This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

French Fries?

MWIXON

MWIXON Newbie

Hey I was wondering...the dietitian I spoke with when I first found out I had Celaic, which was about 5 months ago, said I could have french fries anywhere. As I was reading on each of their websites ( Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's ) it says they are fried with chicken tenders or chicken nuggets. So does that mean we can't have them?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kayo Explorer

You should only have them if they were fried in a dedicated fryer, otherwise you risk getting sick via cross contamination.

McDonald's often uses a dedicated fryer for their french fries but ask to be sure. If it's a small McD's (like in a food court or an airport) they may not have a dedicated fryer due to space constraints.

I really wish all doctors, dietitian and nutritionists would brush up on these things. So much bad advice is being handed out!

Skylark Collaborator

Hey I was wondering...the dietitian I spoke with when I first found out I had Celaic, which was about 5 months ago, said I could have french fries anywhere. As I was reading on each of their websites ( Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's ) it says they are fried with chicken tenders or chicken nuggets. So does that mean we can't have them?

It's a bad idea. There is enough gluten on shared fryer foods to make me sick and I'm not that sensitive these days. Burger King often has a dedicated fryer for french fries. You have to ask at the restaurant. Same with McDonald's.

McDonald's has confused some people because they use a fake beef flavor with hydrolyzed wheat protein in it during processing. The fries have been tested independently and there is no detectable gluten in the finished product so they're considered safe for celiacs.

I don't know about Wendy's. Why eat fries there when you can have the chili and a baked potato and not worry about CC? ;)

lynnelise Apprentice

In my town Wendy's, Chickfila, and Burger King all have dedicated friers. Just make sure to ask first as it varies by location.

Monklady123 Collaborator

You have to ask at each place. My Wendy's has a dedicated fryer for only fries, so they're safe. I eat them all the time and never have trouble.

MWIXON Newbie

ok thanks for the responses.... I did notice on McDonalds website that the oil does have wheat protein in it so how are their fries safe? I haven't had them since I read that and would love to get them given they have a dedicated fryer and the oil is safe.

Lisa Mentor

ok thanks for the responses.... I did notice on McDonalds website that the oil does have wheat protein in it so how are their fries safe? I haven't had them since I read that and would love to get them given they have a dedicated fryer and the oil is safe.

The wheat protein is processed out, and tested to a level that is considered safe for people with Celiac to consume.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast

I drove through my local Wendy's hoping to try some of those new fries with the skin & sea salt. I asked if they used a dedicated fryer and they said "no". I asked if they also fried chicken tenders and breaded stuff in the same fryer and they said "sometimes".

So I didn't get to try any.

best regards, lm

rainer83 Newbie

I'd avoid them. I keep getting told that high temperatures will kill any CC, but I don't believe that to be true. One night a few months back, I made the mistake after a 10:30pm class and was starving and got some fries and was sick right away and was sick for about 3 days without any sign of it ending. I was in so much pain, I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. I wouldn't get fries from any fast food place. I just get McCain super fries and do it myself.

Kim27 Contributor

Chick Fil A !! Yum, waffle fries! I eat them with no probs.

MelindaLee Contributor

Watch the McCain's. I bought McCain's sweet potatoe fries as I've had others with no issues, but their contains barly malt. :( I didn't check their regular fries, but I know their smiles had something I couldn't eat (though now I'm not sure what it was) :blink:

I was hesitant with McDonald's but I haven't had any issues. I've asked at Culver's too. The store I was at had a dedicated fryer.

lovegrov Collaborator

I'd avoid them. I keep getting told that high temperatures will kill any CC, but I don't believe that to be true. One night a few months back, I made the mistake after a 10:30pm class and was starving and got some fries and was sick right away and was sick for about 3 days without any sign of it ending. I was in so much pain, I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. I wouldn't get fries from any fast food place. I just get McCain super fries and do it myself.

It won't "kill" it because it isn't alive. An extremely high temp will in fact render the proteins harmless, but fryers don't get that hot AND anything that hot will also turn your food into an inedible black lump.

richard

i-geek Rookie

Five Guys burger joints have safe fries. They only do french fries in the fryers. Mmm...

julandjo Explorer

Watch the McCain's. I bought McCain's sweet potatoe fries as I've had others with no issues, but their contains barly malt. :( I didn't check their regular fries, but I know their smiles had something I couldn't eat (though now I'm not sure what it was) :blink:

I was hesitant with McDonald's but I haven't had any issues. I've asked at Culver's too. The store I was at had a dedicated fryer.

Careful - I checked the Culver's website and it says their fries contain gluten!! Open Original Shared Link

MelindaLee Contributor

Careful - I checked the Culver's website and it says their fries contain gluten!! Open Original Shared Link

I have seen their nutrition information, but I don't think they tried very hard. I asked at the actual local store, and they checked the ingrediants on the package which were fine. Maybe different stores use different distributor and have differnt lables? They also have 100% meat burgers but won't claim they are safe. Though the store was also able to ensure that they don't get cooked anywhere other products are. I haven't had an issue, but I respect that that may not be the same for others or other stores.

rainer83 Newbie

McCains extra crispy have rice flour and are gluten free. Their flavoured wedges on the other hand are not.

i-geek Rookie

I wonder if it's CYA- the fries themselves don't contain gluten, but this warning covers all the restaurants that don't use dedicated fryers and thus drop the fries in the same oil as battered stuff.

Archived