This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Adalaide Mentor

More dental work means another 2-3 days eating soft foods and liquids. I minced up some bacon and fried it up and cooked it in some cream of rice cereal and added a little maple syrup on top. It sounds weird but it really is yummy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

freeatlast Collaborator

More dental work means another 2-3 days eating soft foods and liquids. I minced up some bacon and fried it up and cooked it in some cream of rice cereal and added a little maple syrup on top. It sounds weird but it really is yummy.

Adalaide, you hang in there, girl! I love that cream of rice cereal, too. Nice touch with the maple syrup. Hadn't tried that yet :)

love2travel Mentor

Doesn't sound weird to me at all! Bacon has an affinity for sweet things such as caramel, ice cream, brownies, maple syrup, jam... It's that salty sweet thing that has people drooling! :P

love2travel Mentor

It is still below 0 and very windy so I am making Creamy Five Cheese Macaroni and Cheese. We will have broccoli of some sort to go with it.

Adalaide Mentor

It is still below 0 and very windy so I am making Creamy Five Cheese Macaroni and Cheese. We will have broccoli of some sort to go with it.

I... I whined all day yesterday about our dusting of April snow and the flurries and snow squalls all day. It was right around 35ish or 40 and I bundled up in my winter coat and gloves and scarf and still was convinced I'd freeze to death on my 15 minute drive. I don't know how you tolerate it, although mac and cheese is awesome for warming the soul. I think the only thing that keeps half of us from wanting to live with you for your culinary skills is the fact that we'd all freeze to death halfway to your house! :lol:

love2travel Mentor

I... I whined all day yesterday about our dusting of April snow and the flurries and snow squalls all day. It was right around 35ish or 40 and I bundled up in my winter coat and gloves and scarf and still was convinced I'd freeze to death on my 15 minute drive. I don't know how you tolerate it, although mac and cheese is awesome for warming the soul. I think the only thing that keeps half of us from wanting to live with you for your culinary skills is the fact that we'd all freeze to death halfway to your house! :lol:

Cold isn't easy to take, is it? I think we put up with it because we have to and we are used to it. Thankfully we do have lovely albeit short summers. Can't wait to move to Croatia!!!

Our Mac and Cheese tonight is not any ordinary Mac and Cheese - it will be unctuous and sublime. You know I couldn't just make a normal recipe... ;)

sora Community Regular

Woohoo.

My daughter showed up the other day with a small prime rib roast and a gluten free apple pie.

So the roast is now standing to finish it off and we will have roasted carrots and onions, broccoli with lemon butter and mashed potatoes with cream.

And apple pie for dessert. Can't wait!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sora Community Regular

Cold isn't easy to take, is it? I think we put up with it because we have to and we are used to it. Thankfully we do have lovely albeit short summers. Can't wait to move to Croatia!!!

Our Mac and Cheese tonight is not any ordinary Mac and Cheese - it will be unctuous and sublime. You know I couldn't just make a normal recipe... ;)

At one of my past jobs the chef was sent a recipe and told to make it and give free samples to the customers. It was Mac and Cheese with cubes of butternut squash and dried cranberries. We all responded by says ,ewe, gross. Well it was fantastic and the customers loved it too.

dcns65 Apprentice

My daughter is wanting a better mac and cheese. Please share your creamy five cheese sauce!

cahill Collaborator

Tonight is sweet potato fries,broccoli in cheese sauce ,cottage cheese( for me) and steak (for my grandson).

love2travel Mentor

My daughter is wanting a better mac and cheese. Please share your creamy five cheese sauce!

I did not make it with lobster this time - that is the ultimate. This is not for the faint of heart or those who are worrying about calories at this moment. (There's always tomorrow! :P )

Caramelize 2 onions until like candy (about 30 minutes).

Make bechamel*. Heat the milk and cream and add half an onion with a couple of cloves stuck in it as well as a bay leaf. Let sit about 10 minutes.

Now comes the pancetta but you can use plain old bacon. Saute and crumble into bechamel sauce along with 1/2 cup fontina, 1/2 cup gruyere, 1/2 cup aged cheddar, 1/4 cup parmesan or asiago (none of that icky fake stuff!) and a bit of goat's cheese. Stir in most of the caramelized onions (save some for the top). Add a touch of either Dijon mustard or powdered mustard and grate a touch of nutmeg into the bechamel. Layer half the pasta into a buttered pan and pour over half the bechamel. Add the rest of the pasta and cover with the remaining bechamel and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar and a bit of parmesan and remaining caramelized onion. You can add a breadcrumb topping but I did not. No need. Bake at 350 until golden and bubbly.

*Use about 1 cup of milk and cream in the sauce (or half and half) for about 8 oz of dry pasta.

For those interested in making mac and cheese outside the box (get it?) you may be interested in some of these yummy ideas...

http://blog.springpadit.com/2010/02/20-ways-to-get-creative-with-mac-n-cheese%C2%A0/

love2travel Mentor

At one of my past jobs the chef was sent a recipe and told to make it and give free samples to the customers. It was Mac and Cheese with cubes of butternut squash and dried cranberries. We all responded by says ,ewe, gross. Well it was fantastic and the customers loved it too.

That combo really makes sense to me. It is very balanced - you want every dish you make to be balanced. Sounds delicious! Next time I am making my mac and cheese with pureed carrot to replace some of the cheese sauce.

sora Community Regular

Had my fancy dinner yesterday so today is a rice dish. Nothing special. Rice with mix of veggies and ground meat all cooked together.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I was at my sister's for Easter and helping with preparations for dinner. I stirred the mac and cheese (not gluten-free), and some sauce splashed on my fingers. It was hot and I licked it off. Then I said OMG I just licked your mac & cheese off my fingers! My sister offered me Listerine.

I'm hoping that wee bit of cc doesn't get me.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I'm not ever cooking again. Well, maybe in a few days??

Tonight, we're having leftovers.

Leftover pork roast stuffed with garlic and peppe and dripping gravy, sweet potato casserole, asparagus, rice, fruit salad, lemon meringue pie, and carrot cake cupcakes....

mushroom Proficient

Pricklypear, I just ate dinner from your post :D (But I did pick out the peppers :unsure: )

alex11602 Collaborator

Tonight will probably just be chicken and rice with baby carrots for dinner (raw since that's the only way my 2 year old wants to eat them).

Yesterday we went to my moms house and Easter dinner was completely gluten free :) We had ham, roasted potatoes, green beans, there were hardboiled eggs and I made cornbread mini muffins from the Bob's Red Mill mix and even my dad and sister who don't like cornbread loved it. For dessert we had a carrot cake from the Namaste mix that I made for my husband's birthday.

love2travel Mentor

Ham with Spicy Cider Glaze

Potato Gratin

Roasted Leeks with Lemon Dijon Caper Sauce

Something with pears - unsure of what yet. Perhaps poached in white wine and vanilla bean.

Mateto Enthusiast

Hot turkey sandwiched today. Turkey from yesterday's Easter dinner! Also, turnips and cabbage maybe.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Grilled brazillian sausage, roasted sweet potato, chilled asparagus and fresh sliced papaya with a dollup of greek yogurt.

love2travel Mentor

I was at my sister's for Easter and helping with preparations for dinner. I stirred the mac and cheese (not gluten-free), and some sauce splashed on my fingers. It was hot and I licked it off. Then I said OMG I just licked your mac & cheese off my fingers! My sister offered me Listerine.

I'm hoping that wee bit of cc doesn't get me.

So, are you feeling ok today?

sora Community Regular

I had baked chicken with roasted sweet potato with mayo, honey and dill dip and sauteed zucchini with garlic.

Rice pudding for dessert.

sora Community Regular

I made a pork roast in the crock pot. Carrots, potatoes and onion with some tomato and a bit of clove.

love2travel Mentor

I had an intense craving for shrimp so I simply did a sweet and sour shrimp stir fry with carrots, broccoli and daikon served over vermicelli noodles.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Well, I was tired of cooking so we went out.

I snuck Tostitos into my favorite Mexican joint so I could eat the salsas (they have a shared fryer so chips are out) and guzzled two Cadillac margaritas.

In-house soft corn tortillas with a beef/bacon mix and chicken/bacon mix saut