This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Lisa Mentor

Here's an easy lamb shanks recipe without tomato that you can do in the crockpot:

Ingredients

4 frenched lamb shanks

¼ cup plain flour

8 whole baby brown onions, peeled

4 stalks rosemary

4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced

½ cups red wine

1½ cups beef stock

mashed potato and steamed green vegetables to serve

323%20D5275%20Braised%20red%20wine%20and%20rosemary%20lamb%20shanks.webp

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Season the flour with salt and pepper, and mix well. Dust lamb shanks in the seasoned flour, shake off excess.

2. Heat a large frypan over a medium high heat, add a little oil. Brown the lamb shanks well on all sides. Remove and place them in a small roasting dish or large casserole dish.

3. Reduce heat in pan and add a little extra oil, add the baby onions, cook for 1 minute, stir occasionally. Add rosemary and garlic, stir for 30 seconds.

4. Gradually pour in the combined wine and stock. Stir until the mixture boils. Pour over the lamb shanks. Cover the dish tightly with its lid or foil, place in oven. Cook for 1½-2 hours or lamb shanks are very tender. Turn the shanks occasionally and adjust the heat as it cooks if needed. You may need to add a little beef stock or water if it appears too dry. Serve shanks with a spoonful of the thickened sauce and mashed potato and green vegetables (beans and sugar snap peas).

Cooktop method: Place the browned lamb shanks and other ingredients in a heavy-based pot. Partially cover, keep the heat low. Simmer until the meat is very tender. Stir occasionally; add water if needed during the cooking time to keep ingredients well covered.

Tips

Simmer the lamb shanks gently and taste them to see if they’re ready. When it’s done the meat should be tender enough to fall from the bone with a fork.

Best lamb cuts for or casseroling or braising: diced lamb forequarter, forequarter chops, shanks, frenched shanks, neck chops, lamb topside, leg (bone-in), shoulder (bone-in), easy carve (leg or shoulder bone out), boned and rolled shoulder or leg

To cook in a Slow Cooker:

Brown the lamb shanks well and place in the slow cooker. Place the baby onions, rosemary and garlic in to the slow cooker with the lamb shanks. Add the wine and stock. You may need to add a little beef stock or water if it appears that the liquid does not cover the lamb and onions. Cover the slow cooker with its lid, cook on Low Setting for 8-10 hours or the High Setting for 4-5 hours.

Yummy I do love lamb shanks. But they are hard to get here without a special order. You have lambs, we have.....um, pigs.

I made beef/pork BBQ in the Crock. Second time I have used a crock pot, but everyone was very pleased with the results. That's a good thing. :D ...with cole slaw and mac & cheese. Country tonight. B)

Feel better soon Loves2! ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Marilyn R Community Regular

Thank you mushroom. I just e-mailed myself the recipe after hitting the link. That looks yummy. :)

Marilyn R Community Regular

Grilled BBQ chick breasts, sweet potato for me, Idaho for him. Homemade daikon pickle. (Pickled white radish with cucumber and sliced carrots, lots of minced garlic and rice vinegar and fish sauce, some sliced onions and red pepper flakes and dill.

I bought a watermelon radish at the farmers market today too, along with a kohlrabi, and a small bunch of gerbera daisies. I have know idea what to do with the watermelon radish, but I don't seem to respond badly to root veggies. I tried a slice at the market and liked it. The pickle really seemed to stimulate my appetite, which usually lags in the evening.

Maggie Mermaid Apprentice

Here's an easy lamb shanks recipe without tomato that you can do in the crockpot:

Ingredients

4 frenched lamb shanks

alex11602 Collaborator

Tonight I'm making Chicken Parm with white rice noodles.

love2travel Mentor

Loves2, I hope you feel MUCH better very soon! Sad that you're sad.sad.gif

You are too sweet. My herniated discs cause all sorts of pain and sometimes it gets so bad that I cannot even cook which means it is B A D. I often feel as though someone took a baseball bad and hit me repeatedly over and over and over. From my neck to my knees. It is brutal. Very hard to sit and lie down but also to stand. Pretty tricky. :huh:

However, today is a new day. The baseball bat owies are pretty bad but not desperate. So, I made dinner in several stages. I just can't wait for my weekly massage tomorrow! :D

love2travel Mentor

Everything sounds wonderful. Does the Braised Lamb Shanks use any tomato products?

Dinner tonight is cooking in the crockpot. It's a chicken stew using boneless chicken thighs, mushrooms, red potatoes, sweet potato, onions, carrots, celery, chicken stock seasoned with fresh rosemary, salt&pepper.

The shanks did not require anything tomato but the sauce did have a touch of bittersweet chocolate!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Loves2, glad to hear the owies are better. Massage sounds very nice! Enjoy.smile.gif

love2travel Mentor

As it is still winter here, I thought I'd make Chicken and Dumplings tonight. I have a recipe for light fluffy dumplings. We will have a rocket salad with tangerine vinaigrette, shaved local pecorino and toasted pine nuts.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Chicken sausage with green onions and red peppers on an Udi roll. Marinated coleslaw salad on the side....

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Don't laugh.

Beef pot roast cooked in Dr. Pepper.

Baked avocado fries

Salad with homemade Catalina dressing

Hubs is out of town and I'm trying to get The Kid into eating more veggies.

mushroom Proficient

Don't laugh.

Baked avocado fries

Salad with homemade Catalina dressing

Hubs is out of town and I'm trying to get The Kid into eating more veggies.

Now, I do swear, pricklypear, that is the very first time I have ever heard of someone frying avocado (well, I know they are "baked fries" but still.....) :D Can't imagine how that would turn out :o

Now, I do swear, pricklypear, that is the very first time I have ever heard of someone frying avocado (well, I know they are "baked fries" but still.....) :D Can't imagine how that would turn out :o

Hey, they are quite the Pinterest rage!

I can't believe THAT was odd when I'm cooking a pot roast in Dr. Pepper? :).

I put some coconut oil in my Catalina dressing - that's a bit weird too but figured my child could use a brain boost (if he eats it).

love2travel Mentor

Hey, they are quite the Pinterest rage!

I can't believe THAT was odd when I'm cooking a pot roast in Dr. Pepper? :).

I put some coconut oil in my Catalina dressing - that's a bit weird too but figured my child could use a brain boost (if he eats it).

Cooking protein in soda is not unusual - it has been done for many years so you are not odd or strange or any such thing. ;)

Cooking protein in soda is not unusual - it has been done for many years so you are not odd or strange or any such thing. ;)

I agree, but I'd never heard of using Dr. Pepper with beef (Coke with ham, yes).

Btw the avocado fries were rather lacking. I don't know of it was using gluten-free breadcrumbs or if the recipe is just blah - but if I did it again I'd fry them and just coat them in flour not breadcrumbs.

And The Kid did NOT eat my Catalina dressing.

love2travel Mentor

I agree, but I'd never heard of using Dr. Pepper with beef (Coke with ham, yes).

Btw the avocado fries were rather lacking. I don't know of it was using gluten-free breadcrumbs or if the recipe is just blah - but if I did it again I'd fry them and just coat them in flour not breadcrumbs.

And The Kid did NOT eat my Catalina dressing.

Prickly, I'm sorry if I came across as snarky with my soda comment - I didn't mean to! :( Anyway, the Dr. Pepper with beef must have tasted great.

love2travel Mentor

Roasted Mushroom and Sunchoke Soup with Chive Oil

Roasted Asparagus with Prosciutto, Lemon Vinaigrette and Crispy Capers

Strawberries with Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale de Modena - it is very thick and syrupy

Prickly, I'm sorry if I came across as snarky with my soda comment - I didn't mean to! :( Anyway, the Dr. Pepper with beef must have tasted great.

It wasn't snarky.

And the beef would be ok if you put it in a sandwich, etc. not a lot of seasoning - but you do taste the DP which is rather strange, actually. It is very tender. I'll be making sandwiches/tacos with it later this week.

JoyfulGF Apprentice

Was going to make Parmesan Soup (It's actually Creamy Tomato Parm Soup but, I call it "Parm Soup" so that hubs will eat it) Haha! With some homemade bread but, we both decided on snacks for tonight. Popcorn, veggies with dip, chips with dip, cheese, and probably some baked kale chips. Yum! I love Wednesdays!

mushroom Proficient

).

Gluten free breadcrumbs can be a bit bland. Hubs had cooked some chicken tenders in gluten-free bread crumbs the other night, and there were a couple still waiting to be cooked the next day. I added a bunch more seasoning to them and cooked them in coconut oil, and the difference was amazing. :)

lucia Enthusiast

Don't laugh.

pricklypear - I think this is intensely creative. I had no idea people cooked meat with soda! It's truly American cuisine. I don't eat beef, but what is good with chicken?

love2travel - hope your postings mean that you're feeling better again.

I had a friend come over tonight, and served:

-roasted beet & fennel soup

-spinach risotto

She's not vegetarian, but didn't notice the lack of meat.

mushroom Proficient

lucia, just off the top of my head, ginger ale sounds good with chicken :)

ETA: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/282/Ginger-Ale-Chicken132219.shtml :D

love2travel Mentor

love2travel - hope your postings mean that you're feeling better again.

Better than I was feeling! Today in addition to meals I made homemade ketchup and kale chips. Delicious. Thanks for remembering.

mushroom Proficient

Better than I was feeling! Today in addition to meals I made homemade ketchup and kale chips. Delicious. Thanks for remembering.

I did not read the post where you had been baseball batted :unsure: Glad you are back to hitting home runs again!

love2travel Mentor

I did not read the post where you had been baseball batted :unsure: Glad you are back to hitting home runs again!

Thanks! About 100% of the time I feel baseball batted but thankfully some days are better than others. It hurts so badly to lie down and sit or make any contact with me body anywhere so I find walking and standing (on gel mats) far better until my muscle spasms take over forcing me to lie down. Anyway, at the moment my entire body is so tender that to lie on a bedsheet that is wrinkled causes a lot of pain. :( But thankfully earlier I was able to do some pretty mean cookin'! :)