This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Spices And Such

JacobsMom

JacobsMom Contributor

Do yall know if the Garlic Power, salt and regular spices are gluten-free? I have noticed in Wild Oats and the places online that they sell spices but I didnt think that spices I would have to be worried about. I havent really lookes at the labels on any of them b/c being so new to the diet we havent gotten really brave to spice anything up with anything other than BBQ sauce.. ;)

I did freak out the other night b/c hubby put a ham seasoning in the peas and I saw the word YEAST....my MIL said yeast is fine....I think of bread when I see the word yeast...I just paniced...

thanks for your help...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Brandi-

I have yet to find very many spices with gluten in them, mostly taco seasoning in the bag, so make sure you ck on those. Some are okay. The brand I use most of the time for spices is McCormick. They will not hide gluten on their labels, and if there is no ingredient list on a spice like "thyme", it means the spice is pure, and has no other additives. I shop at Wild Oats too, but unfortunately haven't used any of their spices. I'm sure you could call them and ask about it. Happy cooking! :P

PS-McCormick's extracts are okay too.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I use McCormick spices...they are like a Kraft brand and will clearly list wheat,rye,barley,oats if it contains any :D

bmorrow Rookie

I use McCormick spices and Kraft barbecue sauce or Cattlemen's. I also purchased some special seasonings from the Gluten-Free Pantry.

cdford Contributor

Tone's, Durkee, and Spice Islands are okay as well unless the label says differently. You mostly have to be concerned about the cheaper brands or the mixes. If in doubt, check with the manufacturer.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I use McCormick or the actual plant for spices. Those are the safest spices since McCormick will clearly indicate gluten, and well obviously the spice plants are gluten-free ;) I sometimes use Club House but they have a specific gluten-free list (I can post it if you are interested). McCormick and Club House both recommend to use their smaller containers since the larger ones have a higher chance of cross contamination. Hope this helps B)

Lesliean Apprentice

I'm hooked on the Spice Hunter's spices. Does anyone else use them and are they ok? I called them and they said they don't add gluten but don't keep a gluten free plant.

Is Kraft bar b que sauce gluten free? I could never find out and you would make my recently diagnosed daughter very happy if you say yes. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Anything made by Kraft will clearly have gluten listed in the ingredients if it's there.

richard

lbsteenwyk Explorer

I use Penzey's spices. They are available by mail order. Nearly all of their products are gluten free. They have some awesome herb and spice combinations and are reasonably priced.

Open Original Shared Link

Merika Contributor

As posted, stick with major brands that you can verify as gluten-free. I stay away from all Indian spices, and other spices not from the US. Sad, because i really like them and they're much cheaper, but also more likely to cut their spices with wheat - it both prevents "caking" and adds bulk.

Watch out also for packaged medicinal chinese herbs in powder form, as most/many of them have wheat added and *do not say so on the label*. My chinese doc actually called china to verify this after my mother had a particularly nasty reaction to some powdered meds.

Merika

Archived