Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mizzo

Is Lots Of Gas Normal?

My DD was confirmed Celiac in April and has been Gluten free since. She has always had more than average gas, I attributed it to gluten. Well gluten free 7 months now and still lots of gas.

More than the average kid.

The typical gas producing foods are NOT prevalent in her diet. ie : cabbage, broccoli etc.. she does not have more than average amount of sweets. Of course more in the last week but it's been going on longer than that, and No stomach pains accompany it.

Is this a stage people go thru when healing? Is there a natural aid for it? Any idea's!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My DD was confirmed Celiac in April and has been Gluten free since. She has always had more than average gas, I attributed it to gluten. Well gluten free 7 months now and still lots of gas.

More than the average kid.

The typical gas producing foods are NOT prevalent in her diet. ie : cabbage, broccoli etc.. she does not have more than average amount of sweets. Of course more in the last week but it's been going on longer than that, and No stomach pains accompany it.

Is this a stage people go thru when healing? Is there a natural aid for it? Any idea's!!

Lactose (milk sugar) or casein (milk protein) intolerances both can cause gas. Actually, maybe any intolerance could produce gas: Gas (if I'm not mistaken) is a sign that some food is not being digested properly.

Some newly-diagnosed celiacs are temporarily dairy intolerant...for others it's permenant. Lactose is digested on the ends of the villi that are damaged by gluten in those who are celiac. When the villi heal it's better.

You could try cutting out milk/dairy/cream/butter entirely and see if that helps. Or limit dairy and use lactaid pills and lactaid milk to see if that helps and if it doesn't, then eliminate dairy entirely.

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

And for natural remedies, I like peppermint tea, which would be very soothing for a kid. Lemon balm tea is also an idea. I think there are also peppermint pills, but I've never tried them.

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

google Fructose Malabsorption & the FODmap diet-> it's helped me a lot- i have to avoid many of those foods.

other than that- take a look at the most popular culprits:

Dairy, Corn, and Soy.

and some of us have issues with Legumes & Beans

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Follow up.

for last 3 days:

I am using Lactaid milk only, am using active enzyme only yogurt and hard cheeses. Is that enough because it maybe slowed down a smidge but not much.

How many days before I see a difference? any idea's

Follow up.

for last 3 days:

I am using Lactaid milk only, am using active enzyme only yogurt and hard cheeses. Is that enough because it maybe slowed down a smidge but not much.

How many days before I see a difference? any idea's

Unfortunately, that's impossible to answer. Some people see remarkable changes in days, some people take months, others take a couple years.

"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

For me having any amount of gas means I have consumed something I should not have.

Soy gives me the WORST gas ever but no abdominal discomfort until the D .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10