Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

katifer

My 4 Year Old Has Been Gluten-Free For 2 Years But Still Seems To Be Very Small And Complains Of Muscle Pain

We found that my four year old has Celiac when he was 2 years old because he was not growing, hardly eating, hardly slept etc. He has been gluten-free for the last 2 years. I only cook gluten-free meals, and there is almost no gluten in our house. We are very careful and his school is careful.But he is very,very little still and he hates being small:( He has just started complaining that his legs hurt all the time.I give him a multi-vit., calcium, vit-D drops, and fish oil...what am i missing?? we live on an island out of the U.S that has very little blood testing options...if we are back in the States in the summer are there tests that you regularly have your child have. Any thoughts? What would you do? thanks for your time!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Some of us are more sensitive to trace gluten levels than others. My son and I had to go to all naturally gluten free non processed foods to be symptom free. We also have to wash everything like crazy. Maybe try cutting down on some of the processed foods would help your son too.

If you're feeding him oats, take those out. I wonder about growing pains with the legs, because he's right at the age for them. Is that a possibility? A pediatrician should be able to tell since they see it all the time.

My 4 yo has been gluten-free for a year and is also very small (3%) for weight. He's gotten a bit taller since going gluten-free, but he's still very short. It really bothers him and he gets frustrated about it. Our doctor encouraged us to give him Ensure or Pediasure to make sure he is getting enough calories. He's 4 1/2 now, and does seem to have gained a bit more weight, but I think its still on the same curve. He is doing well on the diet and hasn't had any cross-contamination based on blood tests. The doctors think its just his normal size for now. I have no advice but I thought I'd let you know you aren't alone with a small child.

-Beth

Mommy to Steven, age 4 - diagnosed with Celiac July 2009 at age 3 via TTG IGA and endoscope/biopsy. He's grown several inches since going gluten-free!

And to Paige, age 6 - No celiac disease, just a picky eater

Are you and the school avoiding gluten in stuff like playdoh and glues for crafting stuff? That can be a gluten source that gets skipped.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)