• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone. After 2 1/2 months of D that I could not make stop, I finally went to the doctor who ran standard blood tests and stool cultures and ordered an ultrasound (suspecting my gallbladder). All were negative, so I was sent to the gastro who immediately asked me if I were of Irish decent. She suspects celiac and after poking my nose around here and other sites seems to make the most sense to me too. It certainly would explain years and years of digestion issues for me.

I've never had a test like this before and I must say I'm pretty nervous. Biopsies of your small intestines? That's gotta be unpleasant. I've been off gluten for 2 days (I know, I know--back on the bad stuff starting Saturday). I'd just like to know what to expect.

Hi everyone. After 2 1/2 months of D that I could not make stop, I finally went to the doctor who ran standard blood tests and stool cultures and ordered an ultrasound (suspecting my gallbladder). All were negative, so I was sent to the gastro who immediately asked me if I were of Irish decent. She suspects celiac and after poking my nose around here and other sites seems to make the most sense to me too. It certainly would explain years and years of digestion issues for me.

I've never had a test like this before and I must say I'm pretty nervous. Biopsies of your small intestines? That's gotta be unpleasant. I've been off gluten for 2 days (I know, I know--back on the bad stuff starting Saturday). I'd just like to know what to expect.

I asked to be put to sleep and they did. It was not bad at all.

My Irish descent was a clue for my doctor too. Please don't be afraid of the endoscopy! It's absolutely the easiest test I've ever had. You'll lie down on a gurney w/ nice warm blankets. They'll put in an IV so they can give you the anesthesia thru it. They'll shoot some lovely sleep medicine in there and you'll wake up when it's over. You might have the tiniest bit of a sore throat from the tubing going down, but it's really nothing! You won't feel where they've taken biopsies of your small intestine and you'll might want to take a lovely nap when you get home. There's NO prep... just keep your diet light for a day or 2 before and eat nothing after the time they tell you.

Of all the things the medical community can dream up to do to you, that doesn't sound terrible. Thank you for responding. I was anticipating feeling sore in the intestinal area. I must say I'm NOT looking forward to eating gluten again. I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I've got the best family in the world who have agreed to have the house be gluten free if this is positive. With 3 sons, there's too much chance for cc. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt my son, who has autism, to be gluten free. I've always shied away from this diet because it was such a large commitment and he showed no gastrointestinal issues (like so many of them do), but does have stained enamel on his teeth. Perhaps a clue? Only time will tell.

I forgot to ask, how long until I get results?

Hi TooManyHats! Your story sounds like mine only I have to wait till end of January to get my endo. (and they didn't ask me about Irish although I am part) Let us know how it goes,

Best wishes,

Make sure your doctor takes at least six samples from different areas in the small bowel. Damage can be patchy so multiple samples will help up the odds they get what they need.

I'm having an upper and lower endocopy on Wednesday, so we can feel nervous together! I've heard it isn't so bad, as everyone has stated - but I'm still nervous ;).

Mine is coming after years of issues, and I finally found someone to listen to me! A nurse practioner at a GI's office - and she thinks its possibly IBS, probably Celiac's and/or Crohn's. Yay...

Oddly enough, I'm VERY Irish. Like, 2/3rds Irish :0). Is this common among those with Irish descent?

The lovely snowstorm we got here in the NE has postponed my colonoscopy, which was originally scheduled for tomorrow. Both will now be done on Thursday.

Could someone please tell me when I might expect to hear results on the endoscopy?

Either way I'm gluten-free starting Thursday. We're doing an overhaul of the kitchen next weekend. :rolleyes:

It sounds like we are in very similar situations- I have my endoscopy on Thursday too. I've been back on gluten after a 4 or 5 day hiatus for 2 weeks now, and it is miserable. In fact, I felt worse going back on gluten after being off for even a few days than I ever did just eating it solidly (that's finally starting to get better). However, if it means a good test result, then it'll be worth it in the end. I'm surprised you didn't have to start eating gluten sooner- I was going to have to wait until much later for my endoscopy had I not gotten back on the gluten right away. I only went off to see if that would help me get through finals and a wedding without being sick; it did. 4 or 5 days isn't enough time for any damage to heal, so that's why I'm still good for the test. I'm sure you'll do fine though, your doctor certainly knows a lot more than I do. I hope Thursday goes well for both of us- the sooner we get it over with the sooner we get to eat gluten free! I plan on celebrating with a big pan of gluten-free brownies