Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
jess_gf

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

Rate this topic

I never would have thought to try that :huh:

I do love maple syrup on my pork sausage so it sounds like something I would enjoy :D

It's awesome! Oh, yes. Also good brushed with melted guava or plum jelly. If you try it, report back!

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

I am a chili pepper FANATIC. Whenever friends travel to the US or Mexico they know without asking to bring back whatever they can find. It is almost like a collection! Some of my favourites are mulato, chipotle (dried jalapeno), ancho (dried poblano), cascabel, guajillo, aleppo... I toast them on dry heat, grind in my M&P or grinder and use in rubs, seasoning blends, chili pastes and so on. If our climate was better I would grow tons and tons but alas...Zone 1a is not exactly conducive to pepper production! :lol:

Have you tried the hottest pepper on the planet, the esteemed Bhut Jolokia or Ghost Pepper? Almost nearly impossible to find (I haven't yet but don't know whether I would want to - I love heat but I love to taste my food!).

Nope. The hottest I've had is habenero. Funny story about habeneros. My ex know-it-all British husband picked some habeneros out of my garden and I suggested that he use gloves. He pish-poshed that. Later he told me that not only did he have stinging fingers, he had taken a pee and ... well, the resin from the pepeper on his fingers burnt him other places. That's probably the hottest pepper I need. :D

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

We ate rijsttafel (Indonesian rice table - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijsttafel) whilst on honeymoon in Amsterdam. This is a collection of many dishes arranged in tiers with those on the top tiers being the smallest and spiciest. And we were warned about how hot the ones on top were. I didn't go beyond the first two or three tiers. Hub tried a taste of one of the top ones :o T'was not a very romantic night. We were staying in a canal hotel, with no loo on our floor (had to go up or down) and it was pretty hilarious for me, but not for him :lol: However, I was struck the next day while on the docks where hub was explaining Henry Hudson set sail for the Americas - suddenly he noticed I was gone, hightailing it for the railway station and the loo. :D I don't do hot at all well.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Nope. The hottest I've had is habenero. Funny story about habeneros. My ex know-it-all British husband picked some habeneros out of my garden and I suggested that he use gloves. He pish-poshed that. Later he told me that not only did he have stinging fingers, he had taken a pee and ... well, the resin from the pepeper on his fingers burnt him other places. That's probably the hottest pepper I need. :D

I bet your ex has not made the same mistake since! :lol:

Once when I was home from work from lunch (I was young and thought I was invincible - my, how times have changed! :lol: ) I decided to skip wearing gloves and chopped habaneros for a salsa I would be making that evening. Well, that was not the smartest decision I've made. For some unknown reason (blame it on the celiac! hee hee) I rubbed my eyes. I had to call my employer and tell them I could not make the 1:00 meeting because I could not see to drive back. How embarassing - I was to chair a meeting and could not even make it because of a really foolish decision. :P It was a standing work joke for ages...

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

We ate rijsttafel (Indonesian rice table - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijsttafel) whilst on honeymoon in Amsterdam. This is a collection of many dishes arranged in tiers with those on the top tiers being the smallest and spiciest. And we were warned about how hot the ones on top were. I didn't go beyond the first two or three tiers. Hub tried a taste of one of the top ones :o T'was not a very romantic night. We were staying in a canal hotel, with no loo on our floor (had to go up or down) and it was pretty hilarious for me, but not for him :lol: However, I was struck the next day while on the docks where hub was explaining Henry Hudson set sail for the Americas - suddenly he noticed I was gone, hightailing it for the railway station and the loo. :D I don't do hot at all well.

Sorry to laugh at that but I secretly am inside. ( :lol: ) On your honeymoon? Oh, dear.

I have never had proper authentic rijsttafel. Were you actually able to taste food or did you mainly feel the heat?

Sorry to laugh at that but I secretly am inside. ( :lol: ) On your honeymoon? Oh, dear.

I have never had proper authentic rijsttafel. Were you actually able to taste food or did you mainly feel the heat?

That's okay, you were meant to laugh :D

The lower tiers were quite tasty but the higher you went the less taste, the more heat :P

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

As I was somewhat remiss in the vegetable area towards the end of last week, I'm starting this week off on a green note:

Fresh Pea and Artichoke Soup

Collards, nuked in the microwave

Coconut Flour Waffle with Plum Preserves

... rather a lot of snow peas while stringing them for tomorrow ...

And perhaps a bit of chocolate or some blueberries in a bit.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable

3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG

4/2010 Negative biopsy

5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)

5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

Since there are some bacon fans here, has anyone tried brushing bacon with something sweet such as maple syrup and roasting in the oven? Lovely - sort of like bacon candy. Also good sprinkled with black pepper and pomegranate molasses.

So, cook it first or brush it when raw and then roast it?

Dinner wound up being bacon and pancakes made with Pamela's mix. Man do I love that stuff for pancakes.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

I'm up late cooking rotisserie chicken for my husband to take to work tommorrow. I had a killer headache earlier today and took a LONG afternoon nap from 3-8. Oops. Now I can't sleep. My husband didn't cook dinner while I slept-- he just sort of grazed on snacks for dinner. So I don't have any leftovers to send. He will eat out sometimes when that happens but I figured since I'm up I might as well do something useful. :D

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Tonight is our Vietnamese girls' last night at home before they head back to Vietnam for a 2 month holiday with family. We are going to make sushi, tempura and chicken kaarage. (I bought a deep fryer yesterday!).

Can't wait!!

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

That's okay, you were meant to laugh :D

Yes, but maybe I shouldn't have laughed THAT much! :lol:

So, cook it first or brush it when raw and then roast it?

You brush it on raw then broil. I like maple syrup best as it remains ooey gooey and sticky.

I'm starting a pot of African ground nut stew.

Oh, man. I LOVE that stuff! Haven't made it for ages.

Oh, man. I LOVE that stuff! Haven't made it for ages.

Me too! I never make it exactly the same twice though. The only ingredients that stay the same for me is peanut butter, tomatoes and chicken. ANd most of my spices are the same I guess (tumeric, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, cininimon, pepper, and kosher salt). But I love to mix it up and do different veggies. Today I'm just throwing a bunch of stuff in the pot. I have leftover roasted sweet potatoes and leftover chicken, green beans, carrots, onions, some celerey that was getting wilty in my fridge and whole crushed garlic cloves. I'll make some rice and serve it over that. I usually make it in the slow cooker but since my chicken is already cooked I decided to make in on the stove and slow simmer it until dinner time.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Me too! I never make it exactly the same twice though. The only ingredients that stay the same for me is peanut butter, tomatoes and chicken. ANd most of my spices are the same I guess (tumeric, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, cininimon, pepper, and kosher salt). But I love to mix it up and do different veggies. Today I'm just throwing a bunch of stuff in the pot. I have leftover roasted sweet potatoes and leftover chicken, green beans, carrots, onions, some celerey that was getting wilty in my fridge and whole crushed garlic cloves. I'll make some rice and serve it over that. I usually make it in the slow cooker but since my chicken is already cooked I decided to make in on the stove and slow simmer it until dinner time.

Yum. Sounds like you're in for a treat! :)

Avocado and grilled shrimp salad over dark green leafy lettuce. Add some Pinot Grigio! Been meaning to try the watermelon salad with avocado minus the tomatos. Anyone try it yet?

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.

George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10

Endo biopsy positive 5/10

Gluten free 5/10

Weird combo of leftovers tonight:

Leftover roast loin of pork with guava glaze

Roasted potato salad with herbed oil

Grilled corn on the cob with maple chipotle butter

Roasted Strawberries with Balsamic

Also kinda grazed:

raw snow peas

raw romano beans (purple green beans!)

baked beans

blueberries

chocolate chips

maybe a piece of toast or a muffin at some point...

4/2010 Negative biopsy

5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)

5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Tonight we had salad with homemade ranch, fauxtatos (mashed cauliflower chock-full of butter), baked asparagus, and baked salmon with dill. I should have taken a picture.

Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.

Gluten-Free since November 2010

GAPS Diet since January/February 2011

me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011

partner - not tested for celiac

ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.

dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome

both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

As we have a lobe of gorgeous duck foie gras we are having:

Pate de Foie Gras with Cucumber Gelee (takes hours so I'd better get moving!)

Black Truffled Pureed Potatoes

Micro Greens (from the garden) including tiny beet leaves, radicchio, sorrel, arugula, radish leaves, mustard, frisee with Citrus Honey Thyme Vinaigrette

Preserved Lemon Granita (as a palate cleanser to cut the rich fatiness of the foie gras)

http://www.elanaspantry.com/lemon-rosemary-mini-muffins/

blueberries

(weird summer eating-- tend to eat major meal at lunch and large snack around 4, so not much for supper)

4/2010 Negative biopsy

White fish sauteed in olive oil, sprinkled with rice wine vinegar. Beet cole slaw.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.