghost who pushed him down the stairs and picked his pocket.  11 times on friday and 8 times on saturday.  it's fun to rob him (he says i do it every payday lolz) plus, i get to touch his hiney :D :D

LauraTX Rising Star

Tonight I was inspired by something I picked up at the grocery store meat counter... going to make steak fingers (fried strips of tenderized breaded cube steak for those unfamiliar) with some mini potatoes and something like peas on the side.  Gonna make some white gravy, too, to dip them in or it just wouldn't be right.  Yummm

moosemalibu Collaborator

Tonight I was inspired by something I picked up at the grocery store meat counter... going to make steak fingers (fried strips of tenderized breaded cube steak for those unfamiliar) with some mini potatoes and something like peas on the side.  Gonna make some white gravy, too, to dip them in or it just wouldn't be right.  Yummm

Can I come over for dinner? That sounds wonderful!

LauraTX Rising Star

Can I come over for dinner? That sounds wonderful!

Come to texas and I will feed you!  LOL... for something I made on a whim, turned out real good.  Hubs thinks its hilarious when I eat gravy by itself, but I very rarely make it.

moosemalibu Collaborator

Come to texas and I will feed you!  LOL... for something I made on a whim, turned out real good.  Hubs thinks its hilarious when I eat gravy by itself, but I very rarely make it.

It would be fun to visit some other Celiac's households... But Texas is kinda far for a quick trip! ;)

Today we are having beef tacos. I baked some lemon poppy seed muffins for my boyfriend to take with him to work for breakfast. He will still buy the glutenous muffins from the grocery store and just bag them immediately and store them separate from our other food. But he didn't feel up to making a trip to the store and I felt like baking so it was a win/win. I glazed them, too. Turned out pretty good.

notme Experienced

last night we had a mexican (chuck it together lolz) casserole - i am digging the tortillaland fresh corn tortillas.  they say to just 'dry fry' them, but frying them in oil is soooo much better.  so, tortillas for the 'crust', refried beans, chicken, salsa, cheese, ta daaaa!  and we had lettuce, sour cream & avocado :) on the side.