jenvan

Nuvaring

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Nuvaring birth control? I worry about my birth control being absorbed fully, and would just love to not have so many hormones too. The Nuvaring is like a 1/3 of the hormones of the pill b/c it goes directly into your blood stream. Anyone used it ?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I used it for about a month, but my body *really* doesn't like the hormones in there - I think, in particular, the synthetic progestins. I didn't have a problem with it other than that.

do you mean it was comfortable or irritating ?

Ihave used the nuvaring for over a year and it is the easiest method for me. I have had no irritation and it's been perfectly unnoticeable. I had previously used bcp's and suffered with mood swings and pms. I have virtually no side effects to the nuvaring. I plan on keeping it for as long as necessary!

I recommend the patch, personally. I tried the pill before I knew about celiac disease, and the hormones completely whacked me out. The patch didn't do that to me. Also, I like how the chemicals are absorbed through my bloodstream instead of going through my GI tract--much more reliable delivery!

Rachel

Ads by Google:

I used the Nuvaring for six or so months, and loved it. It's the most safe form of birthcontrol because the levels of hormones are constant, and thus can be very low levels. I am fairly small, so I was worried about comfort. It was great though! I deffinetly reccommend it. (No one sees it, unlike the patch during swim season) Also, you change it once a month, not once a week, which you do with the patch.

Talk to your doctor about this, but I just kept it in for a full four weeks and had no period. I took it out every 3 months. It was soooo nice!

I recommend the patch, personally. I tried the pill before I knew about celiac disease, and the hormones completely whacked me out. The patch didn't do that to me. Also, I like how the chemicals are absorbed through my bloodstream instead of going through my GI tract--much more reliable delivery!

Rachel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NuvaRing is similar because it also absorbs through to the blood stream.

I realized that I look like I'm sexually active (at 17, YIKES!) I'm not, I just thought I'd clarify that. Heehee. I have a messed up endocrine system, so I do birth control for the hormone replacement.

thanks for the info ladies!

Is there any internet source where I could get a listing of gluten-free birth control pills. I haven't had a period for about 1.5 years and I have been checked out by my doctor and she wants to start me on SEASONALE at Halloween if I haven't started yet. Does anyone know about SEASONALE, or have they used it? I like the fact that it only allows 4 periods per year!

Ads by Google:

I can't use my patch anymore!!!

I guess my pharmacy, CVS, got scared from the health risks on the news and they cancelled all prescriptions for the patch. No letter, no warning, nothing. It completely messed up my cycle, which of course, destroys the effectiveness of birth control. A week passed before I figured out why their computerized system had no record of my prescription for the patch.

So, then I switched to Nuva ring and I don't like it. I've had it for a week now, and I feel like I'm constantly cramping. It keeps on moving. I'm so aggrivated! I just want my patch back!

Here's my question: does it get better after a while? Are they all "one size fits all"? I really don't want to take the pill, but this isn't working for me.

Thanks for your help, ladies!

Glad this thread came back up--I wanted to post on nuvaring... I started it about 3 weeks ago and so far its great! I don't notice it at all--(its also not a prob. during sex : ) for those who are curious, and I haven't noticed any other issues.

Caligirl--sorry you aren't having luck with it though! They are all one size...but some women have different shapes internally...so perhaps that is the problem. You sure you have inserted it correctly? You need to insert it as far back as it will go. You might get used to it after a while...but it may just not be a 'fit' for you. I would first make sure you are inserting it properly. If you want more detailed info :) just pm me. I might try and give it a little grace for a bit though--since it sounds like your cycle got messed up from the patch, and that might be part of the problem. I have read negative things on the patch...so maybe it will end up being a blessing? I had pretty good luck with the conventional pill (ortho) before nuvaring, so that's always an option too--but you would have to start thinking about it every day though.

My husband is in Iraq so now is the perfect time to get off of any birth control and try to have a normal cycle on my own, so that we can start trying for children when he gets home.

BUT- I got a Rx for the Ring first, and the Doc was SO RUDE!! I asked her how to use it and she said "there is an insert....." and I said "well, what if I have questions?" and she said "then you make another appointment"!!!!! Can you believe that! Needless to say, I will not be going back to her! And so I get home and open the insert to read it, and it says not to use if you have heart defects or a history of breast cancer in your family (and a long list of other things) and I have both of those, so I am not going to use it. I will also be sending the doctor a nasty note. That was when I decided to just go natural, but I know that not everyone can do that. I have heard great things about the ring from several people, so if you are looking for something, I would give it a try. But, personally, it is time for me to get my OWN cycle going, you know? I mean, I was on the pill for 7 years!!!!!!

About the patch-I am a pharmacy tech and there are a lot of concerns about the patch. Things are absorbed through the skin totally differently than they are through the stomach and digestive system. This system is not perfect and has shown bad health consequeces. I, personally, was interested in the patch a few months ago, but I am not willing to take the health risks.

Tiffany--

I did read thru the nuvaring risks and they seemed to be the same as the risks with my ortho. I think those risks you mentioned are similar for all BC, so beware of that. I totally understand your decision to opt out. I would love to do that myself too--but at this point I physically can not risk a pregnancy. I have been on BC for about 10 or 11 years...forever! I have ovarian cysts.... I think when I have kids, we will have them close together, then the dh will get the "snip, snip" and we'll call it quits with the BC for good! :)

I didn't agree with Nuvaring and if you ever take it out watch out you might spend the day in bed with a god awful migraine. I had to leave work it was so bad and sleep a minimum of 4 hours before I felt better. Also, I noticed an increase in dischargea and irritation after 3 weeks on. They say the patch isn't much better and they some doctors have stopped recommending it after some recent findings. Not sure what. I am back on the pill.

I have been on the patch for almost 6 months and like it. Unlike the pill, I ahven't gained weight, actualy I've lost a few lbs, it's lessened my pms symptoms like irritability. However, I do get awful diahhrea before each period , which i never did on pill or without any bc. My only gripe is that I can't find a spot on me that clothes don't rub against the side of patch and cause it to pull away from skin. ANyone else had this problem?

I think when I have kids, we will have them close together, then the dh will get the "snip, snip" and we'll call it quits with the BC for good! :)

I hope you have better luck with having hubby go for the "snip" than I did! Shortly after we were married, Terry got really bad kidney stones. He was in the hospital for two weeks, they were giving him meds and, believe it or not, BEER!, every day trying to get rid of them. They wouldn't budge, so they had to "go in" and crush them with a claw. (I can visualize all the men reading this shivering and cringing right now.... :lol::P ). This was the days before laser treatment! Ever since then, his philosophy is NOBODY GOES NEAR IT!!! (except me, of course..... ;) )

So after the boys were born, I had to go in to get sliced and diced! We couldn't take any chances, another pregnancy might have resulted in triplets!!!! :o

Hugs

Karen

Hi, everyone. I have an update on my little birth control crisis. I felt terrible on the nuva-ring--it was like I was always having cramps, which I guess is unusual. It kept on moving, so I thought, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! I gave up after 6 days and took it out entirely. I made an appointment with my gyno, and I guess it was just a screw-up at CVS, so she wrote me another prescription. She said she felt completely comfortable prescribing it, because I don't smoke, not everweight, no risks for excessive blood clots, etc. She also said that every BC on the market has much less estrogen than the older BC pills from the 1950's. It makes me wonder how much of this is truly safety related, and how much of this is liability protection.

So anyway, I got my patch back, and I'm happy. :)

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Rachel

PS Kailynsmom--I usually put it somewhere on my back, and it's much more comfortable. I've found the key is to stick it to skin that doesn't have to move or flex very much.

Tiffany--

I did read thru the nuvaring risks and they seemed to be the same as the risks with my ortho. I think those risks you mentioned are similar for all BC, so beware of that. I totally understand your decision to opt out. I would love to do that myself too--but at this point I physically can not risk a pregnancy. I have been on BC for about 10 or 11 years...forever! I have ovarian cysts.... I think when I have kids, we will have them close together, then the dh will get the "snip, snip" and we'll call it quits with the BC for good! :)

Jen,

I totally understand. I am only able to do this now because my husband is overseas so I am not worried about getting preggers for another year, and after that we want to start trying. I too have cysts, and I was told that I would have to be on BC's for life to help with the pain, but I wanna try and see on my own, because I was on the pill when they told me that, so I am not just going to take their word for it....we all know (especially in this message board!) that docs can be wrong! LOL. My problem with the ring is that it is BRAND NEW and the pill has been around for 30+ years. The manufacturers list the same side effects because the main ingredients are the same, but that dosent mean that they will act the same when delivered differently to the body. Just like wheat eaten and wheat in lotion. Different reactions. Lotion does not enter the digestive tract.

Ortho (I am assuming you are refering to ortho try-cyclen, ortho cyclen, or ortho-novum 7/7/7) is a "second-generation" oral contraceptive. And Ortho try-cyclen contains the progestin norgestimate which is rapildy converted in the body to norgesterel. These are "proven" or tested technologies. In the 60's and 70's it was not uncommon for women to have major heart attacks and strokes because of the potent pills available. Things have been adjusted in the second generation of BC's. There is a really great book that I use for work called "Worst Pills, Best Pills; A consumers guide to avoiding drug-induced death or illness". It is really neat to see all of the info out there about the 200 most prescribed pills. It is a really big book, but I like having it around to check on side effects and interactions. Just a little info for you.

Tiffany-

Thanks for the info! I may ck that book out... Keep me updated on you--on any cysts etc after going off b/c. Hope things work out--and that your husband comes home soon!

Ads by Google:

Why are condoms so not discussed here? There would be no discussion of the man's body reacting badly to a condom. Only the man, himself, not being thrilled. If you use bc for a medical condition, that's one thing, but to prevent pregnancy? You're screwing with your body. Why are so many women willing to alter their hormones to avoid pregnancy? Take a step back and think about the absurdity of it for a moment.

I do take it also for medical reasons, the cysts... I actually abhor condoms too, so it wouldn't be just my husband complaining. He is anti-meds, so I'm sure if I brought it up seriously and said I wanted to go off bc, he would support me. He has also volunteered to get the "snip snip" when we decide the time is right... I know not all ladies have a husband who would do that.

I do take it also for medical reasons, the cysts... I actually abhor condoms too, so it wouldn't be just my husband complaining. He is anti-meds, so I'm sure if I brought it up seriously and said I wanted to go off bc, he would support me. He has also volunteered to get the "snip snip" when we decide the time is right... I know not all ladies have a husband who would do that.

I recall you saying earlier that YOU take it for med reasons. It just boggles my mind how many women take bcpills, etc. I can't leave a discussion on bcp without pointing out the insanity of taking them in the first place.... for bc, not med conditions. Our culture accepts them too freely. Where's the cry to rid them from our women? Bc has been "normalized" by a very crafty industry. We can easily point out abuses suffered by women in third world countries and those countries that reject women's rights, but we fail to see how an entire concept of "birth control" is dominated with the hormonal wreakage of a female body.

I recall you saying earlier that YOU take it for med reasons. It just boggles my mind how many women take bcpills, etc. I can't leave a discussion on bcp without pointing out the insanity of taking them in the first place.... for bc, not med conditions. Our culture accepts them too freely. Where's the cry to rid them from our women? Bc has been "normalized" by a very crafty industry. We can easily point out abuses suffered by women in third world countries and those countries that reject women's rights, but we fail to see how an entire concept of "birth control" is dominated with the hormonal wreakage of a female body.

You are right. I DO fail to see how an "entire concept of birth control is dominated with the hormonal wreakage of the female body". I really don't think it is that at all.

Guest cassidy

I've been on the ring for 1 1/2 years now. I love it. I hated the patch because it leaves a sticky bandaid type residue where you put it. Neither my husband or I can feel the ring at all and it has been great. I just took my last one out the other day - we are going to start trying to get pregnant in a few months and I want to have some non-birth control periods. I've never had a regular period in my life, but I'm hoping my new gluten-free diet may help with that (I saw that as a symptom somewhere).