jess_gf

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

Rate this topic

My husband's away on a business trip, so I get to post to this thread tonight! Makes his absence easier to bear that I can eat meat while he's away. ; )

-braised chicken with leeks

-roasted white potatoes with rosemary

-a mesclun & radish side salad

Yum!

Simple again but oh, so good...

Roasted Apple, Butternut Squash and Leek Soup with Spicy Pepitas and Pumpkinseed Oil

Caramelized Onion Focaccia Bread

Oh to be such a good cook that this is a simple dinner!

(I even had to look up "pepitas".)

Oh to be such a good cook that this is a simple dinner!

(I even had to look up "pepitas".)

Lucia, I've been salivating at YOUR dinners, too! They look great. Cooking is such a pleasure. :D

Extremely simple tonight:

Chicken a la King

Salad Calabrese

I think I just might feel better enough tomorrow to make something fabulous and interesting! :P

cheese and bacon :D :D

and wine

Anything with cheese, bacon and wine has to be a perfect dinner ;) (well, that is, depending on the wine -- nothing out of the box because life is too short to drink cheap wine :P )

Finger foods!

- Buffalo-style Chicken Meatballs

- Roasted Truffled Sweet Potato Crispy Fries with my yummy hummus (with sumac)

- Pancetta and Sundried Tomato Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms

- Crispy Wonton Wrappers Stuffed with Braised Lentils and Preserved Lemon

Dining out tonight, but will try this tomorrow eve with garlic mashed potatoes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/traditional-osso-buco/detail.aspx

Mmmm...I love making Osso Bucco! Good to see this recipe includes gremolata which really makes it shine. Yum!

I tried Banh Xeo again tonight (Vietnamese shirmp/mung bean rice flour pancakes.) I've watched a video on it, read all kinds of recipes on the web, consulted some Vietnamese associates on it. (Went to the nail salon today and everyone there had advice.)

They still didn't turn out right, but I learned that it's important to whisk rice flour really well, and let it stand for awhile in the liquid (even up to 3 days in the refrigerator) so that it isn't gritty.

I had these at a Vietnamese restaurant pre- gluten-free Days and loved them! I've tried twice to make them at home without real success, but they were still good. The texture wasn't right but the flavor was great!

Pot roast that I put in the crockpot this morning. Beef, red wine, onions, mushrooms, a couple cloves of garlic, salt. Thicken the broth into gravy with arrowroot starch and serve with potatoes and a steamed veggie.

Homey comfort food for tonight...

James Beard's Meatloaf with Piquante Glaze

Mashed Potatoes with Chive Oil

Minted Pea Puree

variation of "Crockpot Pumpkin Chili w/ ground Beef, Black Beans, and kidney Beans" recipe from Kalyns Kitchen:

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/10/recipe-for-crockpot-pumpkin-chili-with.html (if i remember correctly,her recipes are mainly for the Sought Beach Diet, not all are gluten-free, but some, like this one, are)

I love squash too! I can't get enough of it during this season.

Have you tried that really pretty yellow and green one shaped like an acorn? I love butternut, but I love this variety even more.

I'll probably have squash tonight, and smoked pork but with green papaya salad if I get adventurous, or just pork with squash and asparagus. (DP smoked a butt this weekend.)