This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Lots Of Gas Normal?

Mizzo

Mizzo Enthusiast

My DD was confirmed Celiac in April and has been Gluten free since. She has always had more than average gas, I attributed it to gluten. Well gluten free 7 months now and still lots of gas.

More than the average kid.

The typical gas producing foods are NOT prevalent in her diet. ie : cabbage, broccoli etc.. she does not have more than average amount of sweets. Of course more in the last week but it's been going on longer than that, and No stomach pains accompany it.

Is this a stage people go thru when healing? Is there a natural aid for it? Any idea's!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyberprof Enthusiast

My DD was confirmed Celiac in April and has been Gluten free since. She has always had more than average gas, I attributed it to gluten. Well gluten free 7 months now and still lots of gas.

More than the average kid.

The typical gas producing foods are NOT prevalent in her diet. ie : cabbage, broccoli etc.. she does not have more than average amount of sweets. Of course more in the last week but it's been going on longer than that, and No stomach pains accompany it.

Is this a stage people go thru when healing? Is there a natural aid for it? Any idea's!!

Lactose (milk sugar) or casein (milk protein) intolerances both can cause gas. Actually, maybe any intolerance could produce gas: Gas (if I'm not mistaken) is a sign that some food is not being digested properly.

Some newly-diagnosed celiacs are temporarily dairy intolerant...for others it's permenant. Lactose is digested on the ends of the villi that are damaged by gluten in those who are celiac. When the villi heal it's better.

You could try cutting out milk/dairy/cream/butter entirely and see if that helps. Or limit dairy and use lactaid pills and lactaid milk to see if that helps and if it doesn't, then eliminate dairy entirely.

Wolicki Enthusiast

Digestive enzymes can help a LOT for some people. Did for me!

GFreeMO Proficient

I am a gas machine. I think it's part of the healing process. I have also been glutened 4 times in the last 2 months and that sure didn't help matters.

cyberprof Enthusiast

And for natural remedies, I like peppermint tea, which would be very soothing for a kid. Lemon balm tea is also an idea. I think there are also peppermint pills, but I've never tried them.

cassP Contributor

google Fructose Malabsorption & the FODmap diet-> it's helped me a lot- i have to avoid many of those foods.

other than that- take a look at the most popular culprits:

Dairy, Corn, and Soy.

and some of us have issues with Legumes & Beans

Mizzo Enthusiast

Follow up.

for last 3 days:

I am using Lactaid milk only, am using active enzyme only yogurt and hard cheeses. Is that enough because it maybe slowed down a smidge but not much.

How many days before I see a difference? any idea's

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shopgirl Contributor

Follow up.

for last 3 days:

I am using Lactaid milk only, am using active enzyme only yogurt and hard cheeses. Is that enough because it maybe slowed down a smidge but not much.

How many days before I see a difference? any idea's

Unfortunately, that's impossible to answer. Some people see remarkable changes in days, some people take months, others take a couple years.

cahill Collaborator

For me having any amount of gas means I have consumed something I should not have.

Soy gives me the WORST gas ever but no abdominal discomfort until the D .

Archived