Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shopgirl

Anyone Use Pond's Dry Skin Cream?

I found an old post here with a response from Pond's saying they don't add gluten but they can't guarantee gluten-free, etc. but I was wondering if anyone used it (or any Pond's cream) without issue.

I've become momentarily paranoid.

"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use it daily without a problem.

I've suffered from intestinal problems since childhood.

Age 30--I was told I had IBS and that I'd just have to "get used to it".

Age 33--I went wheat-free and felt a little better.

Age 36--A friend was diagnosed with celiac disease and recommended that I get tested too. I demanded a test even though the doctor assured me I did "not want it". Test was positive and I have been gluten free ever since.

Age 37 and Counting--I never would have guessed my body could feel this great! :)

Thank you, Molly! Just wanted to the reassurance.

Sorry to tell you this - but do not take anyone's word unless you find out for yourself. I just wrote Ponds and this is the response I got.....

Thank you for writing us regarding Pond's Cold Cream .

Pond's Moisturizers and Cleansers are not necessarily gluten-free. We use plant based materials such as starches and wheat proteins regularly in our products.

We recommend that you consult with your physician as to whether your exposure to grain derivatives from the use of personal care products will cause the symptoms of Celiac-Sprue Disease or any other health problem.

Sincerely,

Your friends at Pond's

Does that mean I shouldn't use it?

Not necessarily. Individual sensitivities to personal care products vary. I try to avoid the gluten bearing cosmetic stuff as much as possible, for I have very sensitive skin and my face and scalp are much healthier looking off of it. I don't want to be putting wheat laden conditioner all over my hair, yuck, it won't rinse out all the way and then it could be on my pillow, etc. Also, my spouse glutened me when he kept using moisturizer after a shower, and didn't wash his hands, and then did food preparation, including scooping ice with his bare hands into my glass. If I can smell something on another person... it's there, who's to say if there is residue or not. That was when I started replacing stuff.

My theory is that this way I don't have to worry about it, it's just one more micro cross contamination in the chain I'm attempting to break.

I found an old post here with a response from Pond's saying they don't add gluten but they can't guarantee gluten-free, etc. but I was wondering if anyone used it (or any Pond's cream) without issue.

I've become momentarily paranoid.

I called Ponds and asked them about a product I Was using. A moisturizer. They told me it had no gluten in it as the rest of their products. I am new at this and find calling these companies is not always true answers. So discouraging at times.

I called Ponds and asked them about a product I Was using. A moisturizer. They told me it had no gluten in it as the rest of their products. I am new at this and find calling these companies is not always true answers. So discouraging at times.

No kidding. A pox on gluten's house.