This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Marilyn R Community Regular

Due to circumstances beyond my control (a neighbor stopped by and lingered forever), we had to have a microwave meal tonight.

It was nachos made with thick corn chips and leftovers from superbowl Sunday (gluten-free chili, pulled pork), grated cheddar and asiago cheese and some salsa with sour cream. We loved them!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

notme Experienced

superbowl - i made stromboli (using crescent roll recipe - o my gosh i am in love with this dough!!!) also, portobello mushrooms w/crabmeat stuffing, crudite w/swiss bacon & scallion dip, also made rolls w/simona's challah dough - *love* it!! ps - everybody loved the stromboli - i brushed them with some egg wash and they came out crispy. husband wants me to try deep frying calzones! stay tooned.....

ps - i love you guys for posting awesome recipes :) thank you so much!!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

superbowl - i made stromboli (using crescent roll recipe - o my gosh i am in love with this dough!!!) also, portobello mushrooms w/crabmeat stuffing, crudite w/swiss bacon & scallion dip, also made rolls w/simona's challah dough - *love* it!! ps - everybody loved the stromboli - i brushed them with some egg wash and they came out crispy. husband wants me to try deep frying calzones! stay tooned.....

ps - i love you guys for posting awesome recipes :) thank you so much!!!!

sounds FAB! (drooling) :)

I missed the crescent roll recipe somehow. Would give my arm for stromboli or calzone ...Would you be a love and point me to it?

Much thanks, IH

researchmomma Contributor

sounds FAB! (drooling) :)

I missed the crescent roll recipe somehow. Would give my arm for stromboli or calzone ...Would you be a love and point me to it?

Much thanks, IH

Me too please!

Simona19 Collaborator

I made rice risotto with coconut milk, peas, scallion, spinach and cheese (not for me), sauted chicken breast (just salt, dry red pepper and olive oil) and fruit cocktail.

23qxjbd.webp

Marilyn R Community Regular

I'm not the OP, but I think this might be the recipe referred to...

I haven't tried it yet, and I haven't tried Chebe's for strombolli (on their website) but it looks good!

And lol, we had nachos for dinner again tonight. Tonight we lingered at the neighbor's and DP requested them. Poor dear neighbor was the victim of a smash and grab. (Never leave your purse in your car!) The thief somehow managed to access her savings account and wiped it out, she'll get it back but has to jump through some hoops and wait awhile. Then she got laid off her job less than a week later, and her house was broken into a couple of months ago. She doesn't have celiac, but I think we all know that feeling when everythin starts tumbling down.

She's single and just scraping by.

Good news tonight, she's starting a better job tomorrow. I learned about the opening at my sister's pre-Superbowl Party. Somebody announced they were retiring and I asked if they had anyone to replace them...hooked up my neighbor and my sister's guest. My dear neighbor looks happy for the first time in quite awhile, and she's going to make a better salary! Remember that feeling, I do: hope. I remember when that came back.

notme Experienced

yes, marilyn, that is the recipe :) sorry, y'all, i haven't been on here for a few days. do try the dough! it keeps in the fridge for at least 3 days (i had some leftover) and it also makes dee licious pizza crust. i might put a little less sugar next time if i'm making it for pizza dough. i rolled it out and shaped it into a circle, (spray the pan w/olive oil) and i egg washed the top, baked it till it was getting a little brown on the edges, then flipped it over and put my toppings on. NOT soggy, NOT mealy, crust stayed crispy and even reheated really nicely for quick lunch. i am from NJ and pizza is it's own food group up there (cut my teeth on pizza crust lolz) so i am supremely *stoked* :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

yes, marilyn, that is the recipe :)

May I ask for clarification? :)

the link to the crescent rolls says:

1 c. gluten-free flour mix ( rice,potato starch,tapicoa )

what's the ratio? 1/2, 1/4, 1/4?

thanks a bunch!

IH

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I have been so tired this week, so it's been easy dinners. Tonight tuna salad with lemon, olives, celery, fresh dill, capers(love the salty with tuna) drizzle of olive oil and boiled egg slices on the side. A few gluten-free crackers. Glass of white wine......

notme Experienced

May I ask for clarification? :)

the link to the crescent rolls says:

1 c. gluten-free flour mix ( rice,potato starch,tapicoa )

what's the ratio? 1/2, 1/4, 1/4?

thanks a bunch!

IH

i used brown rice flour, cornstarch, tapioca and potato starch. exact measurements? i am a little free and loose with my flour blends. i got a measuring cup and put flour in until it equals 1 cup. mostly rice (probably 1/3 cup) then cornstarch (1/4?) then more tapioca flour and a little bit of potato starch <like a few tablespoons. sorry - i loosely interpreted that as "flour blend" whatever kind you like to use for baking. o, and definitely you will need a mixer to blend the cottage chz with the butter really well. but after that i just folded in the dry ingredients with a spatulator and as soon as it formed a ball, i wrapped it and refrigerated it.

alex11602 Collaborator

Last night was chicken soup over white rice noodles and tonight may end up being a beef soup if my daughter's throat doesn't stop hurting so bad.

IrishHeart Veteran

i used brown rice flour, cornstarch, tapioca and potato starch. exact measurements? i am a little free and loose with my flour blends. i got a measuring cup and put flour in until it equals 1 cup. mostly rice (probably 1/3 cup) then cornstarch (1/4?) then more tapioca flour and a little bit of potato starch <like a few tablespoons. sorry - i loosely interpreted that as "flour blend" whatever kind you like to use for baking. o, and definitely you will need a mixer to blend the cottage chz with the butter really well. but after that i just folded in the dry ingredients with a spatulator and as soon as it formed a ball, i wrapped it and refrigerated it.

Most flour blends ---even the ones I make up myself--are 1 part flour to 1/2 starches, so that's why I asked. Okay, this works!

Thanks! :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I have been so tired this week, so it's been easy dinners. Tonight tuna salad with lemon, olives, celery, fresh dill, capers(love the salty with tuna) drizzle of olive oil and boiled egg slices on the side. A few gluten-free crackers. Glass of white wine......

You call it easy, CKip--but I call it yummy. Sounds delightful! :)

I just whipped up that crescent roll recipe. I went back to betterbatter website and you can use sour cream, cream cheese, ricotta or cottage cheese. I had sour cream on hand and the dough tastes amazing. That is a really good sign!!!! I am excited to bake this up and will let you know how the sour cream worked.

IrishHeart Veteran

I just whipped up that crescent roll recipe. I went back to betterbatter website and you can use sour cream, cream cheese, ricotta or cottage cheese. I had sour cream on hand and the dough tastes amazing. That is a really good sign!!!! I am excited to bake this up and will let you know how the sour cream worked.

Gosh, you had energy for that ---after that LONG, busy day at work you had? wow! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(should we tell them we "talked" almost all day long on email and that neither us got squat done?? :lol: )

I saw that you could sub cream cheese or ricotta, too--and I prefer those to cottage cheese (just a texture thing) and so, please DO let us know.

What else ya having??? :)

I was so BUSY all day :) so we had a quickie.

No, not that :lol: ...quick 4- cheese white pizza with garlic and broccoli. Good old CHEBE dough. (THANK YOU, MARILYN AND KAREN!!)

Need to give a shout out to my peeps!!

Simona19 Collaborator

I have a very good week. I had only 4 mild episodes and that

Gosh, you had energy for that ---after that LONG, busy day at work you had? wow! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(should we tell them we "talked" almost all day long on email and that neither us got squat done?? :lol: )

I saw that you could sub cream cheese or ricotta, too--and I prefer those to cottage cheese (just a texture thing) and so, please DO let us know.

What else ya having??? :)

No, not that :lol: ...quick 4- cheese white pizza with garlic and broccoli. Good old CHEBE dough. (THANK YOU, MARILYN AND KAREN!!)

Need to give a shout out to my peeps!!

Oh Irish, you ratted me out. I got a lot done in the morning! Then you had to talk me off the "stupid things that doctors say ledge". Thank you for that.

Hope you got that walk in between our blabbering!

We are having steaks, potatoes, crescent rolls and roasted asparagus. Your dinner sounds good!

Yeah, I find that sour cream adds flavor to gluten-free flours. I am all about flavor. And telling my life story on email to you apparently!

uh huh!

I have a very good week. I had only 4 mild episodes and that

IrishHeart Veteran

Yeah, I find that sour cream adds flavor to gluten-free flours. I am all about flavor. And telling my life story on email to you apparently!

I loved every second of it. ;) Yes, walk accomplished.

I agree! SOUR CREAM is the "secret ingredient" in the amazing hamburger rolls my friend bakes---the one who owns the gluten-free bakery?

They are so light and delicious and she says that is why!!

I loved every second of it. ;) Yes, walk accomplished.

I agree! SOUR CREAM is the "secret ingredient" in the amazing hamburger rolls my friend bakes---the one who owns the gluten-free bakery?

They are so light and delicious and she says that is why!!

Hamburger rolls? That sounds good. What is it exactly?

CarolinaKip Community Regular

You call it easy, CKip--but I call it yummy. Sounds delightful! :)

HaHa! Easy because I didn't have to actually heat something or "cook" :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Hamburger rolls? That sounds good. What is it exactly?

:lol: what's a hamburger roll? or the recipe? IT is the sour cream!

I have no idea what the ratio of flours, starches, x-gum is etc. is--as she is in a competitive business here and probably wants to keep it secret :) ...but I can buy one of the flour mixes she puts together and ship it to you if you want! I send them to my Mom and she makes her rolls up and freezes them. They freeze well. I have several in my freezer! You add the wet ingredients (sour cream, egg, milk)Let me know.

IrishHeart Veteran

HaHa! Easy because I didn't have to actually heat something or "cook" :)

;)

:lol: what's a hamburger roll? or the recipe? IT is the sour cream!

I have no idea what the ratio of flours, starches, x-gum is etc. is--as she is in a competitive business here and probably wants to keep it secret :) ...but I can buy one of the flour mixes she puts together and ship it to you if you want! I send them to my Mom and she makes her rolls up and freezes them. They freeze well. I have several in my freezer! You add the wet ingredients (sour cream, egg, milk)Let me know.

Oh like a hamburger bun! I don't know what I was thinking. I didn't get much sleep last night.