Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daizednconphused

Celiac With No Symptoms?

Hi, I'm new here and totally confused so I thought someone here could enlighten me. I've been raising my Autistic grandson for 18 years and he's never had any kind of digestive problems. Very healthy, but autistic , intellectually challenged and has ADHD. Last summer he started losing weight (he had always been a kid that had to wear "husky" clothes.) I took him to the Doctor and she ran some tests and the results were that he had Celiac disease. We were sent to a gastroenterologist to have the surgical test done, but when my grandson heard the words "cut" pertaining to his stomach he said "NO" and since he had just turned 18 years old there was nothing we could do to force him to have the test. A day or two later the GI called and said she had gone over the results of his blood work and decided that it was not even necessary to have the test because his blood work was "off the charts' and he definitely had Celiac.

We've been gluten-free since then, I hope. I have changed everything I can think of from toothpaste, laundry soap, deoderant, shampoo, noodles, bread and on and on and on to make sure he is gluten free, but how do we tell? If he never had any symptoms to begin with. I see no changes in anything since we went gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Since he was diagnosed with positive blood work it would be a good idea to have the blood work redone after he has been gluten-free for six months or so. If the antibody levels have dropped down then you know you are doing well with the diet. Do be sure to take precautions against cross contamination like his haveing his own toaster, not sharing condiments, butter, nut butters etc with gluten eaters and be careful if your baking with flour as that will become airborne and CC him. It would also be a good idea to have all other family members tested. You may want to consider making him dairy free for a while also.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

how long has he been gluten free?? I would assume u may see neurological and behavioral changes in him. Good luck with everything

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

I do hope you see some positive behavioral changes. I'm hoping to see the same thing with my son who has autism when we all go gluten-free. I understand it can take 3 to 6 months to see behavioral changes, but this is the gluten-free/casein-free diet. I hope I don't have to go that far, but am certainly open to it if that becomes the case. Good luck! I'd love to hear back from you when he's been on the diet for a while.

I, too, had no visual symptoms except unexplained weight loss. I have no symptoms when I eat gluten today after being gluten free 7 months. My only confirmation is that I have gained back the 25 lbs. I lost. It is a very diverse disease, isn't it. I'm glad you found out so that your grandson can heal and grow to be a healthy 'old man'! :)

Diagnosed with Lymphoma March 2010. After surgery doctors said "Oops!"

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2010. After endoscopy doc said "Aren't you glad?"

Uhhh.....yeah!

DD #1 ('99) tested negative on bloodwork but positive on 2 genetic markers. Went gluten free in July 2010 and has been symptom-free ever since!

DD #2 ('98) tested negative and has no symptoms. Didn't fork out money for genetic testing. Will watch and test regularly.

Husband tested positive in July 2010 and has refused to go gluten free. Uh huh, that's gonna bite him in the a** one day! (Pun intended!)