This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hosting A Party

MelindaLee

MelindaLee Contributor

Alright you talented people. I have my DS College Graduation Party next weekend. I am having an open house. I need food to feed these people and for my sake and my DS I want them to be gluten-free (we are, the rest are not) Any idea's would be great. Please include recipes, unless they are simple (I can handle the cheese and crackers LOL) :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The-Albatross Newbie

Crock pot Chicken Wings???

My recipe is for a smaller portion... for a party it would need to be quadrupled or so...

1 pound of Chicken Drumettes

2 Tblsp Vegetable Oil (for heat substitute Thai or Korean Chili oil)

1/2 Tsp Minced Garlic

2 Tblsp Ketchup or Gluten Free Barbeque Sauce

1 Cup of Honey

1/2 Cup of Gluten Free Soy Sauce

Salt and pepper to taste

For some heat add some Cayenne pepper... 1/2 tsp or so.

Place drumettes in slow cooker, season with salt and pepper. Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over the chicken. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low, stiring to rearrange the chicken in the sauce a couple of times.

sa1937 Community Regular

Have you checked this website? Open Original Shared Link They have a lot of recipes ranging from appetizers to desserts, etc.

For Christmas Eve I plan to try Open Original Shared Link I've never made them before but they look good. And we always have tons of food so there is something for everyone.

MelindaLee Contributor

Crock pot Chicken Wings???

My recipe is for a smaller portion... for a party it would need to be quadrupled or so...

1 pound of Chicken Drumettes

2 Tblsp Vegetable Oil (for heat substitute Thai or Korean Chili oil)

1/2 Tsp Minced Garlic

2 Tblsp Ketchup or Gluten Free Barbeque Sauce

1 Cup of Honey

1/2 Cup of Gluten Free Soy Sauce

Salt and pepper to taste

For some heat add some Cayenne pepper... 1/2 tsp or so.

Place drumettes in slow cooker, season with salt and pepper. Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over the chicken. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low, stiring to rearrange the chicken in the sauce a couple of times.

By drumettes, do you mean the meatier "Upper arm" part of the wing?

Sounds great! thanks. I think my DH would LOVE these! (not that he needs the gluten-free! :blink: )

MelindaLee Contributor

Have you checked this website? Open Original Shared Link They have a lot of recipes ranging from appetizers to desserts, etc.

For Christmas Eve I plan to try Open Original Shared Link I've never made them before but they look good. And we always have tons of food so there is something for everyone.

Yummm! :P Thanks for the link...how have I missed this one! :unsure:

Juliebove Rising Star

Hummus cups. Or Greek salad cups. Start with cucumbers. Cut them into thick chunks, about 1" or so thick. Use a melon baller or small spoon to hollow them out so that they are the shape of little cups.

Fill with homemade or prepared hummus. Or Greek salad. For that you can use some of the removed cucmber. Chop it up and mix with some finely chopped tomato, feta cheese and chopped Kalamatta olives.

tea-and-crumpets Explorer

These are ridiculously good: Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Wow! These sound good and I've just printed out the recipe. biggrin.gif

kareng Grand Master

Keep the whole party gluten-free, except maybe beer, We just had people from my hub's work over and that worked great. I didn't have to worry about what I could eat at the party or after. I can eat all the left-overs because no one got gluteny crumbs on anything.

We did a wine, cheese and chocolate party - 6 cheeses (with a little tag to say what they were), crackers, carrotts & red Pep slices with hummus, pineapple, grapes, 3 kinds of choc truffles, choc caramel brownies, peanut brittle, pistachios, meriange(sp?) cookies.

I find it hard to have hot apps coming out of the oven when people are here. Everyone seems to end up in the kitchen.

MelindaLee Contributor

YUM thanks!

The-Albatross Newbie

Yes, I usually get the drumettes (not the smaller end of the wing with less meat) especially if it's for guests... but it doesn't really matter... it's just more meat and less skin, a better appetizer that way.

Tina B Apprentice

Alright you talented people. I have my DS College Graduation Party next weekend. I am having an open house. I need food to feed these people and for my sake and my DS I want them to be gluten-free (we are, the rest are not) Any idea's would be great. Please include recipes, unless they are simple (I can handle the cheese and crackers LOL) :lol:

Scallops with bacon.

This is awesome with corn chips. Buffalo chicken dip. I use cooked shredded chicken instead of the canned.

Open Original Shared Link

Chips and salsa, guacamole

sb2178 Enthusiast

spring rolls!

plain or seasoned nuts... like spiced pecans, or honey roasted cashews

white beans pureed with roasted red peppers and roasted garlic cloves, thinned to taste with olive oil (yeah, not a recipe where I've ever measured but it's always good)

The-Albatross Newbie

Yum those white beans sound really good... I'm adding that one to my list and will give it a try, and I'm not even throwing a party. ;)

MelindaLee Contributor

spring rolls!

plain or seasoned nuts... like spiced pecans, or honey roasted cashews

white beans pureed with roasted red peppers and roasted garlic cloves, thinned to taste with olive oil (yeah, not a recipe where I've ever measured but it's always good)

YUM! Close enough to a recipe, I can follow that! THANKS :D

mbrookes Community Regular

Try soaking waterchestnuts in gluten-free soy sauce (La Choy is safe) and wrapping in bacon. Bake until the bacon is done.

An antipasta plate with olives (several types) cheese, gluten-free salami, roasted red peppers (from a jar)and pickled asparagus (Sam's has it in a jar and it is safe)

diane64 Apprentice

What brands of blue cheese are gluten free? The recipe sounds yummy!

Scallops with bacon.

This is awesome with corn chips. Buffalo chicken dip. I use cooked shredded chicken instead of the canned.

Chips and salsa, guacamole

Tina B Apprentice

What brands of blue cheese are gluten free? The recipe sounds yummy!

I always use Maries. It's very thick and chunky and is in the refrigerated section with the produce.

• 2 weeks later...
sa1937 Community Regular

For Christmas Eve I did make the Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps (link posted by tea-and-crumpets) and they were delicious! I used chicken breast tenders for them. PIA to make and took me twice as long as expected by everyone loved them so that made it worth it.

I also made the Mushroom-Pecan Appetizers (from the Live Gluten Freely website) and that recipe is a keeper, too. They're also good warmed up in the microwave.

freeatlast Collaborator

For Christmas Eve I did make the Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps (link posted by tea-and-crumpets) and they were delicious! I used chicken breast tenders for them. PIA to make and took me twice as long as expected by everyone loved them so that made it worth it.

I also made the Mushroom-Pecan Appetizers (from the Live Gluten Freely website) and that recipe is a keeper, too. They're also good warmed up in the microwave.

Thanks for letting us know. I had copied/pasted the sweet chicken bacon wraps recipe. Will probably try it next year, but will give it your approval comment :)

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I made the Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps for Christmas Eve as well. My family loved them! I made a few for me with just brown sugar as I'm avoiding all chili's peppers etc. I enjoyed them. Now I'm trying to find something to make for New years with all my restrictions. The wrapping did take some time,but I agree worth it ;)

tea-and-crumpets Explorer

I'm really glad people like the chicken bacon wraps! I should have mentioned that they're kind of a pain to make, totally worth it, though, in my opinion. I made them for Christmas Eve dinner with my family, too. I will definitely use chicken tenders next time, I never even thought of using them before.

sa1937 Community Regular

Using chicken breast tenders is taking the easy way out! So much easier than dealing with chicken breasts. biggrin.gif

Kelleybean Enthusiast

I do roasted chickpeas which is fairly cheap and healthy. Rinse and drain one can of chickpeas, dry them off a little. Add 2 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and garlic or onion powder. Bake at 450 for 30-40 minutes (until they are dry and brown like nuts). You could also add a bit of cayenne pepper if you like spicy things.

MelindaLee Contributor

My party was a huge success, thank you all for the ideas! My FIL came over and was feeling bad for me having just been diagnosed in August. He asked what out of my two table spread I could eat. I said ALL OF IT!!! He's done feeling bad for me! :D

Archived