Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mushroom

Leaky Gut Syndrome

In my reading journey I came across this chapter on line from a published book which I thought gave a very good description of leaky gut syndrome that I thought I would share with those interested:

http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/leaky-gut-syndrome-articles/leaky-gut-syndrome:-the-systemic-consequences-of-faulty-digestion/

Leaky Gut Syndrome: The Systemic Consequences of Faulty Digestion

Articles - Leaky Gut Syndrome Articles

By Elizabeth Lipski, PhD, CCN

(Chapter taken from Digestive Wellness, 3rd Edition McGraw Hill)

Author of Digestive Wellness, Digestive Wellness for Children, Leaky Gut Syndrome. Founder of www.innovativehealing.com and www.AccessToHealthExperts.com

"The gut is a major, potential portal of entry into the body for foreign antigens. Only its intact mucosal barrier protects the body from foreign antigen entry and systemic exposure."

--Russell Jaffe, M. D., ELISA/ACT Clinical Update 2, No. 1 (January 1992).

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That is a fantastic article. Thank you for posting. Now I wish I could find a health care professional who actually understands how to test for and treat food sensitivities! I am going to bring this to my next appointment.

It seems sort of like it's been abridged. And while I agree it's a good description of the basic condition, the constant shilling of products (OTC tests, natural products, etc.) reduces my overall rating of the website.

Also, I don't know that all the authors statements have been fully backed up in terms of connections to other diseases. Some of my reading may be out of date, though.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable

3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG

4/2010 Negative biopsy

5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)

5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

It seems sort of like it's been abridged. And while I agree it's a good description of the basic condition, the constant shilling of products (OTC tests, natural products, etc.) reduces my overall rating of the website.

Also, I don't know that all the authors statements have been fully backed up in terms of connections to other diseases. Some of my reading may be out of date, though.

I wasn't intending for this to be taken as a definitive scholarly article, merely as a good description for newbies especially of the condition and how the transportation works and why it causes us so many problems. As for the advertising, I guess I am pretty much immune to it, but it's how even Scott pays his bills ;)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009